What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
41fGbgNdVBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Island Story - 1962 to1987

My missus bought me this in 1987, and boy was vinyl thin and flimsy by that stage. The two LP's in this set really bend rather alarmingly. It's a big surprise therefore that it sounds as good as it does. Not played this in 20 years.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Burn.jpg
51-Pb5T%2B23L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Deep Purple Burn and Supertramp Breakfast in America.

Did a tour of the charity shops this morning and turned up nothing. One shop still has Court and Spark for £15 and Oxfam have a Camel and a Tina Turner for £8.99 each. My money stayed in the pocket.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Cracking album, forgot how good this one is. The Tracey Chapman one I listened to before has SOOOOO much more depth and emotion than the CD can recover.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
True Blue:

Cracking album, forgot how good this one is. The Tracey Chapman one I listened to before has SOOOOO much more depth and emotion than the CD can recover.

I was playing that last night, too. Jinx!

You're right, it is a great album. It's the only one that I have of his, but i'll defo be getting more.

You're right about Tracey's album, too. It's really natural sounding.

mickeyjoef

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Today has been a bit of a vinyl marathon.

All The Doors studio albums, the recent reissues, and then for some light relief "Frampton Comes Alive", and at the moment "Venus and Mars" by Wings ("The band The Beatles could have been" Alan Partridge).

Had a CD break in the middle of that lot, and listened to the new Mostly Autumn album "Go Well Diamond Heart". Highly recommended, if you like that prog-ish, classic rock kind of thing.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - I See A Darkness

This sounds great. Different to the CD. There's greater seperation present here. For example. there's more distinction between the voices on the dual-tracked vocal in the chorus of 'A Minor Place'.

Also, although it isn't advertised as such, it's a heavyweight pressing. It feels like a 200g, to me. Rare for a modern pressing, especially at the price (£12.99 from Amazon)

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
I heard, back then, that a Steely Dan was a Street term for a ladies toy. Prolly a load of tosh, but you never know.

Nearly right. Edgar Burroughs. ' Naked Lunch'. Reference to a steam powered adult toy. I claim my 3p not offered prize.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
floyd droid:

I heard, back then, that a Steely Dan was a Street term for a ladies toy. Prolly a load of tosh, but you never know.

Nearly right. Edgar Burroughs. ' Naked Lunch'. Reference to a steam powered adult toy. I claim my 3p not offered prize.

I read it in a Rebus book on holiday. If I ever get to Iceland I'll give you your 3p prize money.
The thing is I only ever go south.
3p you would be quite rich in Iceland these days, their economy is about the same as Ireland's, Kaput.

simon3102000

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Picked myself up a few records yesterday down helter skelter in Chichester,

Fleetwood Mac-Tango in the night... sounds awsome! Stevie nicks voice is amazing, love it!

Tears for Fears - 1982-1992... side one is epic with all the hits and an amazing voice but for the 2nd side the songs are really weak and he sings in a different vocal style which is rubbish, still worth it for side 1! Good sound qaulity aswell.

Elkie Brooks - Pearls... Got this because someone gave me pearls 2 which i really like because of her voice and song choices.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
My system just murdered Marillion Market Square Heroes and Three Boats Down From The Candy which are the B Side of Grendel on 12". What an awful recording.
emotion-6.gif
Not now looking forward to playing Grendel.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
simon3102000:

Fleetwood Mac-Tango in the night... sounds awsome! Stevie nicks voice is amazing, love it!

Just put this on - yet again. Such a superb recording - never fails to impress! Lush!
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts