What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 191 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
It's Sunday evening. Beer, vinyl, regret.

Want Two - Rufus Wainwright

Not a patch on Want One but still plenty of interesting moments.

Okonosos - My Morning Jacket

The best 4LP live set in existence.

Chutes Too Narrow - The Shins

Nixon - Lambchop

Sublime: like when Curtis met Brian. As in Mayfield and Wilson. Lest there be uproarious confusion.

Darklands - JAMC

Pop-noise perfection.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Watched the rugby, mowed the grass and fell asleep so only:

Chuck Berry-Chuck Berry Pye International mono.

Lee Morgan-In Search Of The New Land.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:

Jim

Have you heard, or do you own Olivia Tremor Control-Dust At Cubist Castle?

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim-W said:

Jim

Have you heard, or do you own Olivia Tremor Control-Dust At Cubist Castle?

Hi BBB.

I've heard of the band but I've never heard their records. I guess you're going to tell me I have to hear it, right?

I'll do the spotify thing.

I also need some Lambchop and Iron And Wine records.I was going to stop buying so much stuff but it's just not happening.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
The_Lhc said:
Freddy58 said:
The_Lhc said:
R-2994472-1349483144-4728.jpeg

very clean.

Certainly looks it :grin:

Brilliant. Now I can't edit the post to put a URL in that works. |(

Luciano_Pavarotti_King_Of_The_High_C's.jpg

Ah well, all's well that ends well :)

As an aside, do you have an anger problem?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:
I've heard of the band but I've never heard their records. I guess you're going to tell me I have to hear it, right?

Oh yes, and Charlie J will tell you the same. I'm not sure what Spotify have of OTC, but it's very much an album, a complete work, a concept piece really, so I would highly recommend just going for it.

Think Beatles, Beach Boys, Psychedelia, recorded on a shoestring, occasionally with out of tune instruments, and slightly off harmonies, but wonderful tunes and ambition, and results that you never get bored of.

Charlie would probably recommend the 2nd (proper) album too, but I just can't get past the first. It's a thing of beauty.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim-W said:

Oh yes, and Charlie J will tell you the same. I'm not sure what Spotify have of OTC, but it's very much an album, a complete work, a concept piece really, so I would highly recommend just going for it.

Think Beatles, Beach Boys, Psychedelia, recorded on a shoestring, occasionally with out of tune instruments, and slightly off harmonies, but wonderful tunes and ambition, and results that you never get bored of.

Charlie would probably recommend the 2nd (proper) album too, but I just can't get past the first. It's a thing of beauty.

Well, that sounds very interesting. I'll contact my record geezer and see if he can manage to get hold of their stuff. Thanks for this, BBB. in the meantime, I'll try and find their stuff on youtube or some download site.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi BBB and Charlie

I've been listening to Olivia Tremor Control, 'Music from the unrealized film script dusk at cubist castle.' on youtube and it's damn good. What a silly name for a pop group though; why didn't they just call themselves The Fab Clocks or something? Oh well. I suppose I'll have to hunt for all their records now and here's me thinking that it was about time I curtailed this ridiculous hobby. No matter how cluttered your house has become, there's always room for another few (hundred) records! Thanks for the recommendation.

This morning:

Bobby Hutcherson-Dialogue. This has Richard Davis, the bassist on 'Astral Weeks' and saxophonist Sam Rivers. Not quite free but angular and a bit 'out there.'

Sly And The Family Stone-Fresh.

Sidney Bechet-Jazz Classics (Blue Note)

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
:?

Hi Jim and BBB,

Great news!! Another convert to the OTC cause. BBB, I think your description really captured the essential brilliance of the album. Yes, I do rate the next album but I think Dusk is the masterpiece. I'm glad you referenced The Beach Boys too. They were my springboard for discovering OTC many years ago. A friend was obsessed with the album and knew his best chance of getting me to invest time and money was a judiciously placed Brian reference.

Have you heard We Are Catcher's Tap, Tap,Tap single??? Genius. Ish. It sort of reminded me of OTC. Ramshackle but poignant, melodic and upbeat at one and the same time.

Jim, I liked your line about there always being room for a few more (hundred) records. Ditto.

Did you see the latest vinyl release from NY is a box set re-issue of On The Beach, Zuma,,Tonight's & Time Fades Away? I have got theme all on vinyl but a pristine re-press is so tempting.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:
I've been listening to Olivia Tremor Control, 'Music from the unrealized film script dusk at cubist castle.' on youtube and it's damn good.

It's a great album Jim, not only is it quite immediate, it grows and grows on you too. The Opera House was my favourite track on first listen, now every track is my favourite.

I thought you would like it, so I'm happy that you do.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi Charlie

Yes, I saw the Neil Young box but I'm not going to buy it, I've got them all and, in some cases, twice.The days of justifying that kind of purchase are gone I'm sad to say. Having said that, let's just say that I come across it somewhere, I wouldn't be able to help myself.

Hi BBB

Yes I liked the OTC enough to track down a copy, although when I'll find one is anybody's guess. Great recommendation.

Been up to the loft:

Beethoven The Late Quartets-Lindsay String Quartet. Cuz Im cultured right innit.

Charlie Parker. The Savoy Master Takes.

John Coltrane-More Lasting Than Bronze.

Larry Coryell-Spaces.

Walter Carlos-Switched On Bach. God knows why I brought this down. It's ok though.

John Coltrane-Coltrane Jazz. mono.

The Live Adventures Of Mike Bloomfeld And Al Kooper.

Tonto's Expanding Head Band-Zero Time.

Bit of an odd mix really tbh but hey, that's the beauty of record collecting.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts