What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 319 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

jimbofisher

Well-known member
Aug 17, 2007
51
14
18,545
A nice relaxing day today and been able to have a nice long listening session

Public Image Ltd - What The World Needs Now

Echo And The Bunnymen - Heaven Up Here (sounding absolutely gorgeous today, bass and drums really standing out but not swamping he rest)

The House of Love - Fontana

Dean Martin - Dream With Dean (perfect accompaniment to a roast lunch)

Tame Impala - Currents

Bat For Lashes - Two Suns

Peter Gabriel - PG4 (as so much chat about it today, I like it, always have)

Sexwitch - Sexwitch (love this album and it gets better the more I listen)

Sigur Ros - Kveikur

Finally as I type this sipping a nice malt

Cowboy Junkies - The Nomad Series Volume 4, The Wilderness
 
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Guest
knaithrover said:
Rest of the back catalogue has many many ropey albums unfortunately
This is the reason I only some of his back catalogue. I think there's always one or two tracks on each album that are good, but as you say, a lot of it isn't.

I had a look at a clip of him live at MK Bowl this year, and he's definitely struggling these days, A client of someone I subcontract to is the lead singer of a well known band, and in the conversation I had with him about music, he told me that it's an open secret in the business that Iggy's about f****d. Sadly, I think he's right.

The man's a God in this house, possibly the greatest live performer ever, certainly one of the very best anyway.
 

Charlie Jefferson

Well-known member
Sep 2, 2007
229
0
18,790
Last night:

Hissing Fauna, are you the destroyer?

Lousy With Sylvanbriar - both of Montreal

Kevin Barnes for vice-president.

World Peace - Moz

This morning:

Monk Meets Mulligan

(a cheapo reissue that sounds pretty good)

Basement Tapes Raw - Bob Minnesota

Presence - Zep

Bootleg Series 1-3 (sides 5&6) - Jack Frost
 

MrTeroo

New member
Jul 14, 2015
8
0
0
Today's tunes in a house surrounded by fog all day long:

Various - Fish smell like cat

Peter Gabriel - 2 & 3 remasters

and since I was on 45 rpm:

Orange Juice - Simply Thrilled Honey / Breakfast Time / Blue Boy (7")

Back to 33:

Strauss - Also Sprach Zarathustra

Tchaikovsky - Romeo & Juliet

Tito Gobi - At La Scala

Simple Minds - Sparkle In The Rain

Pink Military - Do Animals Believe In God

Bob Marley - Legend

Dub Syndicate - Tunes From The Missing Channel
 

Jim_W

New member
Sep 25, 2015
0
0
0
Wayne Shorter: 'Speak No Evil.'

Wayne Shorter: 'Adam's Apple.'

Wayne Shorter: ' Juju.'

Buddy Miles: 'Them Changes.' Buddy could sing a bit too.

Chicken Shack: 'Accept.' Criminally underrated.

Frank Sinatra: 'No One Cares.' Beautiful record.

Frank Sinatra: 'Songs For Swingin' Lovers!' Groovy.

Stevie Wonder: 'Fulfillingness' First Finale.' The last Stevie Wonder record I bought.

Ornette Coleman: 'Change Of The Century.'

George Winston: 'Summer.' Languid bliss-out.

Hi Charlie...I'm a big fan of 'Mulligan Meets Monk.' It shouldn't really work but it does and brilliantly. I wonder how you get on with Cecil Taylor?! He certainly demands attention; I like 'Unit Structures' but it's the only one I've got. I must look out for some more.

Oh and keep the different Bob monikers coming...I love 'em!
 

knaithrover

Moderator
Nov 24, 2013
216
89
18,870
Charlie Jefferson said:
Last night:

Hissing Fauna, are you the destroyer?

Lousy With Sylvanbriar - both of Montreal

Kevin Barnes for vice-president.

World Peace - Moz

This morning:

Monk Meets Mulligan

(a cheapo reissue that sounds pretty good)

Basement Tapes Raw - Bob Minnesota

Presence - Zep

Bootleg Series 1-3 (sides 5&6) - Jack Frost
Lousy with Sylvianbriar.....brilliant and quite odd album the gorgeous artwork on the cover is worth a mention too
 

knaithrover

Moderator
Nov 24, 2013
216
89
18,870
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
knaithrover said:
Rest of the back catalogue has many many ropey albums unfortunately
This is the reason I only some of his back catalogue. I think there's always one or two tracks on each album that are good, but as you say, a lot of it isn't.

I had a look at a clip of him live at MK Bowl this year, and he's definitely struggling these days, A client of someone I subcontract to is the lead singer of a well known band, and in the conversation I had with him about music, he told me that it's an open secret in the business that Iggy's about f****d. Sadly, I think he's right.

The man's a God in this house, possibly the greatest live performer ever, certainly one of the very best anyway.
He's certainly had some good nights out...
 

Charlie Jefferson

Well-known member
Sep 2, 2007
229
0
18,790
Jim_W said:
Wayne Shorter: 'Speak No Evil.'

Wayne Shorter: 'Adam's Apple.'

Wayne Shorter: ' Juju.'

Buddy Miles: 'Them Changes.' Buddy could sing a bit too.

Chicken Shack: 'Accept.' Criminally underrated.

Frank Sinatra: 'No One Cares.' Beautiful record.

Frank Sinatra: 'Songs For Swingin' Lovers!' Groovy.

Stevie Wonder: 'Fulfillingness' First Finale.' The last Stevie Wonder record I bought.

Ornette Coleman: 'Change Of The Century.'

George Winston: 'Summer.' Languid bliss-out.

Hi Charlie...I'm a big fan of 'Mulligan Meets Monk.' It shouldn't really work but it does and brilliantly. I wonder how you get on with Cecil Taylor?! He certainly demands attention; I like 'Unit Structures' but it's the only one I've got. I must look out for some more.

Oh and keep the different Bob monikers coming...I love 'em!
Hi Jim,

Yes, I wasn't sure those two leads would work so well on Mulligan Meets Monk. Great LP.

Cecil Taylor's LP is an incredible piece of "thought music" - in all senses, as in it takes as much listening as it must have taken to create. Accordingly rewarding in its own way.

Another great swathe of listening you've listed there. Your Sinatra LPs remind me of when I dug out his "The Concert Sinatra" album a few nights ago. It was too much for me. The tumult and quiet disturbance hidden in his voice caught me off guard, especially on Weill's Lost In The Stars. I had to refrain.

Counting down the days to the floodgates of Bobby D's The Cutting Edge. . .
 

Charlie Jefferson

Well-known member
Sep 2, 2007
229
0
18,790
Yes, a special mention to all of Montreal sleeves. Mostly done by the main man's brother, I think. Great band, man, project, thing.

If I was younger and nerdier (well, that last one is ever being worked on!) I would create a devotional website to the fantastical warped beauty of Paralytic Stalks LP* alone. But I'd rather listen to it and do mini rants every now and again.

*the visionary architect meets the avant-pop deviant with a penchant for psycho-dynamic therapy, like no other. Bar a selective slew of influences he absorbs and transcends: Ray Davies, Penderecki, Bowie, Beatles, Brian, Prince. . .
 

Jim_W

New member
Sep 25, 2015
0
0
0
Charlie Jefferson said:
Jim_W said:
Wayne Shorter: 'Speak No Evil.'

Wayne Shorter: 'Adam's Apple.'

Wayne Shorter: ' Juju.'

Buddy Miles: 'Them Changes.' Buddy could sing a bit too.

Chicken Shack: 'Accept.' Criminally underrated.

Frank Sinatra: 'No One Cares.' Beautiful record.

Frank Sinatra: 'Songs For Swingin' Lovers!' Groovy.

Stevie Wonder: 'Fulfillingness' First Finale.' The last Stevie Wonder record I bought.

Ornette Coleman: 'Change Of The Century.'

George Winston: 'Summer.' Languid bliss-out.

Hi Charlie...I'm a big fan of 'Mulligan Meets Monk.' It shouldn't really work but it does and brilliantly. I wonder how you get on with Cecil Taylor?! He certainly demands attention; I like 'Unit Structures' but it's the only one I've got. I must look out for some more.

Oh and keep the different Bob monikers coming...I love 'em!
Hi Jim,

Yes, I wasn't sure those two leads would work so well on Mulligan Meets Monk. Great LP.

Cecil Taylor's LP is an incredible piece of "thought music" - in all senses, as in it takes as much listening as it must have taken to create. Accordingly rewarding in its own way.

Another great swathe of listening you've listed there. Your Sinatra LPs remind me of when I dug out his "The Concert Sinatra" album a few nights ago. It was too much for me. The tumult and quiet disturbance hidden in his voice caught me off guard, especially on Weill's Lost In The Stars. I had to refrain.

Counting down the days to the floodgates of Bobby D's The Cutting Edge. . .
'No One Cares' specialises in just such 'quiet disturbance' but the strings won't let him hide. That perfect enunciation which suggests self-control and the ability to express 'tumult' has always baffled me; it shouldn't work: emotional disturbance should feel blurry and unfocused. It always comes down to the beautiful timbre of his voice and that immaculate phrasing which reveals the inner struggles...a pause here, a slight cracking of the voice there. The strings on 'No One Cares' perhaps provide the commentary on the attempt to remain in control; they are the emotion let loose, as it were. It's a very fine record. Sorry if this sounds like 'pseud's corner'; I really need to get out more.
 

Charlie Jefferson

Well-known member
Sep 2, 2007
229
0
18,790
Jim_W said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Jim_W said:
Wayne Shorter: 'Speak No Evil.'

Wayne Shorter: 'Adam's Apple.'

Wayne Shorter: ' Juju.'

Buddy Miles: 'Them Changes.' Buddy could sing a bit too.

Chicken Shack: 'Accept.' Criminally underrated.

Frank Sinatra: 'No One Cares.' Beautiful record.

Frank Sinatra: 'Songs For Swingin' Lovers!' Groovy.

Stevie Wonder: 'Fulfillingness' First Finale.' The last Stevie Wonder record I bought.

Ornette Coleman: 'Change Of The Century.'

George Winston: 'Summer.' Languid bliss-out.

Hi Charlie...I'm a big fan of 'Mulligan Meets Monk.' It shouldn't really work but it does and brilliantly. I wonder how you get on with Cecil Taylor?! He certainly demands attention; I like 'Unit Structures' but it's the only one I've got. I must look out for some more.

Oh and keep the different Bob monikers coming...I love 'em!
Hi Jim,

Yes, I wasn't sure those two leads would work so well on Mulligan Meets Monk. Great LP.

Cecil Taylor's LP is an incredible piece of "thought music" - in all senses, as in it takes as much listening as it must have taken to create. Accordingly rewarding in its own way.

Another great swathe of listening you've listed there. Your Sinatra LPs remind me of when I dug out his "The Concert Sinatra" album a few nights ago. It was too much for me. The tumult and quiet disturbance hidden in his voice caught me off guard, especially on Weill's Lost In The Stars. I had to refrain.

Counting down the days to the floodgates of Bobby D's The Cutting Edge. . .
'No One Cares' specialises in just such 'quiet disturbance' but the strings won't let him hide. That perfect enunciation which suggests self-control and the ability to express 'tumult' has always baffled me; it shouldn't work: emotional disturbance should feel blurry and unfocused. It always comes down to the beautiful timbre of his voice and that immaculate phrasing which reveals the inner struggles...a pause here, a slight cracking of the voice there. The strings on 'No One Cares' perhaps provide the commentary on the attempt to remain in control; they are the emotion let loose, as it were. It's a very fine record. Sorry if this sounds like 'pseud's corner'; I really need to get out more.
Nish!! No Pseud's Corner, but an invitation to discover. Doing so now. Will report back if I'm capable.

Currently sat on the lower east side of my mind amongst the sea of fallen leaves outside a former psychiatric hospital awaiting my son and ex-wife to emerge from an appointment in Pinderfields Hospital. It's what happens in Wakefield when there's no work to go to and a divorce to commemorate. C'mon Frank, sing to me of what you know about these times.
 

Jim_W

New member
Sep 25, 2015
0
0
0
Charlie Jefferson said:
Jim_W said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Jim_W said:
Wayne Shorter: 'Speak No Evil.'

Wayne Shorter: 'Adam's Apple.'

Wayne Shorter: ' Juju.'

Buddy Miles: 'Them Changes.' Buddy could sing a bit too.

Chicken Shack: 'Accept.' Criminally underrated.

Frank Sinatra: 'No One Cares.' Beautiful record.

Frank Sinatra: 'Songs For Swingin' Lovers!' Groovy.

Stevie Wonder: 'Fulfillingness' First Finale.' The last Stevie Wonder record I bought.

Ornette Coleman: 'Change Of The Century.'

George Winston: 'Summer.' Languid bliss-out.

Hi Charlie...I'm a big fan of 'Mulligan Meets Monk.' It shouldn't really work but it does and brilliantly. I wonder how you get on with Cecil Taylor?! He certainly demands attention; I like 'Unit Structures' but it's the only one I've got. I must look out for some more.

Oh and keep the different Bob monikers coming...I love 'em!
Hi Jim,

Yes, I wasn't sure those two leads would work so well on Mulligan Meets Monk. Great LP.

Cecil Taylor's LP is an incredible piece of "thought music" - in all senses, as in it takes as much listening as it must have taken to create. Accordingly rewarding in its own way.

Another great swathe of listening you've listed there. Your Sinatra LPs remind me of when I dug out his "The Concert Sinatra" album a few nights ago. It was too much for me. The tumult and quiet disturbance hidden in his voice caught me off guard, especially on Weill's Lost In The Stars. I had to refrain.

Counting down the days to the floodgates of Bobby D's The Cutting Edge. . .
'No One Cares' specialises in just such 'quiet disturbance' but the strings won't let him hide. That perfect enunciation which suggests self-control and the ability to express 'tumult' has always baffled me; it shouldn't work: emotional disturbance should feel blurry and unfocused. It always comes down to the beautiful timbre of his voice and that immaculate phrasing which reveals the inner struggles...a pause here, a slight cracking of the voice there. The strings on 'No One Cares' perhaps provide the commentary on the attempt to remain in control; they are the emotion let loose, as it were. It's a very fine record. Sorry if this sounds like 'pseud's corner'; I really need to get out more.
Nish!! No Pseud's Corner, but an invitation to discover. Doing so now. Will report back if I'm capable.

Currently sat on the lower east side of my mind amongst the sea of fallen leaves outside a former psychiatric hospital awaiting my son and ex-wife to emerge from an appointment in Pinderfields Hospital. It's what happens in Wakefield when there's no work to go to and a divorce to commemorate. C'mon Frank, sing to me of what you know about these times.
Tread carefully, Charlie...Sinatra called them a bunch of 'suicide songs.' Try 'In The Wee Small Hours' or 'Where Do You Go?' too. Best wishes, Charlie.
 

Charlie Jefferson

Well-known member
Sep 2, 2007
229
0
18,790
Well, I sat and listened to the whole LP, and I'm still here, just, to report back.

An incredible journey to the inner dwellings of experience. An exquisite paean to loss and all conjured with such legerdemain.
 

Jim_W

New member
Sep 25, 2015
0
0
0
Charlie Jefferson said:
Well, I sat and listened to the whole LP, and I'm still here, just, to report back.

An incredible journey to the inner dwellings of experience. An exquisite paean to loss and all conjured with such legerdemain.
i'm glad you gave it the thumbs-up. I listened to it through today and I agree with your comments, Charlie. I'm just about to try and find 'In The Wee Small Hours' although I haven't got a clue where it is. I may be gone some time.
 

Charlie Jefferson

Well-known member
Sep 2, 2007
229
0
18,790
Jim_W said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Well, I sat and listened to the whole LP, and I'm still here, just, to report back.

An incredible journey to the inner dwellings of experience. An exquisite paean to loss and all conjured with such legerdemain.
i'm glad you gave it the thumbs-up. I listened to it through today and I agree with your comments, Charlie. I'm just about to try and find 'In The Wee Small Hours' although I haven't got a clue where it is. I may be gone some time.
Happy hunting Jim. I'm watching the United game and expecting more ponderous possession and plenty of CSKA counter attacks. Then its a diet of mono versions of you know who!

Robert Milkwood Thomas' Greatest Hits Vol 1-3
 
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Guest
If only Jim was as anally retentive as me, he'd find his album as quick as a flash. *smile*

I've just completed another reorganisation of the Lps, and I'm still not 100% happy with it. *nea*
 

Jim_W

New member
Sep 25, 2015
0
0
0
I'm listening to United on the radio, Charlie...it seems a bit better than recent weeks. I'd be happy with a last minute own-goal 1-0 win tbh. I keep switching to listen to local radio for Forest versus Preston: I think we're (Forest) going down this year!

'Milkwood' Ha!!!

BBB, I saw 'anally' and feared that the scoutmaster had been talking again, but it was just about record organisation. I feel that I must inform you that some, well quite a lot really, are organised. I have three all-encompassing categories: British, American and Jazz and they're in alphabetical order....well...you know...sort of. Then there's a load of boxes that need filing; they'll still be there this time next year...and the year after that! Anyway, it's too cold up there and too hot in summer.
 

Charlie Jefferson

Well-known member
Sep 2, 2007
229
0
18,790
Well Jim aka Nostradamus, 1-0 it was.

Missed the goal - talking to a friend on the phone for an hour - but at least we managed ONE goal this time out. We can't all be swashbuckling Kopp-directed footballing aesthetes.

Time for some music now. Mr. Zee will have to wait, I need to hear some more Of Montreal music.
 
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Guest
Been spinning some records since I got home.

Kid Creole - Tropical Gangsters (Not as entertaining as I'd hoped)

Little Feat - Sailin' Shoes (Most of side one)

Little Richard - Brown Sugar (From the album Rock n Roll Forever) *shok*

Chuck Berry - Spotlight On (Sides 3 & 4)

Currently playing:

Quincy Jones - The Slender Thread O.S.T (Mono) (This is really good, first time I've played it, and I'm loving it)
 

jimbofisher

Well-known member
Aug 17, 2007
51
14
18,545
As noted elsewhere a couple of purchases which I am now playing

Prince - Purple Rain (sounding very good, bass really slamming, quality production even if some of it has dated as 80s funk)

The Pogues - If I Should Fall (never heard this so good, great production, all instruments very clear, drums very punchy, lost none of its urgency)
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts