What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 310 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Roy Harper - 'The Return Of The Sophisticated Beggar'

Autumn must be his season...I've played this and 'Folkjokeopus' today. 'Stormcock' is the one though...but I'm sure you aleady knew that, Freddy. 'Flat Baroque And Beserk' is pretty damn good too.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
Volition - Krakatau

BBB, I don't know if you know this LP but I think it might be your kind of thing.

If Hovercraft played fragmented jazz??

Hi Charlie, and thanks for the recommendation.

I couldn't find that album to listen to anywhere, but I heard a few samples of the tracks, and I had a listen on you tube to some of their live stuff.

Sorry, but it's not for me. I do struggle with the sax as an instrument, and I tend not to like the sound of it when it's used in a maniacal way. Being a little bit brutal, I thought they looked like musos pretending not to be musos, and I just wanted to give them a good slap. *biggrin*

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Volition - Krakatau

BBB, I don't know if you know this LP but I think it might be your kind of thing.

If Hovercraft played fragmented jazz??

Hi Charlie, and thanks for the recommendation.

I couldn't find that album to listen to anywhere, but I heard a few samples of the tracks, and I had a listen on you tube to some of their live stuff.

Sorry, but it's not for me. I do struggle with the sax as an instrument, and I tend not to like the sound of it when it's used in a maniacal way. Being a little bit brutal, I thought they looked like musos pretending not to be musos, and I just wanted to give them a good slap. *biggrin*

Hi BBB,

A great review, I can see where you're coming from, even though I love the album.

Sax, maniacal preferably, is becoming one of my favourite brain stretching musical sounds. That said, it's the guitarist, drummer and bass player who really bring it all alive for me. Bullroarer from Volition is demonically good.

Other sounds:

Full Force & The Third Decade - Art Ensemble of Chicago

Highway 61 Revisited - Bob Dylan (played side 1 stereo, side 2 mono version)

The Controller Sphere - of Montreal

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Part of my backwards journey from Headhunters:

Mwandishi - Herbie Hancock

I've just today bought a re-issue of it. So far, so brilliant. A lot less funk and fusion based than Headhunters. Really good stuff.

Jim, or any other afficianados, do you have any other Herbie recommendations?

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Jim_W said:
Freddy58 said:
Roy Harper - 'The Return Of The Sophisticated Beggar'

Autumn must be his season...I've played this and 'Folkjokeopus' today. 'Stormcock' is the one though...but I'm sure you aleady knew that, Freddy. 'Flat Baroque And Beserk' is pretty damn good too.

Hiya Jim. I like pretty much all of his early stuff, up to and including 'Lifemask'. For me the classics are 'Stormcock' and 'Flat Baroque And Berserk', and couldn't really choose between them. Apart from the tunes, the thing I really like about 'Stormcock' are the guitar tones, so rich/rounded sounding. The thing that immediately struck me about Harper when I first heard him, was his voice. Something about it I find so warm and welcoming, and somehow honest? Probably talking shite, I do that sometimes *biggrin*

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
do you have any other Herbie recommendations?

Not exactly an aficianado, but I love Head Hunters. Didn't know about Mwandishi, will look out for it. I have a copy of Crossings (1972) on my shelf, haven't played it for years, will have to dust it off and see whether the reason I haven't played it is because I didn't like it..... will let you know.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
do you have any other Herbie recommendations?

Not exactly an aficianado, but I love Head Hunters. Didn't know about Mwandishi, will look out for it. I have a copy of Crossings (1972) on my shelf, haven't played it for years, will have to dust it off and see whether the reason I haven't played it is because I didn't like it..... will let you know.

Thanks TSP, I'll look forward to your findings. That must be one of the LPs inbetween Mwandishi and Headhunters, I presume.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Highway 61 Revisited - Bob Dylan (all in mono this time)

Trout Mask Replica - Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band

Music Complete - New Order

(I thought I'd never enjoy another NO album after the pale Get Ready years ago, but this re-emergence is pretty good).

Bringing It All Back Home - Bob (mono)

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
The best thing new thing I've heard this year has just had a belated vinyl release. It's sax-led, so BBB be warned or maybe you already know of it. I raved about it in digital form a while ago.

The Epic - Kemasi Washington.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
The best thing new thing I've heard this year has just had a belated vinyl release. It's sax-led, so BBB be warned or maybe you already know of it. I raved about it in digital form a while ago.

You did, Charlie. I think I checked it out before, and if I remember correctly, I wanted to slap him around too. *biggrin* Only joking, I can't remember what I thought of it to be honest.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Currently playing:

Thee Hypnotics - Come Down Heavy

Loving the music, but not 100% sure about Jim Jones's voice, it's a little characterless at times. I'm also disappointed with the condition of the VG+ record and sleeve, a VG would have been more accurate for both.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Hi Charlie

Yes, I have a couple of Herbie Hancock recommendations, both Blue Notes:

'Maiden Voyage.' and 'Empyrean Isle' are lovely acoustic piano Herbie Hancock. with great Blue Note line-ups. I really don't think much of 'Head Hunters' and that fusion stuff he did but I'm rather old school these days. Any Blue Note session with Hancock as leader or side-man is worth hearing.

The other great Herbie Hancock stuff is with Miles' second great quintet with Wayne Shorter, Tony Williams etc. Try 'Nefertiti', 'ESP' and 'Sorcerer' oh and 'Miles Smiles.' It's kind of free but never crosses into the absurdly chaotic....I think Miles said something about his idea was to play with time. Lovely, actually...I really must fetch mine down and play them.

Regards...hope things are ok, Charlie. Best wishes.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
...the fool...and the following lps:

Canned Heat: 'Cookbook.'

Robert Cray: 'Strong Persuader.'

Emore James: 'Tough.'

John Mayall: 'Looking Back.'

Lush: 'Spooky.' 'Gala' and 'Scar.'

Kenny Wheeler: 'Deer Wan'

Bill Evans: 'At Town Hall Volume One.'

Canned Heat and John Lee Hooker: 'Hooker 'n' Heat.'

Charles Mingus: 'East Coasting.'

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
No, Freddy, you're not talking nonsense; au contraire, I agree with you: he is a brilliant singer who communicates warmth, humanity and sincerity. A very underrated and very beautiful voice.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim_W said:
Hi Charlie

Yes, I have a couple of Herbie Hancock recommendations, both Blue Notes:

'Maiden Voyage.' and 'Empyrean Isle' are lovely acoustic piano Herbie Hancock. with great Blue Note line-ups. I really don't think much of 'Head Hunters' and that fusion stuff he did but I'm rather old school these days. Any Blue Note session with Hancock as leader or side-man is worth hearing.

The other great Herbie Hancock stuff is with Miles' second great quintet with Wayne Shorter, Tony Williams etc. Try 'Nefertiti', 'ESP' and 'Sorcerer' oh and 'Miles Smiles.' It's kind of free but never crosses into the absurdly chaotic....I think Miles said something about his idea was to play with time. Lovely, actually...I really must fetch mine down and play them.

Regards...hope things are ok, Charlie. Best wishes.

Thanks Jim, look forward to seeking out those titles. Your concise reviews are tantalising.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:

You did, Charlie. I think I checked it out before, and if I remember correctly, I wanted to slap him around too. *biggrin* Only joking, I can't remember what I thought of it to be honest.

More slap sax, than slap bass then?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Before hearing, and getting very annoyed by the football news, I played a few records.

Captain Beefheart - Ice Cream For Crow

Groundhogs - Split (side 1)

Jazz-Hip Trio - Jazz In Relief (side 2)

The Passions - 30,000 Feet Over China (side 1)

David Bowie - Low (side 2)

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
J
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Before hearing, and getting very annoyed by the football news, I played a few records.

Captain Beefheart - Ice Cream For Crow

Groundhogs - Split (side 1)

Jazz-Hip Trio - Jazz In Relief (side 2)

The Passions - 30,000 Feet Over China (side 1)

David Bowie - Low (side 2)

Woss fink of Split?

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Stanley Turrentine: 'Dearly Beloved.' Soulful Stan on tenor and his wife on Hammond B-3.

Hank Mobley:'No Room For Squares.' Great album title!!! Great Blue Note sleeve too.

Canned Heat:'Live At Topanga Corral.'

Freddy, I like 'Split' ....if it's important...I like 'Blues Obituary' and 'Thank Christ For The Bomb' too. The T S Mcphee solo albums are good too...and the ones with Jo Ann Kelly.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim_W said:
Stanley Turrentine: 'Dearly Beloved.' Soulful Stan on tenor and his wife on Hammond B-3.

After she split with husband Stanley, Shirley Scott worked quite regularly wth saxophonist, Harold Vick, but he became very disillusioned with being labelled a (wait for it) Turrentine Substitute. *mosking*

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Jim_W said:
Freddy, I like 'Split' ....if it's important...I like 'Blues Obituary' and 'Thank Christ For The Bomb' too. The T S Mcphee solo albums are good too...and the ones with Jo Ann Kelly.

Hiya Jim
thumbs_up.gif
I reckon Split is a fabulous album, one of my favourites. I've heard the other two you mention, but a long time ago, and I guess they didn't impress me at the time? I will though check them out again, following your input. Could you recommend a solo album or two?

I need to catch up with Canned Heat, just love 'Fried Hockey Boogie'!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts