What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 29 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty said:
mitch65 said:
bretty said:
51GJX1TKJyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Paul Simon - Graceland

Ohh used to have that on ye olde cassette when it first came out,mmmmm me thinks I may have to track that one down.

Yeah, it was a bit of nostalgia for me, too. I got it today, Mitch, from E-bay. It was a fiver, and it's immaculate. Sounds tip-top, too. It's the same very thin vinyl that Sting's 'The Soul Cages' has, but like the Sting album, it seems to have no bearing on the sound quality.

There were quite a few of them on e-bay, when I bought mine, two days ago Mitch. A few of them were buy it now for around a fiver.

I was quite shocked at how thin vinyl was back then, I was cleaning one lp and 'flapping' it to get it dry - looked like I was doing an impression of Rolf Harris!

Might pop down to the Record shop tomorrow to see if he has a copy before sticking my neck out on ebay.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
oasis - masterplan lp

oasis definitley maybe lp

beadyeye- differant gear still speading lp

and im having a little bit of madonna dont ask before the xbox gets switched on.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
images

Small Town Romance - Richard Thompson

I bought this off Ebay last year for less than a fiver, original Hannibal pressing, mint and unopened.

Recorded just after the acrimonious split between Richard and Linda in the early 80's, this is RT's first tentative steps on a solo career.

And what a career! I've seen RT at least 10 times over the years and he just gets better and better.

The mans a legend, and without doubt the finest live performer I've ever had the pleasure to see.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Another of my recent Bristol Show purchases - Nina Simone recorded live in New York in 1957. Sounds astonishing :)

nina_simone-legendary_first_recording.jpg

And the bonus CD will come in handy to rip for the iPod

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
Another of my recent Bristol Show purchases - Nina Simone recorded live in New York in 1957. Sounds astonishing :)

nina_simone-legendary_first_recording.jpg

And the bonus CD will come in handy to rip for the iPod

That looks good, I love her voice though to my shame own nothing of hers.

On my latest mail out from the Music On Vinyl label they announced the release this month of this one..

303_foto1_product_groot.jpg

A stripped bare recording from 1969, as the title suggests just NS and piano, it has been re-released on 180 gms vinyl. Sounds good, I'm sorely tempted.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Ooh, that looks good - thanks for that.

Have now moved on to another Bristol buy (I did rather cane the credit card
smiley-embarassed.gif
):

4471489598_23d661dd04.jpg

Sounds like Bobby and his band have popped round to serenade us :)

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
th_whitesnake.jpg

Whitesnake - `Ready An Willing` `Fool For Your Loving` was one of the first songs that helped get me into hard rock.

Gary Moore - `Still Got The Blues` First play of this great Gary Moore album since his recent death.

Styx - `Equinox` Haven`t played any Styx for ages so I`m going to work my way through my collection over the next week or so.

A

Anonymous

Herbie Hancock - Speak Like a Child
Milton Nascimento - Clube Da Esquina

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
51nTwsBpWJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Terence Trent D'arby - Introducing the Hardline.......

This is my third album that is on the super-thin, 80's vinyl, and the third that sounds pukka. So it seems SQ isn't dependent on vinyl thickness. Still, it is nicer to feel a 200g slab of vinyl in your hands than these 80's wobble-fests.
smiley-smile.gif

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty said:
51nTwsBpWJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This is my third album that is on the super-thin, 80's vinyl, and the third that sounds pukka. So it seems SQ isn't dependent on vinyl thickness. Still, it is nicer to feel a 200g slab of vinyl in your hands than these 80's wobble-fests.
smiley-smile.gif

That's weird, I was looking at that album yesterday but I only had enough money for 12 albums so had to go back on the shelf :(

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
51c5Rr9aEwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Never gets mentioned much Steve Miller, but he's produced some good stuff.

Record fair next weekend and I'm going to be looking out for some of his stuff if the price is right.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
mitch65 said:
bretty said:

smiley-smile.gif

That's weird, I was looking at that album yesterday but I only had enough money for 12 albums so had to go back on the shelf :(

I'd get it next time, mate. the drums and vocals, in particular, sound great.
smiley-smile.gif

Any news on your TecnoArm, yet?

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Think I might sneak in their tomorrow afternoon - it's got to be a steal at a quid! :)

No news on the arm front yet, I'm hoping to hear sometime over the next few days as it's quite possible that I may start getting a bit narked

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
mitch65 said:
Think I might sneak in their tomorrow afternoon - it's got to be a steal at a quid! :)

No news on the arm front yet, I'm hoping to hear sometime over the next few days as it's quite possible that I may start getting a bit narked

My arm arrived, this morning, which is great, but I think I may have similar trouble to you with having to wait for the DC motor and PSU, which are both coming from Michell, I think. I ordered them over a week ago and I've had nothing yet, beyond the confirmation e-mail.

EDIT: that's a coinkydink. I just checked my email after writing this post, and the motor and PSU have been despatched.

I think it's time you got narked, mate. It's been about a month now, hasn't it? Time for them to feel the pain! J)

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
g

Big Shout out to Bretty.....

just took delivery of "Lisa Hannigan - See Sew

Absolutely amazing voice and album. Nice Gatefold sleeve with thick Vinyl and a nice Lyrics Booklet.

Thanks for the recommendation Bretty

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Jason36 said:
g

Big Shout out to Bretty..... just took delivery of "Lisa Hannigan - See Sew Absolutely amazing voice and album. Nice Gatefold sleeve with thick Vinyl and a nice Lyrics Booklet. Thanks for the recommendation Bretty

You're welcome, mate. I'm glad you like it. It's one of those rare albums that is instantly accessible, but doesn't become boring. It just gets better and better the more you hear it.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Oh I agree I have already played it four times since I took delivery this morning :)

Also in return and slightly off topic, because I have bought them on CD (looks around sheepishly to see if Floyd Droid heard that)........

Bright Eyes - The People's Key

Conor Oberst - Conor Oberst

Nicole Atkins - Neptune City

Highly recommended and I am sure the vinyl versions (if available) are probably just as good....if not better :)

Also why can I only post on here if I disable Rich Text?????

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Well three unexpected LP's turned up tonight courtesy of my other half's trip into town at lunchtime (well it is my birthday afterall).......but the nice thing is this was totally unprompted by me and definately unexpected...so a really nice surprise..

Not Bad choices either......

Don McLean - Chain Lightning

Chris Rea - Auberge

Simple Minds - Celebration

What's even more surprising is that all the sleeves are in virtually excellent / mint condition and so is the viynl..... but apparently she doesnt get this music malarky at all :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts