What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 192 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Jim-W said:
Tonto's Expanding Head Band-Zero Time

Blimey, that takes me back...

Like I said, you're knocking on a bit. Anyway, I read in one of your posts on the Hifi threads that you didn't think much of Moonchild from 'In The Court Of The Crimson King.' Well, I think it's a great song. Just sayin' as they say these days.
naughty.gif

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

stevebrock said:
New Order - Power, Corruption & Lies

Ectasy must be one of the best ever New Order tracks........period!

I hate American English.......Full stop! ;)

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Hi Charlie

Yes, I saw the Neil Young box but I'm not going to buy it, I've got them all and, in some cases, twice.The days of justifying that kind of purchase are gone I'm sad to say. Having said that, let's just say that I come across it somewhere, I wouldn't be able to help myself.

Hi BBB

Yes I liked the OTC enough to track down a copy, although when I'll find one is anybody's guess. Great recommendation.

Been up to the loft:

Beethoven The Late Quartets-Lindsay String Quartet. Cuz Im cultured right innit.

Charlie Parker. The Savoy Master Takes.

John Coltrane-More Lasting Than Bronze.

Larry Coryell-Spaces.

Walter Carlos-Switched On Bach. God knows why I brought this down. It's ok though.

John Coltrane-Coltrane Jazz. mono.

The Live Adventures Of Mike Bloomfeld And Al Kooper.

Tonto's Expanding Head Band-Zero Time.

Bit of an odd mix really tbh but hey, that's the beauty of record collecting.

Hi Jim,

Yes, I'm the same with NY but it'll be bought one way or another, I'm sure.

Your list of loft-y plays ( geddit? Terrible pun, sorry) includes the Kooper/Bloomfield LP I've been trying to hunt done for awhile. Saw it at a record fair a few months ago but it was beyond repair. You've got a cool stack of Coltranes too, it seems.

My only plays this evening;

Music Makers - Hank Snow

Greatest Hits - Bill Monroe

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I have a turntable again. :)

Side 1 and 2 of Stone Roses - The Second Coming

Side 1 of This Mortal Coil - Blood

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Jim-W said:
Hi Charlie

Yes, I saw the Neil Young box but I'm not going to buy it, I've got them all and, in some cases, twice.The days of justifying that kind of purchase are gone I'm sad to say. Having said that, let's just say that I come across it somewhere, I wouldn't be able to help myself.

Hi BBB

Yes I liked the OTC enough to track down a copy, although when I'll find one is anybody's guess. Great recommendation.

Been up to the loft:

Beethoven The Late Quartets-Lindsay String Quartet. Cuz Im cultured right innit.

Charlie Parker. The Savoy Master Takes.

John Coltrane-More Lasting Than Bronze.

Larry Coryell-Spaces.

Walter Carlos-Switched On Bach. God knows why I brought this down. It's ok though.

John Coltrane-Coltrane Jazz. mono.

The Live Adventures Of Mike Bloomfeld And Al Kooper.

Tonto's Expanding Head Band-Zero Time.

Bit of an odd mix really tbh but hey, that's the beauty of record collecting.

Hi Jim,

Yes, I'm the same with NY but it'll be bought one way or another, I'm sure.

Your list of loft-y plays ( geddit? Terrible pun, sorry) includes the Kooper/Bloomfield LP I've been trying to hunt done for awhile. Saw it at a record fair a few months ago but it was beyond repair. You've got a cool stack of Coltranes too, it seems.

My only plays this evening;

Music Makers - Hank Snow

Greatest Hits - Bill Monroe

Hi Charlie

Yes, I get your pun!

I've got more records by John Coltrane and Charlie Parker than any other musicians I think. I went mad for Coltrane after 'Kind Of Blue' and 'Blue Train.' I bought anything I could get my hands on-it was an obsession.I like all the periods of Coltrane from early to the late free stuff, like 'Stellar Regions' which I think is wonderful. The Parker phase was beyond an obsession; it has cooled somewhat from 20 years or so ago when I was listening to Bird and nothing else but I loved his playing and still do. If pushed, along with Bert Jansch, Parker is my favourite musician for the mastery and command of his instrument and the exuberance of his solos. Bird became an addiction like no other. Funny how some artists speak to us and others we can take or leave.

The Live Adventures album is a mixed bag to be honest; there's some great guitar playing and keyboard stuff. In fact, I think Bloomfield is brilliant on this record although many argue that he is tired and past his best. The choice of songs and lack of inspiring new material is a major weakness.Other guitarists appear on Sides 3/4 which I think suggests Bloomfield's increasing unreliability or maybe he just had a cold or a migraine or something! It's well worth hearing though and I love the cover.

What about Pono, Charlie? Will you?

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Lost Angeles said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I have a turntable again. :)

I hope you have more success than I have had with my amp, lasted 3 tracks :wall:

I tried 4 Elcit R's !! I gave up and got into Valves!

Genesis - Genesis

Genesis - Invisible Touch

Massive Attack - Mezzanine

Hi Steve

I've long been thinking about valves and Icon Audio in particular. I'd be really interested to know what you think of your Icon amp and how it compares with solid state stuff and the Rega Brio.

Cheers

Jim.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Jim,

Always was a bit wary of 'valves' - all they hype about warm etc is just rubbish IMO

Well the Elciit R was nice transparent sounding amp, the Brio R is a fantastic SS amp for the money. As you know had 4 Elciits before I gave up - was quite gutted, demoed a Creek Destiny 2 and Primare i30 - both nice amps but I really wasn't feeling it with them.

Well I gave in to peer pressure - got the ST40 home and my god the thing just sings - forget warm, mushy bollox - its an urban myth. The ST40 wipes the floor with the Elciit R, the imaging is amazing, lots of taut bass, sweet treble - everything just flows - it just sounds right - no at all edgy like a SS amp.

I can assure you if you listen to one you would be a convert - mine is on most days for hours!

BTW

Listening to:

Massive Attack - Heligoland

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Jim,

Always was a bit wary of 'valves' - all they hype about warm etc is just rubbish IMO

Well the Elciit R was nice transparent sounding amp, the Brio R is a fantastic SS amp for the money. As you know had 4 Elciits before I gave up - was quite gutted, demoed a Creek Destiny 2 and Primare i30 - both nice amps but I really wasn't feeling it with them.

Well I gave in to peer pressure - got the ST40 home and my god the thing just sings - forget warm, mushy bollox - its an urban myth. The ST40 wipes the floor with the Elciit R, the imaging is amazing, lots of taut bass, sweet treble - everything just flows - it just sounds right - no at all edgy like a SS amp.

I can assure you if you listen to one you would be a convert - mine is on most days for hours!

BTW

Listening to:

Massive Attack - Heligoland

Steve

Thanks. Bet Massive Attack sound damn good then. I have to audition one. I know one day I'm going to get one; it's just a matter of time. I'm not far away from Icon so I'll book an audition. The valve amps I've heard just sound right and, as you say, the music flows.

Thanks for your reply.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
nima said:
stevebrock said:
The Smiths - The Queen is Dead (Re-Issue)

Why oh why did I spend months hunting an original down paying loads for it?

The Re-Issue sounds amazing

Rhino?

Cant see Rhino anywhere on the Sleeve. LPs

In actual fact the lables look identical to my original - to all intents & purposes it looks the same but is on heavier weight vinyl

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts