What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 317 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
Pet Sounds in mono, it's the way to go. Also sounds brilliant in stereo, in its Pet Sounds sessions box configuration.

I'm not sure if it's a 1st pressing (without checking), but it's an early one, and I did well to get it so cheaply (50p I think). It's certainly not in glorious condition, some snap crackle & pop, with the very occasional eruption of inner groove distortion, but it's still nice to have, and play.

I'd quite like to hear it in stereo (Sorry Jim).

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I think Jim would agree that the stereo of PS is actually quite a revelation. (I'm pretty sure the stereo mix was only created in the late 90s for the aforementioned box, though I could be wrong. Lots of talk of it being like adding colour to the original Laurel & Hardy's. Maybe it was the exception that proved the rule!)

Mono, for me, doesn't always necessarily beat the equivalent stereo but with Bob and The Beatles I'd say there's no contest - mono all the way for the earlier ('62-'67 period) albums, though nerdily I love comparing stereo & mono of Rubber Soul to White Album and Bob's holy three, Home to Blonde. All my best Kinks Lps are the mono ones too.

A lot of the recent jazz stuff I've accumulated seems to sing out more in mono.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
I think Jim would agree that the stereo of PS is actually quite a revelation. (I'm pretty sure the stereo mix was only created in the late 90s for the aforementioned box, though I could be wrong. Lots of talk of it being like adding colour to the original Laurel & Hardy's. Maybe it was the exception that proved the rule!)

Mono, for me, doesn't always necessarily beat the equivalent stereo but with Bob and The Beatles I'd say there's no contest - mono all the way for the earlier ('62-'67 period) albums, though nerdily I love comparing stereo & mono of Rubber Soul to White Album and Bob's holy three, Home to Blonde. All my best Kinks Lps are the mono ones too.

It's weird innit. Some of the stereo equivalents just don't sound right. I think a lot of that is down to the dreadful mixes that are carried out when converting. I can still remember hearing 'All You Need Is Love' in stereo for the first time, the drop off at the start is appalling. What were they thinking?

And now...

Thin Lizzy - 'Bad Reputation'

Seal - 'Seal'

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Re 'Pet Sounds', Brian Wilson certainly mixed it in mono and I prefer it that way, but a stereo version was released in 1966 and I think when it initially got a cd releases it was the stereo version...I may well be wrong though. It sounds terribly dated to me these days (lyrics, not music or arrangements) although I do still play it and enjoy it. Must dig it out in one form or another.

I don't prefer everything in mono to be honest; I just started collecting monos when I realised the mixes were sometimes very different: 'She's Leaving Home' in stereo is awful: it's much slower and dirge-like compared to the mono. God only knows why they did that. On the other hand, The Pretty Things 'S F Sorrow' is far better in stereo: much clearer and the effects really don't make it in mono...it sounds muddy and cluttered... to my ears anyway.

'Abbey Road' is ridiculously overrated: it's clean, well-produced and competent...the best sounding Beatles record but it's got a lot of dross on it!

The Kinks in mono...yep. Agreed. i played 'Something Else' the other day and it sounded great in mono. 'Face To Face' is the one I'm still looking for but it goes for about £200 these days.

The great Dylan records from 'Bringing It All Back Home' to 'Blonde On Blonde' are much punchier and more powerful in mono I think. More focus on the band,

Incidentally, many UK monos of US acts were fold-downs from the stereo; if you want mono Doors records, for example, you need to find the US releases. I have mono UK's and they're stereo fold-downs. Actually, come to think of it, the whole mono/stereo issue is a nightmare, albeit an interesting nightmare.

Just my thoughts of course.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:

Because of the way I listen to music (2 front, 2 rear), I nearly always prefer stereo to mono, as it sounds more encompassing. I know it's not for the purist, but to me, it's like having the musicians all around me, though I am still listening in stereo, not some kind of pseudo surround.

I have Rubber Soul and The Good, The Bad & The Ugly soundtrack on both stereo and mono, so I'll have to do some comparisons to see which I prefer, though I think I already know the answer.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim_W said:
'Abbey Road' is ridiculously overrated: it's clean, well-produced and competent...the best sounding Beatles record but it's got a lot of dross on it!

I only got through side one, and I had to take it off. Come Together and I Want You (She's So Heavy) are excellent, Something is a bit dull, and the rest is just pants.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

stevebrock said:
Dave Gilmour - Rattle that Lock

i know......i know.......I need to like it for £24

tedstee0082_kelly_1.jpg

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
stevebrock said:
Dave Gilmour - Rattle that Lock

i know......i know.......I need to like it for £24

Take no notice Steve, if you like it, there's no shame

He doesn't though, he's just trying to convince himself that he hasn't wasted £24. *biggrin*

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
East Coasting - Charles Mingus

Sides 5&6 of Bootleg Series - Bobby D

(Side 5, a set of outtakes and alt versions of songs from 65-66 is better than most entire back cats of most other artists in rock-pop)

Highway 61 Revisited - stereo side 1, mono side 2.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Just had a look on Discogs to see how much Steve could sell his copy for, and it looks like there's an abundance of 'played once only' copies on there, so the answer is, less than he paid for it.

We've all made mistakes when buying records, you just have to accept it, and move on. *smile*

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Well a little story........

I've been meaning to take it back since early October so eventually did today as it was full of pops & clicks and I think it detracted from the music.

Playing tonight it's not that bad, just very chilled out - don't think I will go back to it much but it's not as bad as I first thought.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Just had a look on Discogs to see how much Steve could sell his copy for, and it looks like there's an abundance of 'played once only' copies on there, so the answer is, less than he paid for it.

We've all made mistakes when buying records, you just have to accept it, and move on. *smile*

thanks BBB will just keep it - may become a future classic pmsl

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

stevebrock said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

thanks BBB will just keep it - may become a future classic pmsl

In all seriousness, it's probably not an album that will get repressed, so your 1st pressing might actually be worth a few quid one day.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Well a little story........

I've been meaning to take it back since early October so eventually did today as it was full of pops & clicks and I think it detracted from the music.

Playing tonight it's not that bad, just very chilled out - don't think I will go back to it much but it's not as bad as I first thought.

I've noticed in other places, that some find it's a 'grower', so my advice fwiw, is to stick with it. Gilmour is after all, an exceptional guitarist
thumbs_up.gif

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Ray Charles - Greatest Hits

1942566.jpg

A perfect way to start a Saturday, what a beautiful soundng record!

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Ray Charles - Greatest Hits

A perfect way to start a Saturday, what a beautiful soundng record!

Even better in mono, I imagine!!!!

As I emerge from an unbidden hangover - unexpectedly brilliant night out in downtown Wakefield - my listening has simply consisted of gawping at Fleth & Savage's less than urbane pre-match build up with one long interuption courtesy of Zep's magnificent Presence LP.

3-1 as I type. Come on Das Klop!!!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
3-1 as I type. Come on Das Klop!!!

Ii was very pleasant viewing, and despite the Portuguese whine, the correct result based on quality of play, chances, shots on goal, and ambition. Thoroughly deserved.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts