What stereo amps have XLR Balanced connectors?

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Great,i would think a yamaha stereo amp would work well with my yamaha avr,but after a quick search its well out of my price range(havn't a budget but looking for cheap!) :cry:

Also considering the speakers i have would that leval of amp be overkill?

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the examples,i'm toying with bi-amping my R100's,also using the XLR connectors on my oppo for stereo playback.From what i have read i need a similar sounding amp to my avr(yam/denon i guess)

Not got a hope in hell's chance of the mrs ok'ing another £1000+ addition to my system....

But cheers anyways :cheers:

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
GSB said:
Great,i would think a yamaha stereo amp would work well with my yamaha avr,but after a quick search its well out of my price range(havn't a budget but looking for cheap!) :cry:

There is a AS2000 for sale on e**y if your budget is accomodating.

John Duncan

Primare A30.1 (one of my favourite amps), last one went on eBay for £575. Cambridge 850 definitely had them, 750 might have, can't find the specs...

Apologies, I actually meant 740, but it doesn't have them.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
alchemist 1 said:
GSB said:

There is a AS2000 for sale on e**y if your budget is accomodating.
Didn't see any..will look again.

just sold an old marantz avr so funds creeping up:)

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
My old Lyngdorf SDAI 2175 had them. They come up 2nd hand every now and then for reasonable money. I sold mine for £600.

I still miss it for some reason.

daveh75

GSB said:
Thanks for the examples,i'm toying with bi-amping my R100's,also using the XLR connectors on my oppo for stereo

If your running 5.1, just use the unused surround channels to bi-amp your fronts ( most AVRs allow you to re-assign the rear channels to front duties for that very purpose) before you go wasting money on a stereo amp.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
daveh75 said:
GSB said:
Thanks for the examples,i'm toying with bi-amping my R100's,also using the XLR connectors on my oppo for stereo

If your running 5.1, just use the unused surround channels to bi-amp your fronts ( most AVRs allow you to re-assign the rear channels to front duties for that very purpose) before you go wasting money on a stereo amp.
Iv'e been advised not to as it would be of very little benefit,but a seperate amp would be of benefit,also would like to use the XLR for stereo music.

daveh75

It will be of little benefit either way IME. Same for XLR, unless you have golden ears or are using long I/Cs..

But using the rear channels to bi-amp is a free or very cheap (just the cost of the speaker cable if you don't have any spare) experiment you can try for yourself.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes i will try bi-amping using my avr.The advice was given by a very trustworthy source,hence my search for a stereo amp with xlr.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I've found few dealers stocking XLR leads but the good news is that balanced cables need not be expensive - quite the opposite. They seem to cost between £2 to £10 then from £350 - £2500 with little in the middle! Most audio pros would fall about laughing if someone tried to sell them a "top-end" XLR. Bought my 0.5m pair off Amazon for ~£10 delivered.

Chaloff

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
GSB said:
Iv'e tried an internet search but not much has turned up,any examples of makes, models & price?

Hi GSB,

We in Russia have a web service where you can choose a required option of a specific group of goods. I've gone for integrated amps, chose xlr inputs (1 and more) and adjusted prices from lowest to highest. Totally the service showed 91 models which are sold in Moscow at the moment. This list is about 90% correct, as from time to time, when placing info about goods, they forget to include this or that feature. Yamaha a-s2000 is at the very beginning of the list which proves busb's words that xlr connectors are mostly found in expensive equipment.

Sorry it is in Russian only. But at least you would have this list of amps. Prices are in Rubles (in bold figures). Cross rate RUR-GBP is appr. 47. But please note that in Russia majour hifi equipment is more expensive than in Europe. Mostly 10% - 30% higher. Sometimes not, sometimes twice higher :)

http://market.yandex.ru/guru.xml?CMD=-RR=0,0,0,0-PF=2142583761~EQ~sel~x1952142040-PF=2142583689~EQ~uni~5-PF=2142583689~EQ~uni~4-PF=2142583689~EQ~uni~2-PF=2142583689~EQ~uni~1-VIS=78-CAT_ID=1018899-EXC=1-PG=10&hid=90554&filter=&num=&greed_mode=false

I know most of them do not fit your budget, but at least you now have all these models and it can probably be useful if you go for second-hand market.

Hope I could help you.

By the way Yamaha as2000 is my dream, but also too expensive for me. So I am having a dilemma between as1000 and as2000. One of the differences between them is xlr inputs. Can you advise why you are looking for xlrs. How actually do they influence the sound?

Thanks,

Andrew

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
LOL...i can only tell you that they are a better conection as opposed to rca.....best bet is to post your question on a new thread for the geeks(experts)to advise... i was considering the yamaha,but its massive :shifty:

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Chaloff said:
GSB said:
Iv'e tried an internet search but not much has turned up,any examples of makes, models & price?

Hi GSB,

We in Russia have a web service where you can choose a required option of a specific group of goods. I've gone for integrated amps, chose xlr inputs (1 and more) and adjusted prices from lowest to highest. Totally the service showed 91 models which are sold in Moscow at the moment. This list is about 90% correct, as from time to time, when placing info about goods, they forget to include this or that feature. Yamaha a-s2000 is at the very beginning of the list which proves busb's words that xlr connectors are mostly found in expensive equipment.

Sorry it is in Russian only. But at least you would have this list of amps. Prices are in Rubles (in bold figures). Cross rate RUR-GBP is appr. 47. But please note that in Russia majour hifi equipment is more expensive than in Europe. Mostly 10% - 30% higher. Sometimes not, sometimes twice higher :)

http://market.yandex.ru/guru.xml?CMD=-RR=0,0,0,0-PF=2142583761~EQ~sel~x1952142040-PF=2142583689~EQ~uni~5-PF=2142583689~EQ~uni~4-PF=2142583689~EQ~uni~2-PF=2142583689~EQ~uni~1-VIS=78-CAT_ID=1018899-EXC=1-PG=10&hid=90554&filter=&num=&greed_mode=false

I know most of them do not fit your budget, but at least you now have all these models and it can probably be useful if you go for second-hand market.

Hope I could help you.

By the way Yamaha as2000 is my dream, but also too expensive for me. So I am having a dilemma between as1000 and as2000. One of the differences between them is xlr inputs. Can you advise why you are looking for xlrs. How actually do they influence the sound?

Thanks,

Andrew There is more space around the instruments and singers have increased clarity.

Go to techradar for in depth review of the Yamaha as2000 and cd2000 player.

Stupendous build quality, the amp alone weighs 23 kgs.................:)

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Having no knoledge of what i'm after(power or integrated),i have,reasoned that an integrated amp would fit my needs...now question is which one? :shifty:

Chaloff said:

XLRs are a studio standard where very long cable runs are the norm (10 metres plus). They are less susceptible to hum and noise. In domestic gear they measure fractionally better (typically) but many would say make no practical difference. Obviously you need a source with a balanced output too, otherwise there is no benefit.

IMO it is not is deciding factor, just nice if you have it. For example, my CD to Amp is balanced and everything else (tape, tuner, turntable and streamer) is unbalanced - meaning they use conventional RCA phono plugs.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
nopiano said:
XLRs are a studio standard where very long cable runs are the norm (10 metres plus). They are less susceptible to hum and noise. In domestic gear they measure fractionally better (typically) but many would say make no practical difference. Obviously you need a source with a balanced output too, otherwise there is no benefit.

IMO it is not is deciding factor, just nice if you have it. For example, my CD to Amp is balanced and everything else (tape, tuner, turntable and streamer) is unbalanced - meaning they use conventional RCA phono plugs.

No reason for balanced to measure any better. Arguably since it has to go through more steps (single ended to balanced, balanced back to single ended) it could measure slightly worse than an unbalanced link over short distances.

No argument about long runs though. Signal level is much higher than single ended (unbalanced) and the balancing gets rid of any common mode interference. My power amp is about 4M from my processor. I use balanced links with no noticable hum or interference and the signal leads run quite close to mains cables for part of the run.

Chaloff

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
nopiano said:
IMO it is not is deciding factor, just nice if you have it.

Nopiano, thank you for a very good explanation. I feel I can trust you and not to dive deeper. For my setup xlrs are useless.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts