Question What makes you reach for the records?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
My listening habits seem to ebb and flow with the weather, and countless other influences, but I rarely find myself in the mood to spin a few records instead of CDs.
I don’t stream, but I watch live music via YouTube. It’s quite good for watching pro-shot gigs of favourite bands.
Today became a day to put a record on, because the album I wanted to listen to is one I only have on the black stuff. So, it’s given me an appetite to listen to a few more this evening.
What makes you reach for the records?
Mood? Preference? Choice?
I’ve certainly got to be in the right mood too, which this evening, I definitely am.

mrob

Mar 7, 2023
Visit site
There often is a difference, as vinyl sometimes has higher dynamic range than the corresponding CD. Oddly enough new masterings on CD of old recordings often have worse sound quality.

https://dr.loudness-war.info/

One has to be careful not to shout someone down when they claim vinyl is better, as many factors are at work.

I agree, maybe I express myself wrong. I have heard some cases where CD sound better than their Vinyl counterpart, but in most cases I prefer what I get out of vinyl. It could be due to the fact my turntable is very good compared to my CD player; or just because of emotional attachment to vinyl listening 🤔

... Or just because it IS better.

Concerning keeping and not listening, I guess this is all about collecting for the sake of collecting vs own to enjoy!

My main goal is listening and enjoying, so they all play.

mrob

Mar 7, 2023
Visit site
Every once in a while, while streaming from Qobuz, highest streaming quality I can now get, it will play something I have on vinyl.

When it happens, I usually feel the need to replay back and forth vinyl and Qobuz... So far, I never felt Qobuz to be up to par with the vinyl sound - to my ear.

My guess - the streaming version is just "too perfect", in a way that I feel like losing some nuance, which are probably caused by the imperfections of the vinyl.

So I end up enjoying the full vinyl and more 🙃

That's when I reach out for them.

Santa 🧑🎄

Mar 12, 2023
Visit site
I've only recently got into records, having focused on my digital front end and slowly upgrading that. I've bought myself a (fairly humble) little record spinner and am slowly accumulating a record collection of my favourite albums. I'm up to about 40 records now. I love the ceremony of putting them on, plus I listen to the whole album rather than change to the next whatever. I now listen to my records regularly and look forward to the few new ones I order each month.20230529_194249.jpg

It doesn't yet match the SQ of my digital front end, but I'm very happy with it. It's different, but sounds great nevertheless.

System is:

Rebuilt Walker CJ55 deck, Origin Live motor kit, Silvernote Saturn arm, AT VM95ML cart, Origin Live Cartridge Enabler, Achromat and all output to a Lounge Audio LCR MKIII which has Firebottle mods on it.

Very unconventional, but it sounds great.

Last edited:
I've only recently got into records, having focused on my digital front end and slowly upgrading that. I've bought myself a (fairly humble) little record spinner and am slowly accumulating a record collection of my favourite albums. I'm up to about 40 records now. I love the ceremony of putting them on, plus I listen to the whole album rather than change to the next whatever. I now listen to my records regularly and look forward to the few new ones I order each month.View attachment 4746

It doesn't yet match the SQ of my digital front end, but I'm very happy with it. It's different, but sounds great nevertheless.

System is:

Rebuilt Walker CJ55 deck, Origin Live motor kit, Silvernote Saturn arm, AT VM95ML cart, Origin Live Cartridge Enabler, Achromat and all output to a Lounge Audio LCR MKIII which has Firebottle mods on it.

Love the look of your turntable - that really is up my alley (ooh err missus)😋

clemencecc

May 29, 2023
Visit site
Every once in a while, while streaming from Qobuz, highest streaming quality I can now get, it will play something I have on vinyl.

When it happens, I usually feel the need to replay back and forth vinyl and Qobuz... So far, I never felt Qobuz to be up to par with the vinyl sound - to my ear.

My guess - the streaming version is just "too perfect", in a way that I feel like losing some nuance, which are probably caused by the imperfections of the vinyl.

So I end up enjoying the full vinyl and more 🙃

That's when I reach out for them.

Hi, new aboard :)
I must point smth.

To your ears, Qobuz may not sound as good as the vinyl because you feel that the streaming version is "too perfect" and lacks some of the nuances present in the vinyl format. This could be due to the imperfections that are inherent to vinyl, which you find contribute to a more enjoyable listening experience.

I hope this clarification addresses your statement accurately)

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
I've only recently got into records, having focused on my digital front end and slowly upgrading that. I've bought myself a (fairly humble) little record spinner and am slowly accumulating a record collection of my favourite albums. I'm up to about 40 records now. I love the ceremony of putting them on, plus I listen to the whole album rather than change to the next whatever. I now listen to my records regularly and look forward to the few new ones I order each month.View attachment 4746

System is:

You might think about sharing that here too:

Looks great.

Sadly the Missus is off to a conference for a few days, next week. Means I'll be forced to sit down of an evening and dig out some vinyl putting my feet up with, perhaps, a little libation. Life can be cruel!
I feel sure you will take it like a man and endure it... :)
Careful with the libation as it can be costly. Trashed a very nice Zyx cartridge once after too much red....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts