What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 328 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
A few today around having to go to the in-laws for Sunday lunch which ended up with our 18month old son picking up a Santa snow scene and throwing it as hard as he could onto the coffee table, it smashed and left water and glass everywhere at which point we left!

Portishead - Third

Prince - Purple Rain

Wu-Tang Clan - The W

Soul II Soul - Club Clasics Vol 1

Talking Heads - The Name of this Band is Talking Heads (great live record showing their progression from spiky new wave to African funk)

The Antlers - Familiars

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Yesterday and today's playlist.

Fun Boy Three - Waiting

Louis Armstrong - Greatest Hits

Sly & The Family Stone - M'Lady

Au Pairs - Playing With A Different Sex

PJ Harvey - Dry

Discharge - Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing

Nara Leao - Nara

Jazz Hip Trio - Jazz In Relief (Still highly recommended to all, but especially Jim and Charlie)

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the listening suggestions. I'm vaguely familiar with the Blossom Toes via a Mojo or other magazine compilation but I've never gone beyond that, yet. The Lee Morgan album is cued up to play right now, digitally.

I'm keen to hear Avocet and will be tracking that down as soon as funds allow.

Update: just played the Lee Morgan album for the first time. Even on first listen I can hear so much wonderful music. By turns, contemplative, beguiling and joyful. It's leapt from must hear to must have in a flash.

I notice it's a 1964 recording, so are we safe with primitive stereo or does a superior mono mix exist?

Hi Charlie

Sorry for the delay in replying; I had to go to my mums following a bit of a drama.

Glad you liked 'Search For The New Land' which is one of my favourite Blue Notes. Yep, there is a mono which, I would imagine, will be superior, but I have yet to find one. I only have a stereo with the usual RVG stereo Blue Note mix, ie drums to the right, piano/bass centered etc. I'm used to it and I think that the recording quality is pretty good, except for the piano which is Rudy Van Gelder's blind spot. I'd love to get hold of a mono, but Lee Morgan originals go for lots of money; a battered copy at a reasonable price would do just fine. I think we need a lottery win, Charlie.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
There was a time in the late 1990s when this double album was only available new from Polydor as two separate full-price CDs. The money-grabbing bast***s. Been sold as one double album for a while though now, as it should be.

IMG_2850_zpsmwa56teb.jpg

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Dave Lee - Jazz Improvisations Of Our Man Crichton

I had to look this one up...I thought it might be interesting. any record featuring Tubby and Kenny Wheeler can't be bad. I think Tubby was technically a much better player than many of the celebrated American jazzmen, but he had soul too. Describe the sounds on this lp, BBB!

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Gato Barbieri: 'Tropico' If I were a jazz critic, I'd hate this; thank God I'm not. Latin, funk, pop and disco with Gato cutting harshly and soulfully through the sleaze. Try, 'She Is Michelle', Gato's tribute to his wife and understand then that Gato is God. Wish he was my husband.

Gary Burton: 'Norwegian Wood.' RCA label compilation of his wonderful early stuff. Gary is God.

Oregon with Elvin Jones: 'Together.' Elvin is brilliant and clearly fires the chaps up a bit. More out there than most Oregon stuff. Elvin used to play with God.

Duane Allman: 'An Anthology.' An argument for the 'Duane is God' school of thought.

Sonny Stitt: 'Sonny Stitt Plays.' Vogue label. Yeah and he plays just like God...that's Charlie Parker, of course. Point is, Sonny was a brillliant musician in his own right. Unbelievable fire and dexterity.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim_W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Dave Lee - Jazz Improvisations Of Our Man Crichton

I had to look this one up...I thought it might be interesting. any record featuring Tubby and Kenny Wheeler can't be bad. I think Tubby was technically a much better player than many of the celebrated American jazzmen, but he had soul too. Describe the sounds on this lp, BBB!

I don't think I'm the best person to describe anything, but more especially, Jazz, but I'll have a go.

It's quite big band at times, plenty of swing, lots of sax-led tunes, quite a bit of piano-led stuff in the mix. There's elements of 60s/70s tv soundtracks in there too. Tight as a drumskin (as you'd expect), but there's definitely a soul to it.

I like it, though it's probably more my Dad's kind of thing. If you remember, I picked it up for absolute peanuts with some other rare Jazz a couple of months ago http://www.whathifi.com/forum/turntables-and-lps/anybody-been-record-shopping-today?page=86

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

AC/DC - If You Want Blood, You've Got It

Syd Barrett - The Madcap Laughs

Scott Walker - Best Of

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim_W said:
Great description but less of the, 'my dad's kind of thing' nonsense!!!

*biggrin*

If only you knew my dad, then you'd realise how accurate I was being. If he ever bothers to drive the 25 miles to come and visit us, I'll stick this on for him, as there's no way I'd risk playing it on his Teac all-in-one thing.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
New Order - Technique

Midnight Oil - Blue Sky Mining

Massive Attack - Heligoland

Kraftwerk - Computer World

John Carpenter - Escape from New York OST

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
...REM:

'Murmur.'

'Reckoning.'

'We Are Having A Heavenly Time.' boot

'Mumble.' boot

'Can't Get There From Here.' boot

When they were interesting and strange and Michael mumbled. Beautiful stuff.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim_W said:
...REM:

'Murmur.'

'Reckoning.'

'Mumble.' boot

The mumble period, with the exception of Up, is their/his greatest music, isn't it.

Playing:

Black Metal - Dean Blunt

Sextet - A Certain Ratio

The Guitar & Other Machines - Durutti Column

There's three decades between the first title and the other two but to my ears Dean Blunt has absorbed elements of both these fine acts and taken it in a quite brilliant rap-scuzz, glitchy direction. Much misanthropic sexism ensues but its compelling nonetheless.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Jim_W said:
...REM:

'Murmur.'

'Reckoning.'

'Mumble.' boot

The mumble period, with the exception of Up, is their/his greatest music, isn't it.

Playing:

Black Metal - Dean Blunt

Sextet - A Certain Ratio

The Guitar & Other Machines - Durutti Column

There's three decades between the first title and the other two but to my ears Dean Blunt has absorbed elements of both these fine acts and taken it in a quite brilliant rap-scuzz, glitchy direction. Much misanthropic sexism ensues but its compelling nonetheless.

Like a low-rent Maxinquaye.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts