What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 158 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Can't recommend this enough if you like funky hammond and ska. Awesome album.

KeyboardKing.jpg

GardenSounds

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

KeyboardKing.jpg

Yes! Amazing stuff... The 1st LP I bought this millennium as it happens. Oboe is one of my faves. So much wicked stuff on here!

Soul Jazz/Universal Sound is just one of the greatest reissue labels ever, basically!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

GardenSounds said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

KeyboardKing.jpg

Yes! Amazing stuff... The 1st LP I bought this millennium as it happens. Oboe is one of my faves. So much wicked stuff on here!

Soul Jazz/Universal Sound is just one of the greatest reissue labels ever, basically!

I love Jackie Mittoo, but he's no Ernie Rabbituft. (You know I'm going to do that joke every time don't you :grin:)

Heard a few tracks on Robert Elms's show on GLR when it was first issued by Soul Jazz; had to buy it.

Love it all, just an amazing album, but I can listen to Juice Box over and over and over and over.............................

And you're right about Soul Jazz being a great reissue label, I should buy more, as the vinyl is always great.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Full of really high energy soul, and a live version of the title track which was only put on there to sell it.

Didn't realise what a great singer he was, and he's most definitely a soul singer.

Pick this up if you ever see it at a charity shop, it's a great little comp.

little_richard-good_golly_miss_molly.jpg

GardenSounds

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
And you're right about Soul Jazz being a great reissue label, I should buy more, as the vinyl is always great.

Speaking of Soul Jazz:

P01923.jpg

First Universal Sound release I bought aged 16... Sweet underground Detroit Jazz. Check Moves and Space Odyssey.

23507514.jpg

Wicked early Soul Jazz series London Jazz Classics 1-3! All sorts of Brazilian, fusion, jazz funk etc. None is from London.

bowden-time-capsule.jpg

Nice new release (at the time!) UK jazz LP from Chris Bowden. Did a great album for Ninja Tune later called Slightly Askew.

swpugm.jpg
623165.jpg

NuYorica 1 & 2... Seminal NY latin comps... Covers Jazz, Salsa Dura, disco, latin funk etc. Essential.

russell-arthur-750-l.jpg

...the World of Arthur Russell... Dip a toe in, get hooked for life.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Some of that stuff looks great. When I lived in London, I used to love going down the Berwick Street area to Selectadisc, Sounds Of The Universe, and Mr Bongo amongst others. I'm pretty sure Sounds Of The Universe is still down there, but not in the same place.

I also used to go to the 100% Dynamite club nights sometimes, a great night of skanking and drinking.

I think I'll be spending money on some of those albums next year. I like comps, but I've got so many funk/soul comps that I'm a little reluctant to buy any more (of any style). Saying that, I've always been tempted by the Nu Yorica albums.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

It's an incredibly dull album, can't see me playing it again in a hurry.

Pink-Floyd-Wish-You-Were-Here-Sleeve1.jpeg

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

It's an incredibly dull album, can't see me playing it again in a hurry.

Pink-Floyd-Wish-You-Were-Here-Sleeve1.jpeg

BBB Can see where your coming from! I do actually like it, but not so much to pay the inflated price of the vinyl - so ceedee it is for me

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Pink Floyd - Ummagumma

Just the live record, not the other one. It's a lot more interesting than WYWH, a bit self indulgent, but I don't mind that when there are some interesting noises being made.

pink-floyd-ummagumma-cover.jpg

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
paulhh1967 said:
At the moment DM- Speak & Spell. Photographic is still one of my favourite DM songs.

Bright Lights........Dark Room

I have completed my DM collection now - just needed Black Celebration - it has not dissapointed

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Peter Gabriel 'So', notable; side one, track 3, 'Don't give up', super base line especially the last minute.

Simply Red, 'Picture Book', notable; side one, track 2, 'Sad old Red'.

Sandy Nelson, 'The Very Best of', simply some grate recording from the 60's.

Graham Barber, at the keyboard of the 'Ahrend pipe organ in Reid Concert Hall, University of Edinburgh, simply, the power!!!

The more I fiddle and fine tune, the more I get from my system, pure power, base extension and focus . . .
CJSF

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
CJSF said:
Peter Gabriel 'So', notable; side one, track 3, 'Don't give up', super base line especially the last minute. Simply Red, 'Picture Book', notable; side one, track 2, 'Sad old Red'. Sandy Nelson, 'The Very Best of', simply some grate recording from the 60's. Graham Barber, at the keyboard of the 'Ahrend pipe organ in Reid Concert Hall, University of Edinburgh, simply, the power!!! The more I fiddle and fine tune, the more I get from my system, pure power, base extension and focus . . . CJSF

Good good for you!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Pink_floyd_-_dark_side_of_the_moon.jpg

A lot (and I do mean a lot) more interesting than WYWH.

Haven't heard a crackle yet, and it cost me 49p from a charity shop.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

stevebrock said:
Show off

49p blinkin bargain - was it a recent purchase?

A few years ago I think Steve, and there were a few pops and crackles on side 2, but only a few.

I'm pretty sure I had a quadrophonic copy of it at some point, but it must have got sold. I also had The Wall and Meddle, but they've gone too. :?

I'm playing a classic now.

beatles-revolver.jpg

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

stevebrock said:
Talk Talk - Its My Life

To quote Father Dougal McGuire after Ted play an out of tune A minor on his guitar, " I like that"

tumblr_kxivzuVwOp1qzoyv5o1_500.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts