What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 56 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

images

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
A nice surprise today! I work as a courier and I was collecting from a new customer who dealt in vinyl and had sold a load of LP's to some one in Europe. We got chatting like you do and it turned out he had loads of old 70's vinyl. I mentioned that my copy of Pink Floyd's "Meddle" had a bad scratch on side 2, and lo and behold he produced three copies of this album and said take your pick! A quick glance at the first copy he showed me looked fine (much better than my 40 yr old copy) so I chose that one, and he let me have it for nothing. Result!!! Just playing it now after a quick clean and it's sounding nigh on perfect...

41Y1XQ2JBBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
DIB said:
A nice surprise today! I work as a courier and I was collecting from a new customer who dealt in vinyl and had sold a load of LP's to some one in Europe. We got chatting like you do and it turned out he had loads of old 70's vinyl. I mentioned that my copy of Pink Floyd's "Meddle" had a bad scratch on side 2, and lo and behold he produced three copies of this album and said take your pick! A quick glance at the first copy he showed me looked fine (much better than my 40 yr old copy) so I chose that one, and he let me have it for nothing. Result!!! Just playing it now after a quick clean and it's sounding nigh on perfect...

41Y1XQ2JBBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Any chance of couriering the next best one down to South Shropshire ? There's a cup of tea and a slice of cake in it for you !

Nick

evo6tme

Apr 17, 2008
Visit site
just got a copy of blondie : blondie on the private stock label. Pretty rare becouse the signed for crysalis shortly after the album came out And i must say the privat stock vinyl is superiour to crysalis ...

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
41Ezy0gwRoL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Ah yes I remember now why I haven't played this for ages!

It's the Scary Monsters sleeve, the labels on the LP are the usual yellow RCA Victor one's, printed with David Bowie etc.etc.

However the music coming out of the speakers is definitely not David Bowie. Using the power of Shazam on my mobile phone, it tells me that it is in fact the album "Point of No Return" by Kansas.

Mt brother-in-law gave me this over 20 years ago if I recall, one of a job lot of LP's he got from an auction.

Come to think of it I've got a copy of the first "Best of ZZ Top" LP (pre "Give Me All Your Loving era) and side two of that is some very bland soul singer, and I haven't got a clue his name. I'm going to Shazam that later.

PS: actually this Kansas LP is quite good, I'm going to leave it on.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
DIB said:

It's the Scary Monsters sleeve, the labels on the LP are the usual yellow RCA Victor one's, printed with David Bowie etc.etc.

However the music coming out of the speakers is definitely not David Bowie. Using the power of Shazam on my mobile phone, it tells me that it is in fact the album "Point of No Return" by Kansas.

Mt brother-in-law gave me this over 20 years ago if I recall, one of a job lot of LP's he got from an auction.

Come to think of it I've got a copy of the first "Best of ZZ Top" LP (pre "Give Me All Your Loving era) and side two of that is some very bland soul singer, and I haven't got a clue his name. I'm going to Shazam that later.

I'm on Side 2 now of "Scary Monsters" and it is David Bowie! Kansas Side 1 vs David Bowie 2

Maybe the guy in charge of the pressing plant had been drinking.

I wonder if it's worth anything?

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Just re introduced my Linn Axis/Akito combination back into the fore after a lot of CD & ipod listening.

Been listening to Judas Priest "Screaming for Vengance" & Iron Maiden "Killers"

Best 1980's Metal there is....obviously IMHO :)

Oh...vinyl kicks A*$ over digital formats. First time I've heard my relatively new Kef Q300's with analogue source and the depth and feeling of Bass is superb.

A

Anonymous

DIB said:
DIB said:

I'm on Side 2 now of "Scary Monsters" and it is David Bowie! Kansas Side 1 vs David Bowie 2

Dont Know about that, but you have to hear side two of Point of no return! Big Kansas fan here.

BTW When UFO's Phenomenon lp came out my copy had Steeleye Span on side two. I took it back of course!

Priest Rock too!

A

Anonymous

i DJ so am always listening to vinyl, these two are the latest to join my ever growing collection

R-253837-1258990667.jpg

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Romeo Ezzi said:
DIB said:
DIB said:

Dont Know about that, but you have to hear side two of Point of no return! Big Kansas fan here.

BTW When UFO's Phenomenon lp came out my copy had Steeleye Span on side two. I took it back of course!

Priest Rock too!

You know I think I must listen to side 2, I much preferred Side 1 (Kansas) to Side 2 (David Bowie).

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
DIB said:

Side 2 of my The Best of ZZ Top is actually ZZ Top. Side 1 is Lamont Dozier's album "Peddlin' Music On The Side", and calling it bland is an understatement. Dire.

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Romeo Ezzi said:
DIB said:
DIB said:

Priest Rock too!

Yeah another big Kansas Fan...Leftoverture...one of my favourites. Thinking of buying "Point of Know Return" on 180g vinyl soon :)

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
mitch65 said:
DIB said:
I adore this album..

61A-JFpfAHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Ooh yeah gotta play that later :)

I was very tempted to buy this today but in the end left it in the rack. They had also got Moving Pictures? I may have the wrong second word there it may be Waves, but I left that as well. I''m not sure what Focus to get as i have never heard much.

I did buy a Steppenwolf 12in 45 the only 45 I have so it made a change to move the belt on the TT over. Born To Be Wild with The Pusher and Magic Carpet Ride on Side 2. Bought it for The Pusher really.

Well I smoked a lot of dope and I popped a lot of pills but never did nothing that my spirit could kill.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Lost Angeles said:
mitch65 said:
DIB said:
I adore this album..

I was very tempted to buy this today but in the end left it in the rack. They had also got Moving Pictures? I may have the wrong second word there it may be Waves, but I left that as well. I''m not sure what Focus to get as i have never heard much.

I did buy a Steppenwolf 12in 45 the only 45 I have so it made a change to move the belt on the TT over. Born To Be Wild with The Pusher and Magic Carpet Ride on Side 2. Bought it for The Pusher really.

Well I smoked a lot of dope and I popped a lot of pills but never did nothing that my spirit could kill.

Moving Waves it is LA. It's very good, opening track being their most famous song Hocus Pocus.

I've got all there output and Hamburger Concerto is by far my favourite, one of those rare albums where not one of of the 40 odd minutes is wasted. IMHO of course
smiley-smile.gif
. My wife hates it ( well, she actually hates 99% of all my music).

I'd suggest Moving Waves first, and if you enjoy the 22:35 sec piece Eruption on side 2 then you'll love Hamburger Concerto.

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
DIB said:
Lost Angeles said:
mitch65 said:
DIB said:
I adore this album..

Moving Waves it is LA. It's very good, opening track being their most famous song Hocus Pocus.

I've got all there output and Hamburger Concerto is by far my favourite, one of those rare albums where not one of of the 40 odd minutes is wasted. IMHO of course
smiley-smile.gif
. My wife hates it ( well, she actually hates 99% of all my music).

I'd suggest Moving Waves first, and if you enjoy the 22:35 sec piece Eruption on side 2 then you'll love Hamburger Concerto.

Agree...Hocus Pocus by Focus...Brilliant and absolutely mental for an instrumental!! Whislting on a Prop Rock track? but it's not your typical Roger whittaker :) :)

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Had a long day today, worked really hard on various things and have the place to myself all night, so it's TV off and vinyl all the way. A bit of a mixed bag as always...

61i9H6MVXrL._SS500_.jpg

51TbfqXt7XL._SS500_.jpg

51ENRhZ1VFL._SS500_.jpg

51ox8NtADWL._SL500_.jpg

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
DIB said:
Had a long day today, worked really hard on various things and have the place to myself all night, so it's TV off and vinyl all the way. A bit of a mixed bag as always...

61i9H6MVXrL._SS500_.jpg

51TbfqXt7XL._SS500_.jpg

51ENRhZ1VFL._SS500_.jpg

51ox8NtADWL._SL500_.jpg

Lucky So and So...I've got the whole family in tonight and they're watching Glastonbury and NOT through my AV set up Grrrrr!!! Ah well, I suppose Coldplay will be good, though not a massive fan :(

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Thanks DIB I'll look out for Moving Waves.
I also bought and have played today the following

51Ui0X0gxqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
41ZV9336W8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I've always been a big Wishbone Ash fan so i've added New England to the collection.
My original Deep Purple In Rock copy has never been any good so it was about time I bought a decent copy.
Deep Purple In Rock, Child In Time and the guitar solo,one of the best albums, tracks and guitar solo from the 70s.

Wait For The Ricochet.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Lost Angeles said:
Thanks DIB I'll look out for Moving Waves.
I also bought and have played today the following

51Ui0X0gxqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
41ZV9336W8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I've always been a big Wishbone Ash fan so i've added New England to the collection.
My original Deep Purple In Rock copy has never been any good so it was about time I bought a decent copy.
Deep Purple In Rock, Child In Time and the guitar solo,one of the best albums, tracks and guitar solo from the 70s.

Wait For The Ricochet.

Can't argue with you there. I was only playing that track in my van yesterday. I was getting funny looks at some traffic lights.

Still air guitaring at my age
smiley-embarassed.gif

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
51LnortWohL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I also bought this yesterday. Had it in MP3 for years but could never decide whether to get on vinyl.
First impressions were that side 1 sounds thin, side 2 much warmer. Only cost me 4 quid.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I bought this many years ago for the princely sum of 50p from the long gone 2nd hand record and book stall on High St, Manchester...

61TaEhUhEzL._SS500_.jpg

"Blowin' Free", now there's a great air guitar track
smiley-embarassed.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts