What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 336 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim_W said:
Ike Quebec: 'Blue And Sentimental'. A bit battered, but then so am I. Great lp to listen to at this time of night with a drink or ten. *smile*

Anything that comes with such high alcohol intake recommendation must be worth a try. Then again I'd probably give house room to a "Gary Barlow - The Lulu Years" box set of out-takes after ten drinks of something decent.

Richard Strauss last night was wonderful and exuberant. Life affirming stuff.

Today, so far:

Soutak - Aziza Brahim

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
Freddy58 said:
Carly Simon - 'Boys In The Trees'

Joe Walsh - 'But Seriously Folks'

Wishbone Ash - 'Argus'

Focus - 'Moving Waves'

Argus? Now that's an album I haven't played in a while. Ash's best I feel, and Focus well, one of the best bands to come out of the Netherlands.

I agree
thumbs_up.gif

Some rather good bass tones on Moving Waves *smile*

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Burial – Kindred.

I'll confess I'm being too lazy to put the record on right now as I've had an exhasuting day, so I'm playing a digital copy, but it is still an absolute slab of concrete beauty.

thescarletpronster said:
Burial – Kindred.

I'll confess I'm being too lazy to put the record on right now as I've had an exhasuting day, so I'm playing a digital copy, but it is still an absolute slab of concrete beauty.

Heretic! Digital copy indeed, this is a vinyl thread :)

Must admit I do they same occasionally when flitting around the house m

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Charles Mingus: 'Mingus Ah Um'. Great in mono. Brilliant and accessible Mingus. Great soloists.

Charles Mingus:' Tijuana Moods'. Mono.

Charles Mingus: 'The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady'. Mono.

Charles Mingus: 'East Coasting'.

Charles Mingus: 'Passions Of A Man' 3 lp Atlantic Anthology.

+ related

Booker Ervin: 'The Blues Book'.

Booker Ervin: 'The Freedom Book'.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim_W said:
Charles Mingus: 'Mingus Ah Um'. Great in mono. Brilliant and accessible Mingus. Great soloists.

+ related

Hi Jim,

I love the first, second and fourth on your list, don't know the others. You were certainly of a certain mood for that session.

Thursday pre-night out records:

Blood On The Tracks (!)

Electronic - Electronic

The best electro-pop album ever made, right?

Girls In Peacetime - Belle & Sebastian

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
Electronic - Electronic

What is it about Electronic, PSB, and New Order that I just don't like? I don't know, but none of them do anything for me, apart from the odd track.

So in answer to your question Charlie, no.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Jim_W said:

+ related

Hi Jim,

I love the first, second and fourth on your list, don't know the others. You were certainly of a certain mood for that session.

Blood On The Tracks (!)

Electronic - Electronic

Hi Charlie...I'd been listening to Duke Ellington and fancied some Mingus; I guess I'm getting into composition and arrangements. Records like Gil Evans: 'Out Of The Cool' for example. Dunno why...it just happened!

'Black Saint etc' is supposed to be his masterpiece (yawn) but I prefer 'Mingus Ah Um' ; 'Black Saint' is damn difficult to find on record though; it features quite a bit of erm musical/sexual imagery! 'Anthology' or 'Passions Of A man' is just a pretty thorough Atlantic period greatest hits or best tunes!

The Booker Ervin records are recommended listens; I always buy his stuff if I ever come across it. he was Mingus' tenor player for a good while. Passionate and intense stuff. 'The Freedom Book' is highly recommended.

No use asking me about electronica...it's one of many blind spots. Must play 'Blood On The Tracks' soon; haven't heard it in ages. Great choice.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim_W said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Jim_W said:

+ related

Hi Jim,

Blood On The Tracks (!)

Electronic - Electronic

Hi Charlie...I'd been listening to Duke Ellington and fancied some Mingus; I guess I'm getting into composition and arrangements. Records like Gil Evans: 'Out Of The Cool' for example. Dunno why...it just happened!

'Black Saint etc' is supposed to be his masterpiece (yawn) but I prefer 'Mingus Ah Um' ; 'Black Saint' is damn difficult to find on record though; it features quite a bit of erm musical/sexual imagery! 'Anthology' or 'Passions Of A man' is just a pretty thorough Atlantic period greatest hits or best tunes!

The Booker Ervin records are recommended listens; I always buy his stuff if I ever come across it. he was Mingus' tenor player for a good while. Passionate and intense stuff. 'The Freedom Book' is highly recommended.

No use asking me about electronica...it's one of many blind spots. Must play 'Blood On The Tracks' soon; haven't heard it in ages. Great choice.

Hi Jim,

Most interesting and erudite, as usual. Tracking Black Saint now.

Currently playing:

Every Man Has His Critics - Scott Wainwright.

The Epic - Kemasi Washington

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
You know, occasionally, you could be mistaken for a man with tatste. I think 'Adventure' is a damn fine record too; not the critic's choice but I think it's as good as 'Marquee Moon'...just a bit different. In fact I'll play Television tonight! Cheers!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim_W said:
You know, occasionally, you could be mistaken for a man with tatste.

No, I definitely don't have that, is it painful? *blum3*

Jim_W said:
I think 'Adventure' is a damn fine record too; not the critic's choice but I think it's as good as 'Marquee Moon'...just a bit different. In fact I'll play Television tonight! Cheers!

Never heard it, but will keep an eye out for it.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

And now playing:

Miles Davis - In A Silent Way (side one only, wife was complaining)

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew (one track only, wife was still complaining)

Hovercraft - Akathisia (she's not had time to complain yet)

TRENDING THREADS