what preamp or av receiver

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

Ive recently purchased a NAD M25 7 channel power amp & am currently using an old denon 3801 as the preamp. Im looking to update this ASAP to a preamp or AV receiver that decodes all the latest formats but thats also good with stereo. Has anyone got any ideas on what might suit?

thanks

David

A

Anonymous

thanks very much Andrew. I'll only be using 5 speakers so do you know if it allows bi-amping or bridging so I can use the last 2 channels of my poweramp?

Thanks...I'll look forward to the review

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
You can certainly biamp, by using splitters to feed the main L/R outputs to two channels of your power amp. Bridging would be down to the power amp itself, and AFAIK the NAD amp doesn't allow this.

A

Anonymous

Thanks again Andrew. Can you get these splitters at any audio shop or do I need to look out for particular types?

And last question....Ive been checking out the audiolab you mentioned tonight on the net & a few forums also mention the Integra DTC 9.8 & nad t175. Do you know anything about these ones & how they might compare to the audiolab??

Thanks

Dave

kungula

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
The new Audiolab 8000AP looks like it has potential in this area - we should be testing it soon in the magazine.

[/quote]

looks to be very intersting to me. I regret it that these preamps at reasonable prices have almost disappeared in the market .
Thank you Audiolab and Andrew of course !

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="dave75"]
Thanks again Andrew. Can you get these splitters at any audio shop or do I need to look out for particular types?

[/quote]

Yes, any decent audio retailer should be able to supply them, or you can find them at accessory suppliers such as Maplin or Keene Electronics. Basically an adapter with one phono plug on one end and two sockets on the other.

[quote user="dave75"]

A few forums also mention the
Integra DTC 9.8 & nad t175. Do you know anything about these ones
& how they might compare to the audiolab??

[/quote]

AFAIK the NAD doesn't do the HD audio formats, and the Integra isn't available here in the UK. And as I haven't heard any of the three - these or the 8000AP - I really can't offer any judgment. I'm simply basing the suggestion on good experiences with the 8000AV and the older TAG McLaren Audio products on which it's based.

biggus_1961

Nov 24, 2007
Visit site
Did you not try the matching Nad M15 surround pre-amp or did you not like it..Nad do two pre-amps, the T175 and M15 but the price difference between is LARGE yet i notice the price difference between the T975 power amp and M 25 power amp is quite small. i think that is a little odd..

A

Anonymous

Hi Biggus,

I liked the NAD M15 a lot but unfortunately it doesnt decode the latest Digital formats & I want to future proof as much as possible given I'll be using it for stereo & home theatre. In Australia the t975 is about $1500 australian less than the M25. Im really happy with the M25 but need a good pre-amp to go with it.

Dave

kungula

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
hi Dave 75,
so what do you think about Andrew' s recommendation
Audialab 8000 AP ?
I am not sure though if it has all the latest Digital formats that you 'd like to have.
Rgds

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The Audiolab 8000AP will handle up to eight channels of hi-res Linear PCM via HDMI, giving it compatibility with the high-definition audio formats using a player with a suitable onboard decoder.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Kungula & Andrew,

Ideally i'd love for NAD to update the M15 with the HDMI options & latest decoders but the Audiolab 8000AP looks really promising....cant wait for the review.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts