What to Buy

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All

Any advise on my planned purchases would be grateful. This would only be for watching movies.

Im think of buying a Yamaha amp. Either the Yamaha DSP-AX863SE or the Yamaha DSP-AX763.

Then for speakers I was thinking between Kef KHT1005.2 or KEF KHT2005.3 or KEF KHT3005SE.

I probably couldnt afford the top end of each the amp and speakers, so I was wondering should I go for the higher end amp with cheaper spaekers or vice versa. Also Im wondering if the amp is good enough for the speakers and vice versa. And lastly am I looking at the wrong range, are there other makes and brands in the same price range that I should consider.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
If its only for Movies then I would suggest the cheaper 763 and the 3005 SE's, what is your budget? dont forget to allow for cabling and terminations etc.

A

Anonymous

My budget is about 1100 maybe slightly more if need be.

In regards cabeling, I have HDMI cables already. The length are about 1.5m so im thinking I dont need expensive leads. What else would I need ?

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Sevenoaks currently have the 1909 with the 2005.3 for £949 which would alllow you £150 for cabling.

Richer sounds have the Yamaha 763 for £289.95 and you can get the KEF 3005se's for aroiund £900 which would be around your budget excluding cabling.

You will need to buy 5 lengths of speaker cable (around £5 / meter) typicaly Chord Carnival Silverscreen or QED Siler Anniversary and for ease (but not necessary) 10 banana plugs to go on the amp end of the speaker cable. Also a sub lead will also be required (about £40 for a 5m one).

Think about where and how you are going to mount the eggs as they come with a small flat stand which will sit on a cabinet / tv stand etc or can be mounted to the wall. If you want there are also some lovely speaker stands for the eggs but they are quite expensive so may be an upgrade idea later.

TBH I auditioned both speaker sets and decided that for the small amount extra the better speakers were the way ahead. They can be and hopefully will be driven by a much more expensive amp (eventually). So a sound investment.

Good luck any more questions feel free to ask, will try to answer.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
I personally wouldn't spend that much on cabling. The Van Damme Blue range would be more than enough for the speaker cable. Alternatively take a look at the Belden stuff that Mark Grant sells. For the subwoofer cable, try this I can vouch for MG's cables, I use a few in my system and the build quality is second-to-none and are all tested etc. You will probably have seen his add in the magazine. Profigold and Van Damme also make good quality sub cables that are around £25, which is more than enough to spend. See audiovisualonline.co.uk

TRENDING THREADS