What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 318 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

matthewpiano

Well-known member
Nov 23, 2007
494
330
19,270
The new vinyl releases of the Queen albums. So far I've got Queen II, Jazz, The Game, and The Miracle. They are superb - the best those albums are ever sounded on any format. When I heard them at the National Audio Show I wasn't convinced, but they sound fab on my RP3.

Also, the most recent vinyl pressings of the Led Zeppelin albums - II, III, IV, and Physical Graffiti so far. Again, superbly done.
 
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Guest
I've been refiling some records, so forgot some of what I played pre and post-footie, but it included:

Syd Barrett - The Madcap Laughs

Au Pairs - Playing With A Different Sex
 

Charlie Jefferson

Well-known member
Sep 2, 2007
229
0
18,790
I think I've got that Au Pairs LP somewhere, but haven't heard it for yonks.

Tonight, celebrating Chelsea's defeat more than my team's meagre draw:

Wincing The Night Away - The Shins

Port Of Morrow - The Shins

Love & Theft - Bob of Hibbing, Minnesota
 

MrTeroo

New member
Jul 14, 2015
8
0
0
Peter Gabriel 2 & 3 half speed remasters. Mother Of Violence on PG 2 is a sublime song.

Pink Military - Do Animals Believe In God
 

MrTeroo

New member
Jul 14, 2015
8
0
0
Yes they are worth revisiting. PG2 & 3 I really like. PG 1 I don't care for much. PG 4 I have never given a proper chance to for some reason. Maybe I will soon.
 

Freddy58

Well-known member
Jan 24, 2014
25
1
10,545
MrTeroo said:
Yes they are worth revisiting. PG2 & 3 I really like. PG 1 I don't care for much. PG 4 I have never given a proper chance to for some reason. Maybe I will soon.
See, my favourite is probaly the first *biggrin*
 
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Guest
Charlie Jefferson said:
I think I've got that Au Pairs LP somewhere, but haven't heard it for yonks.
I'd never given it a fair play, and I quite enjoyed it. Kind of Gang Of Four-ish.

I used to have Live In Berlin too, but that's another album that has regrettably moved on to pastures new.
 
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Guest
MrTeroo said:
PG 4 I have never given a proper chance to for some reason. Maybe I will soon.
I'm playing it now.

By the way, I'd highly recommend 'The Last Temptation Of Christ' soundtrack album, side one blows me away.
 

thescarletpronster

New member
Nov 17, 2012
10
0
0
Roseau – Salt
Lianne La Havas – Blood
Joanna Newsom – Divers
The Necks – Mindset

then switched to 45rpm and played:
Björk – Medulla
Rip Rig + Panic – God
Rip Rig + Panic – Bob Hope Takes Risks
The Pop Group – She Is Beyond Good And Evil
Thee Hypnotics – Justice In Freedom
 

MrTeroo

New member
Jul 14, 2015
8
0
0
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I'm playing it now.

By the way, I'd highly recommend 'The Last Temptation Of Christ' soundtrack album, side one blows me away.
You'll have to turn it up, I can't hear it. :-(
 

MrTeroo

New member
Jul 14, 2015
8
0
0
Ok, I can't resist. PG1 / 4 / Temptation Of Christ it is this afternoon.

Unfortunately none of these on vinyl, Squeezebox to the rescue...
 

MrTeroo

New member
Jul 14, 2015
8
0
0
Done!

PG1 - very disappointing. I remember being disappointed by this when it first came out.

PG4 - very enjoyable. Might order the half speed remaster.

Passion - also very enjoyable. A friend of mine told me I should listen to Long Walk Home so I need to hunt that down too.

PG is one of my all time favourite artists. I wish I could like PG 1 but it isn't going to happen. Don't like the production. He seemed to be unsure what musical direction to take so he just tried random styles on this album. Excuse Me annoys me. Waiting For The Big One makes me cringe with embarrasment on his behalf.
 
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Guest
MrTeroo said:
I wish I could like PG 1 but it isn't going to happen. Don't like the production. He seemed to be unsure what musical direction to take so he just tried random styles on this album. Excuse Me annoys me. Waiting For The Big One makes me cringe with embarrasment on his behalf.
But Solsbury Hill is one of the greatest songs ever. I have the album, but I'm not sure if I've ever played it all the way through. I think I half remember playing it, and taking it off because it was a bit prog, but I'm really not sure.
 
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Guest
MrTeroo said:
Passion - also very enjoyable.
It sounds superb on vinyl, well worth digging out a copy if you can find one at a decent price. I've got Birdy too, but I haven't got around to playing it yet, so no idea what it's like.
 
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Guest
MrTeroo said:
PG4 - very enjoyable. Might order the half speed remaster.
Played it all the way through, liked some of it, but disliked some too. I won't be in a hurry to play it again, there's too much competition from all my other records. *smile*
 
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Guest
So today:

Peter Gabriel - PG4

Iggy Pop - The Idiot (I'd forgotten what a great, and really odd album this is)

Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy - Hypocrisy Is The Greatest Luxury
 

matthewpiano

Well-known member
Nov 23, 2007
494
330
19,270
This afternoon it has been:

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon (40th Anniversary)

Queen - A Day At The Races (New, half-speed master)

Linda Thompson - It Won't Be Long Now (excellent solo album from last year)

Peter Gabriel - 3/Melt.

Another extremely enjoyable all-vinyl listening session.
 

knaithrover

Moderator
Nov 24, 2013
216
89
18,870
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
So today:

Peter Gabriel - PG4

Iggy Pop - The Idiot (I'd forgotten what a great, and really odd album this is)

Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy - Hypocrisy Is The Greatest Luxury
Big +1 for 'The Idiot'....brilliant album

Today for me = Strictly Personal : Captain Beefheart
 
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Guest
knaithrover said:
Big +1 for 'The Idiot'....brilliant album
I don't own that many Iggy albums, I know the 2 original Stooges albums, Raw Power, Lust For Life, and regrettably, Blah Blah Blah, but The Idiot is like no other, and it's just so druggy. I hadn't played it for years, but I certainly won't be leaving it so long before it next gets a spin.
 

knaithrover

Moderator
Nov 24, 2013
216
89
18,870
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
knaithrover said:
Big +1 for 'The Idiot'....brilliant album
I don't own that many Iggy albums, I know the 2 original Stooges albums, Raw Power, Lust For Life, and regrettably, Blah Blah Blah, but The Idiot is like no other, and it's just so druggy. I hadn't played it for years, but I certainly won't be leaving it so long before it next gets a spin.
Lust for Life is probably my favourite of the 2 'Bowie/Berlin' influenced albums but the Idiot runs it close.
 

knaithrover

Moderator
Nov 24, 2013
216
89
18,870
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
knaithrover said:
Big +1 for 'The Idiot'....brilliant album
I don't own that many Iggy albums, I know the 2 original Stooges albums, Raw Power, Lust For Life, and regrettably, Blah Blah Blah, but The Idiot is like no other, and it's just so druggy. I hadn't played it for years, but I certainly won't be leaving it so long before it next gets a spin.
Nightclubbing on the headphones as we speak....

Rest of the back catalogue has many many ropey albums unfortunately
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts