What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 33 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
chrisdeburgh.jpg

Chris De Burgh - `Crusader` I shall always have a soft spot for Chris De Burgh`s early albums. Fantastic songwriter/story teller.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
DIB said:
I've given all todays record fair's purchases a good cleaning with the Knosti ( using for the first time my own solution... roughly 1 part isopropynol, 4 parts distilled water, and a few drops of rinse aid ) and if I do say so myself my solution leaves no marks or residue unlike the stuff supplied with the kit.
smiley-smile.gif

Anyways, bought another J.J.Cale LP and it's a cracker, both quality wise and the sound. It's a gorgeous record, beatifully recorded and it is really showing off the fantastic soundstage that my Systemdek/PM8003/EB1 system is capable of.

A real find, and from the 6 for a tenner crate too!

515-NjRyjvL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This LP gets better and better after a couple more listens. Outstanding stuff.

I'm definitely on the look out for more J J Cale.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
DIB said:
Last one for the evening, another £2 special, again in excellent condition. I must be pretty lucky, I bought 8 LP's yesterday for the grand total of £19, and everyone has been in belting nick.

51qHlOBGE9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I hope you like this, I've plugged it enough. Best live album from the 70s IMO. Love the talk box on "Do You Feel Like We Do".

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Lost Angeles said:
DIB said:
Last one for the evening, another £2 special, again in excellent condition. I must be pretty lucky, I bought 8 LP's yesterday for the grand total of £19, and everyone has been in belting nick.

51qHlOBGE9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I hope you like this, I've plugged it enough. Best live album from the 70s IMO. Love the talk box on "Do You Feel Like We Do".

I know, I think your subliminal messages made me buy it! And yes, I've enjoyed it, only played it the once so far. The 4th side tickled my ears the most up to now. I remember this when it first came out, it was a massive LP at the time, but never got round to buying it. Lack of money probably.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
another listen to robin trower - bridge of sighs class

stereophonics- you gotta go there to come back ( in the top 5 lps ive ever heard)

brothers johnson - look out for no1( never knew he was the bass player jako in thiller lp)

beady eye is on now.

this weekend im on the look out for a jam lp i reckon they could sound good.

what are the best jam albums to look out for

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
that frampton live ive penciled it in for the weekend for a spotify listen so i report back after ive gave it a fair crack, cause robin trower is getting better every listen. that atomic rooster band from the other day is a hard listen. i may give it another go though.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
DIB said:
smuggs said:
that atomic rooster band from the other day is a hard listen. i may give it another go though.

Not for the faint hearted certainly. We'll get you onto the Edgar Broughton band next
smiley-wink.gif

How about tying him to a chair and make him listen to 20 minutes of " Out Demon Out" that's on the Glastonbury Fayre triple album ? Or is that too cruel ?

nick

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
shropshire lad said:
DIB said:
smuggs said:
that atomic rooster band from the other day is a hard listen. i may give it another go though.

Not for the faint hearted certainly. We'll get you onto the Edgar Broughton band next
smiley-wink.gif

How about tying him to a chair and make him listen to 20 minutes of " Out Demon Out" that's on the Glastonbury Fayre triple album ? Or is that too cruel ? nick

I've not heard that version, but 20 minutes of it sounds positively sick!

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Then while we've got his attention subject him to " Uncle Harry's Last Freak-out" by the Pink Fairies from the same album . By the time he's got through that he'll even think Michael Jackson was good !

Nick

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
DIB said:
shropshire lad said:
DIB said:
smuggs said:

smiley-wink.gif

How about tying him to a chair and make him listen to 20 minutes of " Out Demon Out" that's on the Glastonbury Fayre triple album ? Or is that too cruel ? nick

I've not heard that version, but 20 minutes of it sounds positively sick!

Actually it's not so bad as there is lots of audience participation

Nick

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
shropshire lad said:
DIB said:
smuggs said:

smiley-wink.gif

I did say the Atomic Rooster “may be an acquired taste”, the Frampton Live is a lot easier to listen to.
Other bands of that era that may be an acquired taste are Argent, Van Der Graf Generator, early Pink Floyd, Jefferson Airplane, Sensational Alex Harvey Band, Edgar Broughton and Soft Machine to name a few.
DIB and Nick you could be guilty of leading people astray.
smiley-wink.gif
smiley-smile.gif

I have played the following perhaps also an acquired taste

514sDs-Q2kL._SS500_.jpg

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
I would say all music is acquired taste , it is just that somes is easier to acquire than others . I've been listening to Lisa Gerrard and Klaus Schulze on U Tube for the last couple of hours and that is definitely acquired taste , but I like it and perfectly understand why many others don't . Listened to Wire The Ideal Copy this evening . Nick

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
just rang a local shop and he had a near mint copy of peter green- white sky for £6 so i put it aside and pick it up saturday lunch.

ive heard of in the skys but never this one so gone in blind.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
51ZTNpogCWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Manchester Apollo 1978, in my top 5 gigs ever. Encore longer than the actual set, they played about 25 songs in the whole show which lasted for about an hour or so! We were exhausted at the end of it though.
smiley-smile.gif

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Grrrrr STILL cant paste artwork into here at the moment!!!

Another 6 new purchases today from the local second hand record shop.....grand total of £10 spent :)

Carly Simon - Boys in The Trees

Gerry Rafferty - Night Owl

The Beautifull South - Choke

Chris De Burgh - Crusader (really only bought because I love the song Crusader on Side 2

Heart - Bad Animals

Emmylou Harris - Elite Hotel (bit of a punt on my behalf this one, never heard of her before, and upon listening its way to Country for me) :-( Looks like thats one for Ebay.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
41M-N%2BMjcBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Tool - Lateralus

Listened to this for the first time on the Gyro and it's so good! There's so much more low end grunt and slam than there was on my old TT. Love it!!! It got me in the mood for more rock, so:

51szh9-uMyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

SoundGarden - BadMotorFinger

61XRtZ08c6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Paramore - Riot!

61dlqnN0tfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Alice in Chains - Self-Titled

412MGN3EVRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies / Sap

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Jason36 said:
Grrrrr STILL cant paste artwork into here at the moment!!! Another 6 new purchases today from the local second hand record shop.....grand total of £10 spent :) Carly Simon - Boys in The Trees Gerry Rafferty - Night Owl The Beautifull South - Choke Chris De Burgh - Crusader (really only bought because I love the song Crusader on Side 2 Heart - Bad Animals Emmylou Harris - Elite Hotel (bit of a punt on my behalf this one, never heard of her before, and upon listening its way to Country for me) :-( Looks like thats one for Ebay.

Jason36 you are picking up some real bargains. All for a tenner? Excellent value. Especially love `Bad Animals` where I feel Ann Wilson hit her vocal peak and it`s good to see another mention for Chris De Burgh. Nice to have a second hand record shop nearby.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts