What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 338 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Holst - The Planets

Sibelius - Symphony no.5

Hi BBB,

Spotted your long list of recent purchases in one of the other threads and wondered whether you'd played the Richard Strauss LP yet?

No, net yet, Charlie. Is it a good listen?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
I'd say so, yes. A wonderful composer and that's a great example. I've got another recording, I'm certain yours will be exemplary.

Thanks Charlie, I might well give it a go in the morning. I have another record by him which has 'Also Sprach Zarathustra' on it, amongst other things, might give that a go too.

Currently listening to Brian Eno - Apollo through Amazon Prime Music. Moody. *dirol*

'An Ending' has to be close to the most beautiful piece of music ever.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim_W said:
Brought some lps back from my mum's...couldn't resist:

David Bowie: 'The Man Who Sold The World'. Still my favourite.

David Bowie: 'Ziggy Stardust'.

David Bowie: 'Hunky Dory'.

David Bowie: 'Changesonebowie'.

I did have a nice copy of 'Space Oddity' but God knows where that's gone. She's probably flogged it.

+ a few I found recently digging through market-stall crates:

Charlie Mingus: 'Blues And Roots'.

Harold Land: 'The Fox'.

Ornette Coleman: 'Something Else!!!!'. Still sounds like a threat to the jazz establishment.

John Coltrane: 'Africa/Brass'.

John Coltrane: 'Coltrane'.

Kenny Burrell: 'Midnight Blue'.

Sonny Rollins: 'A Night At The Village Vanguard'.

What a haul!!!!

I was out with one of my friends last night and his only concession to "jazz"'is that Kenny Burrell LP, acquired from his Dad. My mate is an incredible sound engineer (his job) and has broad tastes but is resistant to the thing we call "jazz" and Radiohead.

Currently celebrating my official lack of paid employment today, with a long walk around Bretton and its environs (sheep and sculptures), and now food prep, booze and music:

Japan: Traditional Vocal & Instrumental Music - Ensemble Nipponia

"An Alpine Symphony"'- Richard Strauss/Kempe/RPO

Glassworks - Phillip Glass

Reinhardt & Grappelli w/Quintet Of The Hot Club Of France.

You're Dead - Flying Lotus

III/IV - Ryan Adams & The Cardinals

1989 - Ryan Adams

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

R-5117138-1384962045-8597.jpeg.jpg

Thanks Charlie

It really is a great sounding record, and it might take me a while to really get it as it's very complicated, but even on first listen, I like it.

I can't imagine a CD could sound this alive.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Thanks Charlie

It really is a great sounding record, and it might take me a while to really get it as it's very complicated, but even on first listen, I like it.

I'm glad the first spin went well. As you know DG recordings are usually top quality.

Ein Heldenleben is a remarkable work and was one of my entry points to his vast repetoire, courtesy of my Dad's thousands of recordings. I've been nurtured to love Richard Strauss and Mahler (two of my Dad's heroes) from an early age and naturally I rejected them vehemently in my teenage angst years, only to wholly embrace them in recent decades.

I really love the "Alpine Symphony" (not a symphony in terms of the usual movement form but more formally known as a tone poem) and whatever classification it's given doesn't really matter as it's truly magnificent. The use of a large orchestra and all the brass in there make in a revelatory recording. Heresy here, but my favourite is an SACD of it conducted by Bernard Haitink.

I haven't always warmed to voice in classical music but it's his music again that has opened up a love of it. Four Last Songs and just about any of his operas, from the more tragically romantic Der Rosenkavalier to the startling newness of Elektra or Salome have shown me a whole new world of sound.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Love Mahler, especially the otherworldly and ethereal 9th symphony. Big fan of the 1st symphony too. I find voices a bit difficult too; 'Das lied Von Der Erde' for example!

Don't know much about Strauss though unfortunately.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim_W said:
Love Mahler, especially the otherworldly and ethereal 9th symphony. Big fan of the 1st symphony too.

I have symphonies 1, 4, 7 & 8, but no 9, so I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Thanks Charlie

I'm glad the first spin went well. As you know DG recordings are usually top quality.

Ein Heldenleben is a remarkable work and was one of my entry points to his vast repetoire, courtesy of my Dad's thousands of recordings. I've been nurtured to love Richard Strauss and Mahler (two of my Dad's heroes) from an early age and naturally I rejected them vehemently in my teenage angst years, only to wholly embrace them in recent decades.

I really love the "Alpine Symphony" (not a symphony in terms of the usual movement form but more formally known as a tone poem) and whatever classification it's given doesn't really matter as it's truly magnificent. The use of a large orchestra and all the brass in there make in a revelatory recording. Heresy here, but my favourite is an SACD of it conducted by Bernard Haitink.

I haven't always warmed to voice in classical music but it's his music again that has opened up a love of it. Four Last Songs and just about any of his operas, from the more tragically romantic Der Rosenkavalier to the startling newness of Elektra or Salome have shown me a whole new world of sound.

I can see your very passionate about Mahler and Richard Strauss, and the small bits I've heard have impressed me greatly. I'm always up for a musical education, so any knowledge you can pass my way would be much appreciated. Same for Jim, Freddy and anyone else.

As you know, I do have quite a few classical records (about 150), some from composers I'd never heard of, so I guess a good way of learning would be to work my way through them. The problem I have, is I can't stop buying records, so I never seem to have the time to listen to a minority of my new aquisitions, let alone work my way through a whole section. So any kind of help would be appreciated.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Thanks Charlie

Today:

Mahler - Syphony no.9 (streamed)

And on vinyl:

Talk Talk - Colour Of Spring

Shangri-Las - Their Greatest Hits (Teen Anguish Vol.2)

Some wonderful stuff on the Shangri-Las

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Jim_W said:
Love Mahler, especially the otherworldly and ethereal 9th symphony.

Me too – the 9th, that is – simply wonderful. Especially the final movement. Just gorgeous.

Today:

Mogwai – Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait
Roots Manuva – Bleeds
Grimes – Art Angels
Wolf Alice – My Love Is Cool
Julia Holter – Tragedy

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Thanks Charlie

I can see your very passionate about Mahler and Richard Strauss, and the small bits I've heard have impressed me greatly. I'm always up for a musical education, so any knowledge you can pass my way would be much appreciated. Same for Jim, Freddy and anyone else.

As you know, I do have quite a few classical records (about 150), some from composers I'd never heard of, so I guess a good way of learning would be to work my way through them. The problem I have, is I can't stop buying records, so I never seem to have the time to listen to a minority of my new aquisitions, let alone work my way through a whole section. So any kind of help would be appreciated.

Hi BBB,

I know very little other than what I've gleaned from my Dad, he's seen and heard most of it performed live too which I think is essential with orchestral music, but I'm happy to share any slender bits I know.

As you say, listening is the best way, but like with my further entry into jazz, a context and a friendly guide (my late father in law and Jim here) have been invaluable. Often of the "you've heard this, what about this next" type of progression. We are all passing it on or the recipients of someone's insights.

Current/recent listening:

Every Man Has His Critics - Scott Wainwright

Glassworks - Phillip Glass

Girls In Peacetime . . . Belle & Sebastian

Laughing Stock & Spirit of Eden & solo Hollis

Hand On The Torch - US 3

(this last one is wholly execrable courtesy of utterly unwarranted rap circa early 90s!)

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Filles De Kilimanjaro - Miles Davis

Good?

Yes, this and it's predecessor Miles In The Sky and successor, In A Silent Way, pave the way for the sonics on Bitches Brew. I love Nefertiti too, and they all do more for me than BB, in the sense that there is a subtle evolving experimentation, rather than the full on fusion and abstract blast of Brew.

They are all delicacies with hidden, naturally organic flavours compared to the Heston Blumentall of Bitches.

(Jim, BBB, anyone - shoot me now and cart me off to the designated room corner for such linguistic crimes).

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:

Good?

Yes, this and it's predecessor Miles In The Sky and successor, In A Silent Way, pave the way for the sonics on Bitches Brew. I love Nefertiti too, and they all do more for me than BB, in the sense that there is a subtle evolving experimentation, rather than the full on fusion and abstract blast of Brew.

They are all delicacies with hidden, naturally organic flavours compared to the Heston Blumentall of Bitches.

(Jim, BBB, anyone - shoot me now and cart me off to the designated room corner for such linguistic crimes).

But you still like Bitches Brew, don't you. That's ok then.

I understand what you're saying, and I'm looking to add a few more Miles Davis albums to the collection, the only problem I have (and it's quite a big one), is that I've run out of space for new records. Genuinely, no room at the Inn. I need to get back to quality, not quantity.

So I have to make a decision, either I weed out some of the cr*p and sell it, or I weed out some of the cr*p and stick it in the attic.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Listened again to the Richard Strauss, really nice.

R-5117138-1384962045-8597.jpeg.jpg

Now going to work my way through my classical collection, starting with.

51DETvWXfLL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

konectime

Jan 28, 2016
Visit site
Check out the Fire Suburbs thread of my thoughts!

http://www.konectime.com/home.html

Just check it. You may find many interestings vinyl posts on this website.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
as album covers would be nice to post... anyway, a list.

Godspeed you Black Emperor - Yanqui U.X. O

Tricky - False Idols

Peter Gabriel - 4

Perfume Genius - Too Bright

Radiohead - OK Computer

Prodigy - Fat of the Land

DJ Shadow - Endtroducing

Muse - Origin of Symmetry

Tracy Chapman - Fast Car 12" Single EKR73T (Sounds incredibly good) £1.99 at BHF shop.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:

Good?

But you still like Bitches Brew, don't you. That's ok then.

I understand what you're saying, and I'm looking to add a few more Miles Davis albums to the collection, the only problem I have (and it's quite a big one), is that I've run out of space for new records. Genuinely, no room at the Inn. I need to get back to quality, not quantity.

So I have to make a decision, either I weed out some of the cr*p and sell it, or I weed out some of the cr*p and stick it in the attic.

Yes, if you'll pardon the phrasing, I still like Bitches.

The vague upside of no job, zero cash to spend on records, means I haven't got to worry about where new discs are housed, there aren't any or many presently.

It has meant I've found time to go to less travelled places in my collection. And the paradox of having no wife to worry about (what I listen, how loudly and where do I put all of them) has created another surprising anxiety, namely, do I really need all these records??

Don't get me wrong - I'm not selling 90% of my vinyl - but as you are pondering too BBB, by the sound of it, what do I do with all dross? I used to defend my need to keep it (it's a library of my past and all that c-rap!), well yes, it is to a point but do I really need to find a home, my home, for records I haven't played for 20-30 years?

I have been forced by circumstance to sell a few of the more valuable pieces of dross (Goldfrapp, The Cranberries. . .) just to have some ready cash coming in but most of the rest is worthless in cash terms.

Sorry, I'm edging towards full disclosure mode - and that's without the booze - so I'll pause there.

Good luck BBB!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts