What is Santa bringing you this year??

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
BigColz said:
I'm not sure i'll be able to get a demo of it and I can get the PI2 for £1300 ex demo.. One review says it has a bright presentation which puts me off straight away.. I know this is someones opinion but did put me off. Plus PI2 is more powerfull which generally gives a beefier sound which is what i'm after. If I can get a demoI will but tempted to just buy the PI2 as it's ready to go and can enjoy it over christmas :cheers:

That's a good price and unless the ECI-3 can be bought at a similar price, it's not worth worrying about.

FWIW. I don't understand the "bright" comment in a review, as imo. if anything the ECI-3 has a slightly dark treble...it's the P series that has a (very) slightly more modern upfront presentation. If Electro spots this, he is better placed to comment.

Yeah to be honest I don't think there's going to be much in it and at that price it's going to be hard to beat as they're both £1925 now.. I was very happy with the sound it suits me perfectly.. Then to try speakers next year. It still sounds very nice with the ProAc's, with the toned down treble it eliminates the hissy high end I got with the Cyrus.. Can't wait till the weekend now! :rockout: :cheers:

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Wasn't this supposed to be about what you are all getting for Christmas rather than the relative merits of Electrocompaniet components?

I must admit I am also - like BenLaw in an earlier post - suprised at how much your loved ones are all spending out on things like Spendor A3s, Naim Unitis, Cyrus, Dynaudio, B&W CM1s, Electrocompaniets etc. for presents.

It's all a bit rich for me i'm afraid :)

See BenLaw's post for what is nearer our typical budget per person. I'm getting some CDs, some Blu-rays, some books, and some chocs. (And i'm looking forward to it.)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
Wasn't this supposed to be about what you are all getting for Christmas rather than the relative merits of Electrocompaniet components?

:oops:

Though in this case, the two are related....and TBF there have been worse diversions than this over the last while! :shifty:

Paul.

I've been pushing hard for Scalectrix, but Hollie thinks I'm too old. I claimed that it was my male broodiness manifesting because I used to play Scalectrix with my Dad when very young, but she saw through that rouse!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Paul. said:
I claimed that it was my male broodiness manifesting because I used to play Scalectrix with my Dad when very young, but she saw through that rouse!

For a few years, the Scalextric factory was located just a few hundred yards from where we lived. My older brother (9 years older) worked there as a trainee production controller when he left school at 15.

You can guess what I got as presents for a couple of my earliest remembered Christmases :)

My brother left them after a couple of years to work at Marconi Space & Defence. Their staff shop/staff discounts didn't include the stuff he now worked on. (Torpedo guidance mechanisms and satellites). Although that would have been cool as well!

Maybe I can play your 'nostalgia card' next year Paul :)

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Sorry just a bit of advice.. Maybe slightly off topic but it's what i'm getting myself (coz I won't get anything else.. wahhhh :cry: ) for christmas :dance: :cheers:

Paul.

chebby said:
For a few years, the Scalextric factory was located just a few hundred yards from where we lived. My older brother (9 years older) worked there as a trainee production controller when he left school at 15.

Havant? I used to work there (in the town, not for Scalextric). Never got around to going to the Scalextric museum though!

Paul.

BenLaw said:
Have you still got the N64 Paul? Get some second hand games for that off eBay, great way to spend the holidays :)

Still got the N64, but can't find a balanced opponent :( My brother thrashes me so hard its no fun, and I defeat Hollie just as easily!

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
i was tempted by the Mario Scalex Trix set for my son..

Just added Beatles Past Masters vinyl to my list and i'll be visiting my local private vinyl seller these evening and will pick up a few albums off him and that be it..

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
I must admit I am also - like BenLaw in an earlier post - suprised at how much your loved ones are all spending out on things like Spendor A3s, Naim Unitis, Cyrus, Dynaudio, B&W CM1s, Electrocompaniets etc. for presents.

I worked like an absolute dog all year and purchased a present for myself. Nothing suprising there.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
hammill said:
Paul. said:
Isn't Leigh Park in Havant? (Borough, rather than Town?)
I thought so - and I went to Wakeford School.

Although it was built and was administered entirely by Portsmouth City Council in those days (rates and rents all to Portsmouth CC).

I went to Wakefords too. (Miss Gregory was head, I was taught sciences by Harry Drew and English by George Jenkins.)

Anyway, I realise this is as OT to the theme of Christmas presents as comparisons between Electrocompaniets so I will stop now. Sorry.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
hammill said:
Paul. said:
Isn't Leigh Park in Havant? (Borough, rather than Town?)
I thought so - and I went to Wakeford School.

Although it was built and was administered entirely by Portsmouth City Council in those days (rates and rents all to Portsmouth CC).

I went to Wakefords too. (Miss Gregory was head, I was taught sciences by Harry Drew and English by George Jenkins.)

Anyway, I realise this is as OT to the theme of Christmas presents as comparisons between Electrocompaniets so I will stop now. Sorry.
Yes she was, so was I for both. Harry Drew was a very fine teacher, His daughter Fiona was in my tutor group.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:

I must admit I am also - like BenLaw in an earlier post - suprised at how much your loved ones are all spending out on things

I just assumed that, like me, everyone is getting these for themselves. In fact, my purchase is only a Christmas gift because my desire to purchase it coincidentally falls around this time of year.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
sogophonio11 said:
some peace of mind!

Just lost my dear ole dad.

Puts it all into prospect!!

Only a pile of boxes, who cares any more.

Merry christmas one and all.

Sorry to hear of your loss mate,fwiw it gets bearable as time goes by.

Wishing you a peacefull new year.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Covenanter said:
It only comes out at Xmas when the kids come and we have a championship.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p5k770u55d02m3y/IMG_3237.JPG

Chris
That looks realy great I bet you guys have a fantastic time merry christmas to you and yours

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
GSB said:
sogophonio11 said:
some peace of mind!

Just lost my dear ole dad.

Puts it all into prospect!!

Only a pile of boxes, who cares any more.

Merry christmas one and all.

Sorry to hear of your loss mate,fwiw it gets bearable as time goes by.

Wishing you a peacefull new year.

i totally agree...though it can make Christmas a tough time of year.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
moon said:
chebby said:

I worked like an absolute dog all year and purchased a present for myself. Nothing suprising there.

+1 here!

I skip two layoffs in my company this year, and I made a promes to my self and Mrs Outlaw, i'm not going to live in fear! :pray:

I'm 41 and haven't bought a new piece of kit since 2005!

Ok, i've bought the BK XLS200 last chrismas... :shifty:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
I'm 41 and haven't bought a new piece of kit since 2005!

Ok, i've bought the BK XLS200 last chrismas... :shifty:

:grin:

Oh, the convoluted workings (and goldfish like memory) of the inner workings of an Audiophile's mind! :shifty:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts