What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 24 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Never one to be behind the times I have just bought (ebay) a copy of ROCK AROUND THE CLOCK by BILL HALEY AND THE COMETS.

Its on the German Brunswick label and sounds as fresh as ever.

Long live ROCK N ROLL!!!

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
51DA49cJ7GL._SS500_.jpg

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
dib i love it every day i log in just to see what plastc you have on the platter.

i am waiting on the beady eye album from amazon and a defitinety maybe purchase from ebay fingers crossed its not a bootleg.

just a couple of classics tonight

neil young- decade and bruce springsteen - born to run

im looking at going my first record fair soon. dib where do get your vinyl from?

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
smuggs:
dib i love it every day i log in just to see what plastc you have on the platter.

i am waiting on the beady eye album from amazon and a defitinety maybe purchase from ebay fingers crossed its not a bootleg.

just a couple of classics tonight

neil young- decade and bruce springsteen - born to run

im looking at going my first record fair soon. dib where do get your vinyl from?

Well thanks a lot Smuggs, I wish my wife and kids were of a like mind
emotion-1.gif

The majority of what I play is old vinyl, started my collection many, many years ago with The Beatles "Abbey Road" and sort of went on from there. However, I've been buying quite a bit lately from numerous sources, new and secondhand.

The last one I posted (Focus - 3) was a rarity ie. a brand new pressing, over £20. I had been determined not to pay these sort of prices for vinyl, but that particular LP was an exception. It's a superb recording and the actual vinyl is perfect.

However, I'd say over the last couple of years I've bought mostly off Ebay, charity shops, and record fairs. There's a record fair every 2/3 months in Manchester and I try and get to as many as I can. I love them. I'm an old saddo really, I can just browse for ages. I have to limit myself budget wise, otherwise I'd just go crazy splashing the cash. You can't exactly spend hours looking at Flac or MP3 files.

Anyway, I'm finishing the evening with another dose of 70's class, the air guitarists dream album...

41PBuP%2BTaOL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Original vinyl, a bit crackly, but sounding sweet.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
smuggs:

amazon have robin trower-seven moons £29.99 is that the one.

thanks for the heads up lost

No. It's what DIB was playing Bridge Of Sighs. Avoid the others without listening first.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
smuggs:
amazon have robin trower-seven moons £29.99 is that the one.

thanks for the heads up lost

I like that Jack Bruce/Robin Trower album, but not enough to pay that sort of money!

No, as LA says "Bridge of Sighs" is the one. Get onto Spotify first, there's loads of RT on there including Bridge of Sighs.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
got you just had a spotify half hour while watching chelsea v utd on mute and liked it loads on ebay so i will get on in the next few weeks if i find a bargin. thanks again

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
lost and dib theres one album im loving on spotify but cant find a copy on vinyl for under £25 is there any 180g re-issues/remasters out there

the album is i am kloot-natural history

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Can't help you on the I Am Kloot I'm afraid. I listened to their last album "Sky at Night" on Spotify last year and enjoyed that.

Anyways, I'm all progged out so have finished the evening with some great R 'n R/Pop from the late 70's...

41RW2PH5PGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Joe10155

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
The Russian State Academy Choir - Conducted by A. W. Sveschnikov

Just found a review in Gramophone, the June 1958 issue; I knew it was old and in mono but not that old. After a good clean it sounds pretty good.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Joe10155:

The Russian State Academy Choir - Conducted by A. W. Sveschnikov

Just found a review in Gramophone, the June 1958 issue; I knew it was old and in mono but not that old. After a good clean it sounds pretty good.

Interesting . I have recently taken charge of my late father's three Soviet Army Ensemble LPs which I remember listening to in the Seventies . There are two tracks I particularly like, Kalinka and Soldier's Chorus . Good stirring stuff ,

Nick

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
my brand new copy of beady eye is having a spin and i like liam,bell,gem and done well.

its good sq as well a little clean and forward for an lp, i mean a touch cd sounding if that makes sense

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
DIB:

Talking about the best band you've ever seen live, these come very close...

41oio4JENvL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Great band. Anthem would be my favourite SAHB track. I have seen them and they were very good but Bad Co were outstanding.
Paul Rodgers singing was superb.He was perhaps the best singer from the time.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Last nights listening .

Holger Czukay On the way to the peak of Normal

Spirit Twelve dreams of Dr. Sardonicus

Holger Hiller A bunch of foulness in the pit

Canned Heat Live at Tobanga Canyon

Pere Ubu New Picnic Time

Anna Calvi

The Orb Peel sessions

Most of those I haven't listened to for many years so it was good to hear them again after all that time . I've only got a couple of hundred more old LPs to go , then I'll have relistened to all my collection .

Nick

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts