What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 194 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Street Choir - Van Morrison

Unplugged - Neil Young

Harvest Moon - Neil Young

Vini Reilly - The Durutti Column

Murmur - REM

The Yellow Princess - John Fahey

Wow! That's a mighty fine list, Charlie!

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
Bruce Springsten's 'High Hopes'. The best from the Boss!

'The Ghost of Tom Joad' will give yor system a workout.

'Tom Joad' is a great record. Not heard 'High Hopes' yet which is odd because I usually buy Bruce as he releases them. Maybe I got Bruce-fatigue!

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Jim, I'm having my regular booze and Sunday late night vinyl session.

I've moved on from NY to more John Fahey and the magnificent Transfiguration Of Blind Joe Death. Alongside the sublime "Vini Reilly" LP it's my instrumental highlight of the night.

I know REM recorded many great and good albums but did they ever better Murmur?

How was Side 4 of your "new" White Album, if you made it that far? As you say, it's a great single album spread over two discs but nonetheless a work of wonderment.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Miles Davis - Sketches Of Spain

Babybird - There's Something Going On

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Thanks Jim, I'm having my regular booze and Sunday late night vinyl session.

I've moved on from NY to more John Fahey and the magnificent Transfiguration Of Blind Joe Death. Alongside the sublime "Vini Reilly" LP it's my instrumental highlight of the night.

I know REM recorded many great and good albums but did they ever better Murmur?

How was Side 4 of your "new" White Album, if you made it that far? As you say, it's a great single album spread over two discs but nonetheless a work of wonderment.

Hi Charlie

Well 'Transfiguration Of Blind Joe Death' is on as I type! That dude sure can play. 'Of Rivers And Religion' is another one of my favourites; recommended if you don't know it.

Did they ever better 'Murmur'? My first response is, 'No.' I love the fact that Michael Stipe makes no sense and it's all weird and strange. Lovely guitars too. What gets close? 'Fables', 'Reckoning', 'New Adventures' 'Automatic' and 'Up.' For me, 'Green' and 'Document' are massively overrated.

Side 4 was fine although, oddly, there's a bit of distortion on 'Good Night'- as if somebody played it more than the rest of the album! How very weird! Side 4 has 'Cry Baby Cry' which is probably my favourite song on the album.

Music, booze and Sunday nights. One of life's pleasures. Then you wake up and it's Monday. I'm in 2 days next week but I'll try and get them to stay after school. Have a good week.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Is there a more heart-in-your-mouth job than changing cartridges? Nope, there isn't.

Nice to see Talk Talk and Miles records getting a spin.

So far today:

Dave Brubeck-'Gone With The Wind'

Buffalo Lee Grant-'Mighty Joe Moon' Mighty indeed. Wonderful record.

The Allman Brothers Band-1st album.

Ralph McTell-'Spiral Staircase'

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Hi BBB,,

I saw your mention of the Babybird LP a while ago, and tried to dig out my vinyl copy of Ugly Beautiful but it's in my in-laws garage. Great band/person. Saw Mr.Jones at a Beck gig at the height of his "You're Gorgeous" fame. He was unsurrounded by fans but accompanied by a rather beguiling sylph. That's fame for you. Back Together is one the greatest songs of all-time in my moth-eaten book.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Is there a more heart-in-your-mouth job than changing cartridges? Nope, there isn't.

Nice to see Talk Talk and Miles records getting a spin.

So far today:

Dave Brubeck-'Gone With The Wind'

Buffalo Lee Grant-'Mighty Joe Moon' Mighty indeed. Wonderful record.

The Allman Brothers Band-1st album.

Ralph McTell-'Spiral Staircase'

Hi Jim,

I think your preferences for beyond-Murmur REM albums match mine. Up is probably my second favourite. A much-maligned LP I seem to recall. Nonsense, it's pure pop-art.

I made it through another Monday. The practical exam is next week Monday to Wednesday. Good luck with all your drama endeavours. Oh, and also with the cartridge change!!! Rather you than me.

(Just checked my John Fahey albums (four on vinyl, three on CD) and no I don't have the Of Religion and Rivers album. Will seek it out).

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Hi BBB,,

I saw your mention of the Babybird LP a while ago, and tried to dig out my vinyl copy of Ugly Beautiful but it's in my in-laws garage. Great band/person. Saw Mr.Jones at a Beck gig at the height of his "You're Gorgeous" fame. He was unsurrounded by fans but accompanied by a rather beguiling sylph. That's fame for you. Back Together is one the greatest songs of all-time in my moth-eaten book.

TSGO is a great album, and I was really surprised to see it on vinyl, and even more surpised to get it so cheap, when I've never seen another copy ever. I've got the first three collections on CD, plus Ugly Beautiful, but I just had to have this on vinyl.

It's weird how one song can make you money, but destroy the rest of your career. I guess there's been a few examples, The Screaming Blue Messiahs spring to mind, with "I Wanna Be A Flintstone", a good band, but impossible to take seriously after.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
geordie777 said:
Loaded - Velvet Underground

Fill Your Head With Rock - Various

Please Please Me - The Beatles

Your Future Our Clutter - The Fall

That looks like a perfect playlist for a Monday or any other night.

There's only one record for me tonight though and it's the four discs of Okonokos by My Morning Jacket.

Stunning sound, it just about captures something of their transcendent live magnificence, and moreover great songs from their wondrous canon, up to that point in time 2005-06, I think.

Dondante is the sound of Durutti Column meets Neil Young and stretches over ten minutes into a paroxysm of grief-stricken pleasure. Yep, writing about music is, as FZ said, like dancing about architecture. I cannot do it any justice.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
'Fill your Head With Rock' ! Blimey, that had some good stuff on it. I like those old samplers; they're always interesting. We used to call 'Fill Your Head With Rock' something very disgusting by substituting other words for Head and Rock. We were 14 so I've forgiven myself.

'Up' is a lovely record and unfairly slated. Side 4 is sublime. it's one of my daughter's REM favourites too. 'Murmur' for her too as the best.

Don't know My Morning Jacket but I've always read their reviews with interest and thought that I must get some of their stuff.

I've just been on the hifi forums: God, there's some bad-tempered chaps in there. Pompous oafs.

Bob Marley-Kaya

The Pretty Things-Freeway Madness

Captain Beefheart-Strictly Personal.

I've brought my Captain Beefheart 'Grow Fins' records down from the loft so I'll be listening to those later.

Best wishes with your practical, Charlie. I know how taxing it all is.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Jim. Hope all goes well for you too with those pesky drama kids.

Grow Fins is fantastic, isn't it? As for Strictly Personal, I've always liked it and likened it to a halfway house between art-mayhem and mainstream Beefheart.

MMJ are the best rock band of the last decade or so, for me. I use "rock" in the loosest sense of NY, Grateful Dead, The Band, The Byrds, The Beach Boys, Curtis Mayfield, REM & Bob. MMJ are none and all of those at certain points in their six studio album career, to date. There's a stack of legit and otherwise live albums/downloads/boots too and loads of off-cuts and off-shoots. If you've read the reviews you'll know what I'm blabbing on about.

Like all good, possibly great bands, their sound has evolved and somehow remained recognisably them. No one album is a better place to start than any other*. All different. Ish. All speckled with. . . love and the voice of Jim James.

Buyer beware in terms of vinyl, though. If you do like them, try to get their albums on Badman records. They sound superb. The other (several) pressings are not up to that standard.

*but I started with their second LP, At Dawn (2001). Sublime. Long. Double vinyl.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Thanks Jim. Hope all goes well for you too with those pesky drama kids.

Grow Fins is fantastic, isn't it? As for Strictly Personal, I've always liked it and likened it to a halfway house between art-mayhem and mainstream Beefheart.

MMJ are the best rock band of the last decade or so, for me. I use "rock" in the loosest sense of NY, Grateful Dead, The Band, The Byrds, The Beach Boys, Curtis Mayfield, REM & Bob. MMJ are none and all of those at certain points in their six studio album career, to date. There's a stack of legit and otherwise live albums/downloads/boots too and loads of off-cuts and off-shoots. If you've read the reviews you'll know what I'm blabbing on about.

Like all good, possibly great bands, their sound has evolved and somehow remained recognisably them. No one album is a better place to start than any other*. All different. Ish. All speckled with. . . love and the voice of Jim James.

Buyer beware in terms of vinyl, though. If you do like them, try to get their albums on Badman records. They sound superb. The other (several) pressings are not up to that standard.

*but I started with their second LP, At Dawn (2001). Sublime. Long. Double vinyl.

Thanks, Charlie. Placing MMJ amongst such exalted company has inspired me to check them out. Your list is like my favourite bands list! I ought to tell you I'm a big Grateful Dead fan just in case you hadn't worked it out. I'll youtube MMJ for an hour or so tonight to get a flavour; as you probably know only too well, an hour suddenly becomes 3 o'clock in the morning! 'Speckled with love.' I'll use that in a poem. I'm deadly serious!

'Strictly Personal' may well be my favourite Beefheart allthough I've a soft spot for 'Trout Mask Replica.' I really like 'Bongo Fury' too.

I'll let you know my MMJ feelings tomorow.

Cheers.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

They were compared to 13th Floor Elevators on a review I saw, so I thought I'd ask. Didn't need to in the end, as I found some stuff on You Tube, and I have to say, I was seriously underwhelmed.

Money saved. :)

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
So far today:

Tyrannosaurus Rex-;My People Were Fair...' Utterly beautiful. Don't care what anybody else thinks. Ha!

Tyrannosaurus Rex-;Prophets, Seers And Sages...' Ditto.

The Mothers Of Invention-'We're Only In It For The Money'

Who you calling a hippy, John?

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Jim-W said:
So far today:

Tyrannosaurus Rex-;My People Were Fair...' Utterly beautiful. Don't care what anybody else thinks. Ha!

Tyrannosaurus Rex-;Prophets, Seers And Sages...' Ditto.

The Mothers Of Invention-'We're Only In It For The Money'

Who you calling a hippy, John?

T Rex. A funny thing, I'd always disliked them...but yet ;)

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi Jim,

Yes, Bongo Fury for me too. Alongside the legal and boot versions of Shiny Beast/Bat Chain Puller.

Good luck with MMJ. The defining voices of my long listening life are, in no partilcular order, Bob, Moz, The Wilsons and Jim James. I forgot to throw in The Allman Brothers and Lynard Skynard too in the stew of influences. I think MMJ transcend them all. Honestly!

I'll be interested in your initial response/comments.

Listening to the epic double LP sprawl of:

Evil Urges - MMJ

TRENDING THREADS