What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 329 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Yep, the early stuff is the best as it often is with most bands, if not all. 'Up' and 'New Adventures In Hi-Fi' are the later ones that I like although I thought 'Collapse Into Now' was pretty good. They just went on too long; I reckon all bands capable of greatness should take a couple of years sabbatical every now and then...same goes for teachers too.

I'm checking the artists on your playlist. Good to see The Durutti Column get a mention...once again, I think their earlier stuff was the best, especially, 'The Return Of The Durutti Column', 'LC' and a few singles they/he released.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim_W said:
Yep, the early stuff is the best as it often is with most bands, if not all. 'Up' and 'New Adventures In Hi-Fi' are the later ones that I like although I thought 'Collapse Into Now' was pretty good. They just went on too long; I reckon all bands capable of greatness should take a couple of years sabbatical every now and then...same goes for teachers too.

I'm checking the artists on your playlist. Good to see The Durutti Column get a mention...once again, I think their earlier stuff was the best, especially, 'The Return Of The Durutti Column', 'LC' and a few singles they/he released.

Hi Jim,

I never gave Collapse Into Now or Accerelate a proper listen really. New Adventures does have great moments, I agree.

Enforced sabbaticals for good bands and dismissal for the rest. Kasabian, Primal Scream, The Stone Roses in particular.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Charlie!!!

Are you not a Primal Scream fan?!!!!!! The Stone Roses I can take or leave and I know nothing about Kasabian, but I like some Primal Scream stuff. I mean, Bobby, you know, he's like Mr Rock 'n' Roll! *biggrin*

Marvindodgers

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Flowered Up - A Life a With Brian

The Style Council - The Singular Adventures Of...

Kate Bush - The Kick Inside

OMD - Architecture & Morality

The Mission - Gods Own Medicine

Wham! - The Final

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Marvindodgers said:
Flowered Up - A Life a With Brian

I hope to find that one day on my many excursions to car boot sales and charity shops.

I knew Liam the singer was dead, but I found out yesterday his brother Joe (the guitarist) also died a few years ago. Both heroin overdoses, I think.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Heard mention of this a few times recently, so thought I'd stick it on.

Grace Jones - Nightclubbing

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Never thought I'd ever say this, but I'm quite enjoying.

Jean-Michel Jarre - Equinoxe

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Never thought I'd ever say this, but I'm quite enjoying.

Jean-Michel Jarre - Equinoxe

There's hope for you yet *biggrin*

Now... Barclay James Harvest - 'Time Honoured Ghosts'

Now... David Bowie - 'Space Oddity'

Now... Alice Cooper - 'Killer'

Now... Chicago - 'Chicago Transit Authority'

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim_W said:
Charlie!!!

Are you not a Primal Scream fan?!!!!!! The Stone Roses I can take or leave and I know nothing about Kasabian, but I like some Primal Scream stuff. I mean, Bobby, you know, he's like Mr Rock 'n' Roll! *biggrin*

You are so right Jim. He's got it all - the hair, the pose, the drugs, the girls, the strut, the slur and oh, hang on where did it all go so right???

Seriosusly, I can't stand the guy or his band or voice or words or anything at all about them really. I used to frequent a bar where the guy who ran it played incessant Scream songs, most offensively, Rocks Off. Bad vibes, man.

He's the antithesis of Michael Stipe in aesthetic and artfulness. Other than that I'm his biggest fan!

I've got a nice first copy of Screamedelica, which has been played once. I like to look at it occasionally in the same way you might regard a cultural and sociological artefact of a thankfully forgotten time.

And now I think about it I've also got the one with Kowalski on it and the "dub" version too. And that one where Bobby G looks like he's still in the JAMC. Spotty shirted, paisley thing. Quite good that one.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
Freddy58 said:

Out of interest Bernie, have you tried this? Check out 'Beginnings'

I haven't. I think I've said before that I like the track '25 or 6 to 4', so if it's on those lines, I might like it.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:
Freddy58 said:

Out of interest Bernie, have you tried this? Check out 'Beginnings'

I haven't. I think I've said before that I like the track '25 or 6 to 4', so if it's on those lines, I might like it.

No no, it's much better than that! Fabulous brass and deserves to be played LOUD!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
No no, it's much better than that! Fabulous brass and deserves to be played LOUD!

I listened loudly through some earphones on you tube, but had to switch it off 3 minutes in. Sorry Freddy, but if I'd listened to any more, I may well have slipped into a coma, then who knows if I'd ever have awoken. *biggrin*

I much prefer '25 or 6 to 4'.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Jim_W said:
Charlie!!!

You are so right Jim. He's got it all - the hair, the pose, the drugs, the girls, the strut, the slur and oh, hang on where did it all go so right???

Seriosusly, I can't stand the guy or his band or voice or words or anything at all about them really. I used to frequent a bar where the guy who ran it played incessant Scream songs, most offensively, Rocks Off. Bad vibes, man.

He's the antithesis of Michael Stipe in aesthetic and artfulness. Other than that I'm his biggest fan!

I've got a nice first copy of Screamedelica, which has been played once. I like to look at it occasionally in the same way you might regard a cultural and sociological artefact of a thankfully forgotten time.

And now I think about it I've also got the one with Kowalski on it and the "dub" version too. And that one where Bobby G looks like he's still in the JAMC. Spotty shirted, paisley thing. Quite good that one.

Nice one, Charlie. The battle between those extremes still rages in me, I'm afraid. The kind of Narziss and Goldmund thing a la Hermann Hesse. Less so these days because of age; I'd rather have a cup of tea and listen to a record than cut a swathe through a world of sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll. Chance would be a fine thing!

The decent one you mention is 'Sonic Flower Groove' which is all chiming guitars and Byrdsian arpeggios...i like that one too. Can't play 'Screamadelica' any more: it sounds very much/too much of its time. The first album's not bad. I think my favourite is them with Kate Moss doing 'Some Velvet Morning' ...nice video on youtube: I've always liked that ethereal Lee Hazlewood song.

If we don't chat before the main event, have a good Christmas. All the best.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:

I listened loudly through some earphones on you tube, but had to switch it off 3 minutes in. Sorry Freddy, but if I'd listened to any more, I may well have slipped into a coma, then who knows if I'd ever have awoken. *biggrin*

I much prefer '25 or 6 to 4'.

No no! It hadn't got going by then! *dash1*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
No no! It hadn't got going by then! *dash1*

I did listen to a few bits later in the track, and though a bit livelier, it was no more enjoyable. Definitely not my cup of tea.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Jim,

Yes, Sonic Flower Groove that's it. It's residing in the loft, I think, but a decent spin on those styles you mention.

Me too on the cup of tea/chance would be a fine thing spectrum of debauchery!!

Have a good Christmas too, and to BBB, TSP, Freddy, LA et al.

Peace & believe as Nathan Barley (a semi-forgotten Brooker-Morris creation for those not familiar) once had it. Although his greeting also included an synonym to fornication inbetween those two which made it funnier.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Both of these were freshly unwrapped from their cellophane this week.

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds: Where The City Meets The Sky - Chasing Yesterday The Remixes, (2 X LP) on limited edition blue & pink vinyl. It included the album on CD too. These remixes are actually better produced than the proper album!

Fleetwood Mac: Greatest Hits, (The green cover.)

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Have a good Christmas too, and to BBB, TSP, Freddy, LA et al.

Most kind Charlie, and back at you
thumbs_up.gif
Indeed, wishing all here a great Christmas. I for one will be getting 'bladdered' at some stage *drinks* So, apologies in advance if I come on here spouting some rubbish. Oh...

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Hoping that everybody has a few new records to play during the holidays; if not, you can always stream The Beatles!

In case you were wondering, I'll be playing the red vinyl 'Ciao!' Best Of Lush.'

Best wishes to everybody ewho posts on here and have yourselves a merry little Christmas.

Cheers...hic.

TRENDING THREADS