What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 23 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
My TT hasn't had any action for the last few weeks. I've been having a strange 'can't be bothered with it' phase. But, tonight i'm playing

emotion-1.gif

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty:
My TT hasn't had any action for the last few weeks. I've been having a strange 'can't be bothered with it' phase. But, tonight i'm playing

emotion-1.gif

I know that feeling, got rid of it by buying a load more records
emotion-2.gif

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
mitch65:

emotion-2.gif

I don't know why I was having a downer on the TT. Weird. I'm having a morning of vinyl, today. Listening to Carol King's 'Tapestry' right now. Original '72 pressing. Cost 50p and sounds brand new. Great stuff.

So, how are you enjoying being back in the vinyl club, Mitch? and, when are you getting the TechnoArm?

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
DIB:

41ENMVCBZYL._SS500_.jpg

Kitsch by the Heavy Metal Kids, a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine from the 70's. Gary Holton's ( of Auf Wiedersehen Pet fame) band, this was their stab at mainstream success, complete with Micky Most (remember him?) over-production. Punk put paid to any chance of that, but it has some good tunes though.

Never saw them but a decent live band I believe, though the name Heavy Metal Kids is stretching the imagination a bit..

I remember seeing them and bought this afterwards which I will play later
51ZBy3oAMmL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Currently playing
51y-3qajxrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty:mitch65:

emotion-2.gif

I don't know why I was having a downer on the TT. Weird. I'm having a morning of vinyl, today. Listening to Carol King's 'Tapestry' right now. Original '72 pressing. Cost 50p and sounds brand new. Great stuff.

So, how are you enjoying being back in the vinyl club, Mitch? and, when are you getting the TechnoArm?

Bought about 20 albums from the shop in Little Common so going great guns. The Technoarm is still on order so hoping I might see it next week if I'm lucky

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Everyone's gone out for an hour, so its on with this recently acquired LP at a more than decent volume. I'm not a massive metal fan but this album is just so good.

61VCOk8c8-L._SS500_.jpg

Thinking about it, this could go into the best debut thread too.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
peter_gabriel_shaking_tree_sixteen_golden_greats-PGLP09-1292014563.jpeg

Peter Gabriel - Shaking the Tree; 2LP collection. Or 'Shaking the Bass Drivers' as i've renamed it, after hearing the end of Don't Give Up
emotion-2.gif

This is one of my new Bristol Show purchases - lots more goodies to come...

A

Anonymous

31WGX6KM49L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Norah Jones - Come away with me.

I know the music well, and love this album, but am thoroughly underwhelmed by the vinyl recording. Especially on side B.

51JxNskcfML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Miles Davies - Nefertiti. Simply fantastic Columbia/Legacy recording.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
DIB:
Everyone's gone out for an hour, so its on with this recently acquired LP at a more than decent volume. I'm not a massive metal fan but this album is just so good.

61VCOk8c8-L._SS500_.jpg

Thinking about it, this could go into the best debut thread too.

That's a great album all the way through and more 'bluesey' than most would think.

I recently picked up a Dr Feelgood album, Malpractice, at my local charity shop and that too is a great album. It's been said they never really captured their live sound in the studio but this album makes a decent stab of it.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
I went to my first record fair for over 15 years at Shrewsbury yesterday and spent £30.00 . For that I came away with:

Tangerine Dream Exit

Kraftwerk Autobahn

Klaus Schulz Live ( a double)

Davy Spillane Out of the Air

Be-Bop Deluxe Sunburst Finish

Hula Threshold

Shadowland

And , er , Yes Fragile ( purely for nostalgic reasons )

They have all been Knostified and the ones that I have heard sound pretty good with very few snap , crackle or pops . All in all ,not a bad haul ,

Nick

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Bjork - Greatest Hits. Numbered Limited edition (1000 worldwide) DMM Remaster.

This sounds just amazing. It, along with the Limited Edtion 'Vespertine' Remaster, are just the best sounding vinyl that i've ever heard. They have a noise floor as quiet as a cd, but with all the extra dynamics of vinyl. I got both albums for great prices from Amazon, late last year (£20 each). As far as I can see, you can't get them for that anymore, it's more like £45 -£70 each. Even so, if you're feeling a bit flush, and want to hear what vinyl can REALLY sound like, then get the 'Greatest Hits'.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
shropshire lad:
I went to my first record fair for over 15 years at Shrewsbury yesterday and spent £30.00 . For that I came away with:

Tangerine Dream Exit

Kraftwerk Autobahn

Klaus Schulz Live ( a double)

Davy Spillane Out of the Air

Be-Bop Deluxe Sunburst Finish

Hula Threshold

Shadowland

And , er , Yes Fragile ( purely for nostalgic reasons )

They have all been Knostified and the ones that I have heard sound pretty good with very few snap , crackle or pops . All in all ,not a bad haul ,

Nick

Be Bop Deluxe - one of my favourite acts back in the 70's. Went to see them 2 or 3 times. Great band. Bill Nelson is still ploughing his own furrow, doing exactly what he wants to do. More power to him and his like. Has a small but fanatical following too.

As for Yes and Fragile, don't be shy, they were a great band back then and this is a good 'un. Not as good as the Yes, The Yes Album or Time and a Word albums but well worth a listen nonetheless. Play it with pride young man!

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
DIB:

Sticking with the 70's theme, you can never play this one enough..

51OkdfTGF%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I nearly bought this one yesterday as well but called it a halt at what I had . I do remember listening to someone else's copy way back when but never got it for myself . I'll get it next time I see it . I also ummed and ahhed over a Montrose LP but at £10.00 I didn't want it that much .

As for calling me "young man " , I like you ! However , I suspect we are of a fairly similar vintage .

As for Be-Bop Deluxe , I had never heard them before buying the LP yesterday , although I remember the cover , but seeing mentions in various places I thought I'd finally give them a go . And for £3.00 there wasn't much risk involved . I also recent looked at Bill Nelson's website via a link from Malcolm Steward's website . He certainly is still going and producing stuff .

Nick

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Pushed the boat out for this one, a 180gm Music on Vinyl double LP release of this absolute smasher from Burning Shed Records.

Used to have this one but god knows where it went. However, I'll be having a great night in tonight listening to this..

51gb8tkTLVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts