What is Santa bringing you this year??

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Are people buying themselves all these really expensive gifts? (ie the high grade components, not the CDs.) Or is this a normal sort of level of present buying? 50 quid's about my limit, to and from.....!

Got plans for the new year ahead but nout for christmas coming from me, just hoping for a few CD's.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
I'm 41 and haven't bought a new piece of kit since 2005!

Ok, i've bought the BK XLS200 last chrismas... :shifty:

:grin:

Oh, the convoluted workings (and goldfish like memory) of the inner workings of an Audiophile's mind! :shifty:

it's not my folt Cno !!! :shame:

It's Al's ! :twisted:

Audiophile Alzeimer... :grin:

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
shooter said:
moon said:
shooter said:
moon said:
He came early to my house.

What did he bring you moon?

He very kindly brought a pair of Bowers & Wilkins CM1's in gloss black , bless him, although I did have to pay him!

Ooo nice and in gloss black, very nice.

How are they with the Cambridge?

Hi Shooter thanks for the reply.

You know what, they are excellent especially the tweeter. They are a good match for the CA351 and very much enjoying my simple set up. I was however reading on an active speaker forum yesterday that they just coudn't possibly be in the " same league" as a well known active design....... And have loads of distortion compared to Active speakers.

Bass on the CM1's is perfectly controlled and not in the slightest bit " boomy" or " Distorted" but then I've spent time to include lots of soft furnishings in my room and deaden the room.

I am a fan of the active speakers also.... and have very much enjoyed the likes of Quested / Genelec monitors over the years. The thing is there are good designs. both passive and active.

they are a very well made loudspeaker and sound excellent and thats all that matters as its my ears that do the listening.

Have a great christmas, and check out Metric's Synthetica, my album of the month"

moon

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
BigColz said:
I'm not sure i'll be able to get a demo of it and I can get the PI2 for £1300 ex demo.. One review says it has a bright presentation which puts me off straight away.. I know this is someones opinion but did put me off. Plus PI2 is more powerfull which generally gives a beefier sound which is what i'm after. If I can get a demoI will but tempted to just buy the PI2 as it's ready to go and can enjoy it over christmas :cheers:

That's a good price and unless the ECI-3 can be bought at a similar price, it's not worth worrying about.

FWIW. I don't understand the "bright" comment in a review, as imo. if anything the ECI-3 has a slightly dark treble...it's the P series that has a (very) slightly more modern upfront presentation. If Electro spots this, he is better placed to comment.

Just spotted it :grin:

Cno has it about right .

The PI2 and the ECI3 are both very good amps but there is a slight difference is the sound balance .

The ECI3 has a larger current delivery but has less overall power in watts and a darker sound with slightly deeper more powerful bass .

The P12 is a touch lighter and brighter but still has a very powerful and detailed sound and at £1300 I would not hesitate .

So as CNO says unless you can find an ECI3 at a similar price stick to the PI2 :grin:

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Electro said:
CnoEvil said:
BigColz said:
I'm not sure i'll be able to get a demo of it and I can get the PI2 for £1300 ex demo.. One review says it has a bright presentation which puts me off straight away.. I know this is someones opinion but did put me off. Plus PI2 is more powerfull which generally gives a beefier sound which is what i'm after. If I can get a demoI will but tempted to just buy the PI2 as it's ready to go and can enjoy it over christmas :cheers:

That's a good price and unless the ECI-3 can be bought at a similar price, it's not worth worrying about.

FWIW. I don't understand the "bright" comment in a review, as imo. if anything the ECI-3 has a slightly dark treble...it's the P series that has a (very) slightly more modern upfront presentation. If Electro spots this, he is better placed to comment.

Just spotted it :grin:

Cno has it about right .

The PI2 and the ECI3 are both very good amps but there is a slight difference is the sound balance .

The ECI3 has a larger current delivery but has less overall power in watts and a darker sound with slightly deeper more powerful bass .

The P12 is a touch lighter and brighter but still has a very powerful and detailed sound and at £1300 I would not hesitate .

So as CNO says unless you can find an ECI3 at a similar price stick to the PI2 :grin:

Ahh ok.. Wow if the PI2 is lighter and brighter the ECI3 would prob be even more what I'm after.. But to be honest for £1300 like we've said it's a bit of a steal.. Especially as they've now gone upto £1925.. Do kinda wanna hear it now though.. I will prob get a sub too next year so I can totally customise the bass anyway.. I will worry about Doing a biggish step up to similar to your or Cno's in a few years ill be more than happy with this sound for a few years.. Cheers fir tge advice guys :) Don't worry about hijacking either.. its either that or its dead ;)

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
moon said:
shooter said:
moon said:
shooter said:
moon said:
He came early to my house.

What did he bring you moon?

He very kindly brought a pair of Bowers & Wilkins CM1's in gloss black , bless him, although I did have to pay him!

Ooo nice and in gloss black, very nice.

How are they with the Cambridge?

Hi Shooter thanks for the reply.

You know what, they are excellent especially the tweeter. They are a good match for the CA351 and very much enjoying my simple set up. I was however reading on an active speaker forum yesterday that they just coudn't possibly be in the " same league" as a well known active design....... And have loads of distortion compared to Active speakers.

Bass on the CM1's is perfectly controlled and not in the slightest bit " boomy" or " Distorted" but then I've spent time to include lots of soft furnishings in my room and deaden the room.

I am a fan of the active speakers also.... and have very much enjoyed the likes of Quested / Genelec monitors over the years. The thing is there are good designs. both passive and active.

they are a very well made loudspeaker and sound excellent and thats all that matters as its my ears that do the listening.

Have a great christmas, and check out Metric's Synthetica, my album of the month"

moon

Good to see your enjoying your new speakers moon , i've enjoyed passives just as much as actives, always gave me me great enjoyment.

I'll check out Metrics Synthetica, i like to discover new music. Have you got an album of the month thread running?

Thanks for the Christmas message, hope you enjoy yours also. :cheers:

Paul@HiFi-Lounge

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
It wasn't Santa, but UPS, but he had a Rega RP8 under his arm so he was Santa as far as I was concerned :)

Plenty of vinyl listening for me over Christmas.

Have a good one everyone :cheers:

D

Deleted member 2457

New leather bed!
smiley-smile.gif

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Compliment of the season to all. Now back to the toys buying. Am looking at a electrocompaniet amp in the sale.. Had a listen & at last i can say these amps justify the price. :dance:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Compliment of the season to all. Now back to the toys buying. Am looking at a electrocompaniet amp in the sale.. Had a listen & at last i can say these amps justify the price. :dance:

Ah, ya see.....we agree again! :grin: (which one are you looking at?)

Merry Christmas

Cno

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Good old Santa gave me a nose full of snot. As my generosity knows no bounds I'm going to share it around to one and all , well tis the season of giving innit :grin:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
floyd droid said:
Good old Santa gave me a nose full of snot. As my generosity knows no bounds I'm going to share it around to one and all , well tis the season of giving innit :grin:

Berry Critbace :twisted:

Cno

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Native_bon said:

Merry Christmas

Cno

Yer, that's what I want to know and where from?

Hope you're all having a nice day and not suffering the floods.

Mac

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Native_bon said:

Merry Christmas

yes of course. am looking at the ECI 5 MKII.. Goes really well with my Faber's.. So will be looking out for any sale if at all. usually the good stuff are hardly on sale... The sound just had a rightness to it.. I listen to a lot of jazz. acid jazz, soul, & world music.. It seem to just eat up anything in its part with real speed without sounding hard at the same time... Now that is real sound!!

TRENDING THREADS