What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 314 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

stevebrock said:
Well I never

dug out my Lush EPs now spinning Spooky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8yBu_FXlLo

Just try it Steve, it's a thing of true beauty.

Marvindodgers

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I was, and still am a huge fan of Lush, Ride and My Bloody Valentine, but somehow the Pale Saints passed me by at the time - I guess there was only so far my student grant would stretch. Thanks for the recommendation, I shall check them out.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Well, I didn't mind that, was expecting a racket *biggrin*

The whole album's good, though the female vocalist is only on 3 tracks. I do love this album, it's aged much better than a lot of albums of that period.

I really like the chord change as it goes into the chorus-major to minor I think.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Well, I didn't mind that, was expecting a racket *biggrin*

The whole album's good, though the female vocalist is only on 3 tracks. I do love this album, it's aged much better than a lot of albums of that period.

I really like the chord change as it goes into the chorus-major to minor I think.

Great band, had the first two albums, just seen they did a 3rd so will check it out.

Love the Flesh Baloon ep which still gets played very regularly.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

jimbofisher said:
Great band, had the first two albums, just seen they did a 3rd so will check it out.

I've been looking for a copy for a while, but it's hard to find at a reasonable price. There's no Ian Masters on it, so I'm guessing it will lack the diversity of In Ribbons, but I'd still like to get hold of it.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Various - Pillows & Prayers

0-070327-15.jpg

Marvindodgers

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
After really enjoying the new New Order album Music Complete (only on Spotify at the moment, not vinyl), I've spent a morning in the company of NO from their 80s pomp on the record deck.

Technique

Low Life

Brotherhood

Power Corruption and Lies

Freddy58 said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Eldorado - ELO

The Last Waltz & Concert For Bangladesh - the Bob bits.

Highway 61 Revisited - Bob

Triumvirate - Lewis & Clarke

The Indigo Girls.

Be Small - Here We Go Magic

ELO Charlie? Wouldn't have thought it was your kind of thing?

If he likes Bob Dylan then he probably likes Jeff Lynne... along with the rest of the 'Travelling Wilburys'. :)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Al ears said:
If he likes Bob Dylan then he probably likes Jeff Lynne... along with the rest of the 'Travelling Wilburys'. :)

He likes Bob Dylan? Well he never said. *biggrin*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Finished yesterday with Propaganda - A Secret Wish

And started today with Siouxsie & The Banshees - Hyaena

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Al ears said:

He likes Bob Dylan? Well he never said. *biggrin*

He is partial to a bit of Bob. He's just ordered the rather ridiculous box set for Bootleg Series Volume 12. Ridiculous because it's twenty one hours of Bob, consisting of all rehearsals and takes from every song on Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 & Blonde On Blonde. Quite marvellous a prospect, quite ridiculous.

He is also partial to the mighty fine ELO, particularly Eldorado. As ever, they are chanelling The Beatles. Quite effectively and affectedly, he said oxymoronically.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
He is also partial to the mighty fine ELO, particularly Eldorado. As ever, they are chanelling The Beatles. Quite effectively and affectedly, he said oxymoronically.

I really like ELO. Back in the day I had them down as a bit of a novelty act (my bad) based on what I'd heard. As you folks know, I'm a sucker for a melody, and to me, ELO are very strong in that department. Those sweeping string melodies....love it!

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Hello pop-pickers, just a word of warning re Vinyl Lovers reissues. On Saturday I bought a copy of the label's 'Mr Fantasy' reissue because I'm a Traffic nut and will buy any original or nicely-packaged reissue. My brain was hurting after the first track which just sounded wrong: far too bright, compressed and very cd-sounding. After a visit to Steve Hoffman forums and other internet vinyl forums, it seems many, if not all, of their releases are dubbed from cd. At £15/16 a pop, I'd advise researching the title you might fancy before buying. Some may be ok; some are definitely pretty horrible albeit beautifully-packaged.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Not a band that I ever got into, yet I liked their single releases. Is there a 'go to' album?

Well Freddy, I like their second album, 'Traffic' which is less psychedelic and of-its-time than 'Mr Fantasy'; 'John Barleycorn Must Die' is great to listen to and 'Low Spark Of High-Heeled Boys' has more extended songs with sort of improvised/jazzier passages. 'Best Of Traffic' is a pretty good place to start for the novice and contains all of the great singles, with the exception of 'Here We Go 'Round The Mulberry Bush.' Try to hear 'Withering Tree' which was the B side of 'Feelin' Alright' ...it's astonishing. 'Welcome To The Canteen' is a very good live album. One of the best bands from that glorious era.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Jim_W said:
Freddy58 said:
Not a band that I ever got into, yet I liked their single releases. Is there a 'go to' album?

Well Freddy, I like their second album, 'Traffic' which is less psychedelic and of-its-time than 'Mr Fantasy'; 'John Barleycorn Must Die' is great to listen to and 'Low Spark Of High-Heeled Boys' has more extended songs with sort of improvised/jazzier passages. 'Best Of Traffic' is a pretty good place to start for the novice and contains all of the great singles, with the exception of 'Here We Go 'Round The Mulberry Bush.' Try to hear 'Withering Tree' which was the B side of 'Feelin' Alright' ...it's astonishing. 'Welcome To The Canteen' is a very good live album. One of the best bands from that glorious era.

Thanks Jim. I see the 'Best Of' is available on Spotify, and one track caught my eye, 'Fourty Thousand Headmen', which as you're aware is on 'Nice Enough To Eat'. It's a tune I've always liked.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Jim_W said:
Freddy58 said:

Thanks Jim. I see the 'Best Of' is available on Spotify, and one track caught my eye, 'Fourty Thousand Headmen', which as you're aware is on 'Nice Enough To Eat'. It's a tune I've always liked.

Oh those old Island samplers...that's where this terrible addiction began! I loved them! Still love 'em.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Jim_W said:
Freddy58 said:
Jim_W said:
Freddy58 said:

Oh those old Island samplers...that's where this terrible addiction began! I loved them! Still love 'em.

That album/sampler opened up a whole world of music for me. So many new avenues!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts