What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 331 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

thescarletpronster said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
The men managed to stay up until 4am, the ladies didn't.

Did the ladies withdraw when the cloth was drawn and the port and cigars passed around, and the talk turned to serious matters of the day?

*biggrin*

No, they were just lightweights.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Motorhead - No Remorse

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin I

Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue

Miles Davis - Sketches Of Spain

AC Temple - Sourpuss

Breeders - Pod

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
I've probably said this before but I wish Neil had produced more of this kind of stuff, especially the symphonic and pure pop songs. All the Springfield albums are bursting with creativity and loveliness. Love 'Buffalo Springfield Again' and the debut solo album: two of my favourite records.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim_W said:
I've probably said this before but I wish Neil had produced more of this kind of stuff, especially the symphonic and pure pop songs. All the Springfield albums are bursting with creativity and loveliness. Love 'Buffalo Springfield Again' and the debut solo album: two of my favourite records.

Jim,

I couldn't agree more.

Let's just take Expecting To Fly and Broken Arrow as two songs that exemplify exactly what you're saying. They are simply sublime/divine and, as you say, other than the traces and smears on his solo debut they are totally absent from the rest of his still often magnificent career.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Creedence Clearwater Revival: 'Green River'.

Tomorrow: 'Tomorrow'.

Duane Allman: 'Anthology'.

Hank Mobley: 'Soul Station'.

Hank Mobley: 'Hi-voltage'.

Nirvana: 'All Of Us'.

Lush: 'Ciao! The Best Of'.

The Byrds: 'The Notorious Byrd Brothers'.

Wes Montgomery: 'The Incredible Jazz Guitar Of Wes Montgomery'.

Buddy Miles: 'Them Changes'.

Stanley Clarke: 'Journey To Love'.

John Coltrane: 'Coltrane.' (Impulse!) + (HMV mono) Both sound great.

Love: 'Love'.

Best wishes for the new year.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I'm going out soon, so I'd like to wish all the regular vinyl players a happy new year. *drinks*

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Happy New Year everyone
thumbs_up.gif

Looking forward to this years Hootenanny *smile*

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
knaithrover said:
Loving the best of Cutting Edge by Bob Dylan

Expensive especially when the double cd can be had for £9.99 but worth it? Hell yes.

Yay! Another Bob fan.

It's a great set isn't it?

Huge Bob fan yes although thankfully not the obsessive I used to be (I do actually listen to a lot of non Dylan stuff these days). Loving the 'best of' nice and condensed - actually plays like 3 alternate albums which I suppose it is.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
The Miles/Gil Evans stuff in mono:

'Porgy And Bess'. Columbia

'Miles Ahead'. Fontana

'Sketches Of Spain'. Columbia

They sound pretty good, despite the odd crackle and scratch. Miles is brilliant throughout as is Paul Chambers' bass . Hard to choose the best of the three: they're all inspired and lovely.

+

'Gil Evans: 'Out Of The Cool'. Impulse! This is a damn fine record; a sort of big band 'Kind Of Blue' comes to mind as it has some of the record's bluesy modal feel. Great tunes and solos. From 1960.

Hank Mobley: 'Soul Station'.

Hank Mobley: 'The Turnaround'.

Gary Burton Quartet with Eberhard Weber: 'Passengers'. Great ECM record with Pat Metheny.

Charles Mingus: 'Mingus Ah Um'. Mono with this one without question. Solid and meaty. Er.

Gary McFarland: 'Soft Samba aka 'Positive Vibrations'. The soundtrack for the cocktail party in your 1960's bachelor pad. It's actually incredibly beautiful in a meaningful candy-flossy way. Hmm. Gary was a talented one-off and that's for sure.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Some top quality there, Jim.

I'm currently listening to Kid Ory - Song Of The Wanderer, and I'm amazed at how good it sounds.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts