What Hi*Fi technical reviews

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
I was just wondering what constitutes a technical review. I've always thought technical reviews meant a standard series of tests and measurements, not merely listening tests, which means What Hi*Fi is being slightly misleading in its advertising.

Anyway, it's only a thought for a damp Sunday morning.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
"technical" has several meanings but not all of them relate to science or testing like we may think so this is possibly why What Hifi can use the term.

oh by the way its nice and sunny where I am.

*biggrin*

The magazine features the 'Test Centre' on the Editorial page, and although they've moved premises since my visit, I believe the concept is similar. Several rooms, some dedicated to hifi, others to TV and home cinema, and smaller ones for radios, sound bars, smaller tellies, etc, more like living room size.

All reviews are collaborative, but there's no testing with oscilloscopes or anechoic chambers. The latter is what I'd call technical, the question being how much such data informs the overall findings. (Hi Fi News and Hi Fi World in the U.K., and Stereophile in the USA are some that do perform tests.)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts