What stereo amps have XLR Balanced connectors?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Nopiano if you were adding an intergrated amp to an oppo105,would you look for one with balanced xlr's,or would it not be a consideration? :)

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
nopiano said:
Chaloff said:
By the way Yamaha as2000 is my dream, but also too expensive for me. So I am having a dilemma between as1000 and as2000. One of the differences between them is xlr inputs. Can you advise why you are looking for xlrs. How actually do they influence the sound?

XLRs are a studio standard where very long cable runs are the norm (10 metres plus). They are less susceptible to hum and noise. In domestic gear they measure fractionally better (typically) but many would say make no practical difference. Obviously you need a source with a balanced output too, otherwise there is no benefit.

IMO it is not is deciding factor, just nice if you have it. For example, my CD to Amp is balanced and everything else (tape, tuner, turntable and streamer) is unbalanced - meaning they use conventional RCA phono plugs.

+1

Really, don't bother. For live gigs where you have 50m or 100m cable runs they are essential, but at home - just another way of taking money from people that don't know any better. Also, at concerts, in theatres and in studios, the noise boys use bog standard cable - nothing fancy whatsoever.

GSB said:
Nopiano if you were adding an intergrated amp to an oppo105,would you look for one with balanced xlr's,or would it not be a consideration? :)

As you know, I currently have one set of balanced inputs on my Krell amp. If I had an Oppo (I wish!) it would replace my Krell CDP, so I'd probably use the XLR connection.

But if the Krell died and I chose (say) a Naim or Audio Research or Devialet (my dream amp) it wouldn't be because of a balanced option. I think hifi companies use it to imply a bit of pro/studio cred, but it isn't really necessary. Think of it as an unecessary luxury, like diamonds on a Rolex! :)

Reggie Mental

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Balanced connections don't mean better sound quality and are pointless on something like a CD player. They were designed to cancel out hum and noise on long runs of microphone cable. Ironically he one place where they would work well in on the turntable input but that is where they are seldom used.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
All Electrocompaniet equipment is fully balanced from input to output , it was specifically designed to be connected using balanced interconnects so it is sounds far better connected this way .

Some equipment has balanced XLR connections but they are converted to single ended internally because they do not have fully balanced circuitry inside . In this case using XLR interconnects will sound exactly the same as single ended and will be of no advantage at all .

Balanced XLR interconnects are usually cheaper than single ended RCA cables :) .

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes i can understand what you say...ironi is that i'm thinking of a primera i30/32 which has them... :rofl: & now i don't want them :twisted:

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
My M-DAC has XLR balanced outputs as well as RCAs. My Primare power amp has both types of input connectors. Both DAC & amp are genuinely balanced right up to the amp's output stage. I originally used a pair of Chord Chameleon Plus 0.5m RCAs because my previous amp had RCAs only.

I had guests around last Christmas day evening & played music through my new amp. After an hour, I swapped over to a pair of cheap Amazon-sourced 0.5m XLR leads then went off to make tea of everyone. I could hear the others exclaming their approval. I told them what I'd changed. The XLRs were a sixth of the price. Their view was better clarity, imaging etc. I merely pass on the experience of others with my own system. I'm aware the difference over such a short distance should be non-existent. The designer of the M-DAC stated it might be down to better noise cancellation but he didn't seem surprised it sounded better.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunatley primare do not have an av bypass.I need(can't afford 2 systems) to intergrate the new amp into an avr system

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
busb, just out of interest, when you swapped from RCA to XLR connections, did you make any adjustments to the volume control on your Primare? Or did you leave it at the same volume control setting for both?

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
I am using my Primare A30.1 with my AV system without any problem. Just connect via pre-outs and set the volume level on the stereo amp before doing the auto set-up. Don't be deterred - the Primare is superb (an EBay triumph). It's the last model of A30.1 and, according to reviews, sounds more or less the same as an i30, but much cheaper.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Could you talk me through the process,is there a button you press when you stop music and want to put a film on? :oops:

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
lindsayt said:
busb, just out of interest, when you swapped from RCA to XLR connections, did you make any adjustments to the volume control on your Primare? Or did you leave it at the same volume control setting for both?

As far as I can remember, I switched off both the power amp & M-DAC, swapped the cables, switched the amp to balanced mode, switched both back on, resumed play then left the room. I cannot comment if the levels will be the same between the two modes but the volume on the DAC wasn't changed. Two of the friends present are returning tomorrow with the short pair of Chord RCAs so we could repeat the exercise.

I'm fairly sceptical of such changes myself so will report back. I tend to want to hear a noticeable difference, not a very marginal one before I say I heard any at all.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
I use the CD input for CD, AU for streaming Spotify via a DAC and the TU (tuner) input for TV and films. I set the volume to 60 for the latter, higher than for music, but the auto set-up didn't work when it was lower. My Harmony One simplifies matters, but it isn't infallible with the Primare. Overall, it's very simple and the results are well worth it.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Sorreltiger said:
I use the CD input for CD, AU for streaming Spotify via a DAC and the TU (tuner) input for TV and films. I set the volume to 60 for the latter, higher than for music, but the auto set-up didn't work when it was lower. My Harmony One simplifies matters, but it isn't infallible with the Primare. Overall, it's very simple and the results are well worth it.
Thanks for your time:)

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
No problem. Worth saying that the Primare defaults to 50 volume when you change input - loud for music in my room, but it means that when the kids switch on the system for TV, they can't do any damage. I turn it up to 60, but they don't bother :)

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm nearly in a position to arrange demo's for an integrated amp...the list so far is:

Naim Nait XS

Music Fidelity M3i

Roksan Kandy K2(but it looks a pig!)

The Primare keeps being recommended so if i get the chance i would love to look into this,but new they are too expensive for me,plus my stereo bookshelves were only £600...

Also,would it be ok to stand either of the amps on top of my avr...or do they need more space?

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
When changing from unbalanced RCA to balanced XLR connections you can expect a 3db increase in the volume if you keep the volume knob in the same position. So it's possible busb that some of the improvements reported in your test were due to the louder volume with the XLR connection.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
lindsayt said:
When changing from unbalanced RCA to balanced XLR connections you can expect a 3db increase in the volume if you keep the volume knob in the same position. So it's possible busb that some of the improvements reported in your test were due to the louder volume with the XLR connection.

Hi Lindsay

We did indeed experiment & as expected, there was a ~3dB decrease when swapping to the RCA cables. It was a fairly easy task to shift 3dB on the M-DACs volume. We started off with Coyote on Joni Michell Hejira. We both agreed that the difference was too small to call. Dave remembered what we played on Christmas day so we listened to Snatam Kaur's album Anand that's a 1st rate recording that includes her vocals, some backing, wind instruments & tablas - all unamplified. We tended to just listen without conferring. At first we weren't sure so swapped the cables a couple of times. We both concluded there was a worthwhile difference, not huge, not day & night or anything like that but most non-tonal differences are nearly always subtle. The XLRs gave greater instrument separation - better sense of location, of soundstage if you will. Dave added that the vocals came forward slightly. So a small but discernable difference. Both cables sounded absolutely fabulous. My system is extremely revealing so takes no prisoners whatsoever when it comes to poor recordings & does not round off the upper registers.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that busb. Balanced XLR connections do generally seem to give a nice little upgrade in systems where both RCA and XLR are available.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts