What format does DLNA / Allshare send music files to a networked player.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
What format does DLNA / Allshare send music files to a networked player. I have a samsung dual dock, the DA-E750, which I can stream music to using AllShare either from my phone or laptop. My music is in the .WMA format and I am considering re-ripping my cd collection to a lossless format such as FLAC. In all the literature on the DA-E750 it appears it is not able to play FLAC or WAV files. To test this I ripped a couple of tracks to FLAC using Winamp. I then played these tracks from my laptop to the DA-E750 and they played ok, but there was no great increase in sound quality compared to that of the .WMA format. Because of this I am trying to understand how AllShare works. Does AllShare Transcode the files before sending to the DA-E750 so that it is able to play the files and if so is this process lossy. Or does it send the coded file to the DA-E750 for this unit to decode if so why does the unit not say it handles FLAC files and why cant I detect an improvement in sound quality.

abacus

I assume you mean standard WMA not lossless WMA.

To make file sizes smaller WMA like MP3 removes part of the sounds, (The higher the bit rate the less is taken away) and once taken away it cannot be restored, thus converting back to the WAV or FLAC (Lossless) format will still only sound the same as the original WMA file.

Lossless formats (Like FLAC) compress the files but do not take anything away, thus they can be restored to the original format if required. (Just like a ZIP file does with data)

Hope this helps

Bill

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your reply abacus.

I will be re-ripping my cd's to a lossless format. What I am trying to find out though is that when I stream a lossless audio file either to my DA-E750 dock or to a networked amplifier, which I may purchase in the future, does it stay lossless or does transcoding take place so getting no benefit of a lossless format.

To test out what I have stated above I have been having a bit of a play with allshare over the weekend and trying to stream different formats to the DA-E750. As stated in the specs .WMA and .MP3 play ok, and when you look at the 'details' of a particular track you are playing it says the format is either .WMA or .MP3. Formats .WAV and lossless .WMA do not seem to work at all but with regards to the FLAC format, this format does play but when you look at the 'details' of the track when playing it says the format is .TMP. So it does look like allshare does transcode FLAC files to a .TMP file but does not do it for the other lossless formats mentioned.

My next step will be to try and use iTunes.

A

Anonymous

The only info I can find is the bit rate for connecting a usb device which is 80-320kbps for MP3 and 56-128kbps for WMA.

Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts