What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 316 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
An extra hour in bed, so I've woken myself up with:

Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup (Side 2's a bit uninspiring)

Then onto:

Beatles - Revolver (Stereo)

For me it's an extra hour of over-excited, half-term celebrating offspring foiling my listening plans post-Andrew Marr. But in amongst the Lego-building frenzy the soundtrack has been:

Pictures At Eleven - Robert Plant

Heart Of The Congos - The Congos

Blonde On Blonde - Bob (UK mono).

Oh, Inverted World - The Shins

Miles In The Sky - Miles Davis

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Bit of a gamble buying this for £3 delivered off eBay from someone who self-admittedly is clearing her deceased dad's unwanted record collection and hasn't listened to any of them. I made an educated guess that someone buying records like this had a good system to play them on and looked after them. This time it paid off.

0fc8a18b-1c7d-4ff1-a2f9-bd5a85d5daf9_zps722bcdee.jpg

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

The Beatles - Sgt Pepper (Stereo)

A better album than I remember.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Us3, Cantaloop, 45 rpm single,

Tina Turner, Private Dancer

Johnny Mathis, The Collection

Ultravox, The Collection

Stevie Winwood, Chronicles

Moody Blues, In search of the Lost Chord (mono)

Another interesting evening's listening.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
'The Immortal Blind Lemon Jefferson.'

The Only Ones: 'Baby's Got A Gun.'

Lee Morgan: 'The Sidewinder.'

Hank Mobley: 'The Turnaround.'

Hank Mobley: 'Soul Station.'

John Coltrane: 'Blue Train.'

Various:'Blue Note's Three Decades Of Jazz 1959-1969.'

Frank Zappa: 'Lumpy Gravy.'

Charles Mingus: 'Mingus Ah Um.'

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Great selections Jim, but no Zimmy???

I laughed when I read this! I haven't played any Zimmy for quite a while and when I see your lists with 'Blonde On Blonde' and 'Highway 61' I always mean to dig mine out. Incidentally, I did get my Indigo Girls records out when I saw one on your recent listings...they made some lovely records: 'Kid Fears' is a brilliant song, featuring Michael Stipe. Oh Michael Stipe!!!! On my facebook page last night an ex student posted a status that she was in a New York bar, having the equivalent of a lock in, and she was sitting with Michael Stipe and Toni Collette...photo of a napkin with Michael's signature to authenticate it! I was gobsmacked. I really must get out more; I mean maybe I could walk into a bar and Howard Jones or Simon Le Bon would be there: how cool would that be?!!! *stop*

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Oh Michael Stipe, indeed. The voice of so many moments.

Great story.

Say hello to Mr. Le Bon, should you have to nudge him aside in your local Scope whilst delving for a mint copy of Seven & The Ragged Tiger.

(Think I've already regaled this forum with my anecdote about meeting him in the mid-80s. Short version should you not recall: my flat mate at Uni was the brother of their touring band's sax player, Andy Hamilton. We went to see them at Manchester Apollo and went backstage later to meet them. I was at the height of my be-quiffed Smiths, New Order, REM, SST bands thing and tried to balance my lofty disdain for such pop fripperies with the rather hidden thrill of meeting a pop star in his pomp&prime. To my surprise, he was not only gracious & engaging in a very non-starry manner but we shared a lengthy conversation about his student drama days in Brum and what life was like for me and my friend at Lancaster Uni. I even invited him to an upcoming production of The Plebeains Rehearse The Uprising that I was in. He couldn't make it, he was scheduled to be in Reigate or Rio!)

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:

Great story.

Say hello to Mr. Le Bon, should you have to nudge him aside in your local Scope whilst delving for a mint copy of Seven & The Ragged Tiger.

(Think I've already regaled this forum with my anecdote about meeting him in the mid-80s. Short version should you not recall: my flat mate at Uni was the brother of their touring band's sax player, Andy Hamilton. We went to see them at Manchester Apollo and went backstage later to meet them. I was at the height of my be-quiffed Smiths, New Order, REM, SST bands thing and tried to balance my lofty disdain for such pop fripperies with the rather hidden thrill of meeting a pop star in his pomp&prime. To my surprise, he was not only gracious & engaging in a very non-starry manner but we shared a lengthy conversation about his student drama days in Brum and what life was like for me and my friend at Lancaster Uni. I even invited him to an upcoming production of The Plebeains Rehearse The Uprising that I was in. He couldn't make it, he was scheduled to be in Reigate or Rio!)

Did I ever tell you that I went to Lancaster too?!!! Did my PGCE at St Martin's. Probably did tell you; if not, what a small world!!

Sorry, I should have not allowed my focus to be Lancaster...I just went back in time. Great story , Charlie, although I must confess to hating Duran Duran with a passion. *dirol*

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim_W said:
Charlie Jefferson said:

Great story.

Did I ever tell you that I went to Lancaster too?!!! Did my PGCE at St Martin's. Probably did tell you; if not, what a small world!!

Sorry, I should have not allowed my focus to be Lancaster...I just went back in time. Great story , Charlie, although I must confess to hating Duran Duran with a passion. *dirol*

Small world indeed.

I think you're a tad older than me Jim, I was in Lancaster 83-88, so I'm guessing our paths could never have geographically crossed.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Jim_W said:
Charlie Jefferson said:

Great story.

Small world indeed.

I think you're a tad older than me Jim, I was in Lancaster 83-88, so I'm guessing our paths could never have geographically crossed.

Yes, just a tad! I finished in 78 or 79. Did a year at Forton Services and then started teaching. I think my first teaching job was 79/80. Its all gone by a bit too quickly for my liking.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
The Beatles - Sgt Pepper (Stereo)

A better album than I remember.

Careful BBB, you're straying perilously close to lavish praise.

*biggrin*

Sorry Charlie, I won't do it again.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

The Beatles - Abbey Road (Stereo)

Not a better album than I remember. *blum3*

In all seriousness, I always rated Abbey Road, and considered Sgt Pepper a little overrated, but having played both over the last few days, Sgt Pepper's definitely the one I enjoyed listening to most.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
The Beatles - Abbey Road (Stereo)

Not a better album than I remember. *blum3*

In all seriousness, I always rated Abbey Road, and considered Sgt Pepper a little overrated, but having played both over the last few days, Sgt Pepper's definitely the one I enjoyed listening to most.

Pepper definitely trumps Abbey Road, for me. The latter is almost too slick, but it does have its moments. They sound like they're having a good time at the point of splitting up.

Pet Sounds in mono, it's the way to go. Also sounds brilliant in stereo, in its Pet Sounds sessions box configuration.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim_W said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Jim_W said:
Charlie Jefferson said:

Great story.

Small world indeed.

Yes, just a tad! I finished in 78 or 79. Did a year at Forton Services and then started teaching. I think my first teaching job was 79/80. Its all gone by a bit too quickly for my liking.

Yes, too quickly for me too.

Forton Services? Remember it well. Oh the radical hi jinks we used to have: driving out there for food at 4am! I drive past it fairly regularly on my jaunts up to my brothers' in the Lakes. It's got my joint favourite tower incongruously resplendent. Other tower: the TV tower in Berlin. Or fernsehturm as my German friends insist on me saying in my terrible Teutonic accent!

Tunes:

Monk Meets Mulligan

Newport 61 - John Coltrane

Blue Paris - John Coltrane

The Joan Baez Ballad Book

Bootleg Series 1-3 - Rob Zim

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts