What does your wife or girlfriend use to listen to music?

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
This isn't intended as being sexist in any way. :)

But expensive hifi equimtment is generally owned by men and I was wondering what equipment your wives/girlfriends use to listen to music? I also wondered why most women care less about sound quality then men?

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
iPod on arcam dr dock through my hifi system. She likes being able to play it at high volumes but is not bothered about sound quality hence all her music is saved as compressed files.

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
steve_1979 said:

But expensive hifi equimtment is generally owned by men and I was wondering what equipment your wives/girlfriends use to listen to music? I also wondered why most women care less about sound quality then men?

Hey... that's unfair....I've been informed that most people who buy AVI kit, are gay!

Oh wait, um, er, maybe I read that somewhere else about B&O buyers...LOL... :grin:

With respect, I think most women are too obsessed about other stuff, to be worried about further trivia in life such as the sound of my cable, or the smoothness of my knobs. *cough* :rofl:

JB (never let it be said I don't have a bent sense of humour..LOL)

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
The same as I do!

The main system in the living room, and in the bedroom.

An she do mind of the quallity of the album, she as I like to listening to vinyl the most.

And like some one have propose before ;) i'll not upgrade her, so, hand off!!!! :grin:

:cheers:

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The CD player on the Marantz (occasionally) and the FM tuner on the Marantz (often).

Ruark Audio R1 in the conservatory (often).

TV/Blu-ray/DVD/iPlayer sounds through Marantz (sometimes).

iPlayer and ITV player and YouTube via iMac (and bedroom PC) with Sennheiser PX100 Mk II headphones or Creative Inspire T10 desk speakers (often).

JMacMan said:
steve_1979 said:

Hey... that's unfair....I've been informed that most people who buy AVI kit are gay!

They are: In fact most hi-fi enthusiasts are very jolly. :grin:

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
JMacMan said:
steve_1979 said:

Hey... that's unfair....I've been informed that most people who buy AVI kit are gay!

They are: In fact most hi-fi enthusiasts are very jolly. :grin:

You've missed a whole evolution of the word 'gay'. Nowadays it just means 'lame' or 'stupid' apparently...

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/off-topic-and-miscellaneous/confused#comment-956235

...although that was 4 years ago. So, by now, it's probably changed again.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Mrs C seems to like to put three walls and a metal fridge between herself and the speakers.

I've tried to understand her approach, but I can't seem to hear anything.

The latest experiment was when she also closed the back door when I put on Bisch Bosch by Scott Walker.

Bizarrely, the record also made sense to me when I stood in the garden ;-)

tifosi20002008

Oct 2, 2008
Visit site
That's an easy one.

The hifi set up especially when she listens to her beloved Beatles lps

her iPod with all tracks in lossless with her grados. She actually owns more music than mme about

200 albums at the last count

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Dont get me started!

On some shitty gear4 ipod dock thing - it sounds truly horrendous especially when its playing all the chart crap she inflicts on me!

God give me strength - I have tried to get her to appreciate music, hifi etc but to no avail!

stuartayling

Jan 11, 2009
Visit site
To answer the question (and ignoring the politics) when putting on a cd the mrs uses the proper Hifi but when watching TV even if its a movie or music based it is generally the TVs very poor quality speakers that output the sound (until I arrive and send it via the Hifi).

In the kitchen the Mrs iPhone is often hooked up to a 1990s sony radio via and apple universal dock and having tried to suggest this was only ever meant to be a temporary measure it is not allowed to be upgraded :(

In the bedroom I managed to seek in a Pure Avanti Flow as it is neat :)

Headphones wise the mrs did request better quality headphones for her use out and about and after her trying Sony xba range, Kliosch X10i and B&Q c5 amongst others she settled upon Bose Mie2.

ABM78

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
My girlfriend used to just listen to music through her iphone speakers sitting on her bed!!!! So I bought her some Aktimate Mini's to plug it in, must say a big improvement.....

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
steve_1979 said:

With a few notable exceptions such as shoes, I consider women to be (marinally) more sensible than men even if the gap is closing. Perhaps women have enough imagination not to need expensive equipment & so are able to enjoy the essence of music without the last word in detail or bass.

Are women into gadgets less than men or just have different gadgets? Are women equally likely to setup email on their phones or access social media from such devices? If my girlfriend wants to watch TV, she'll simply switch it on then turn up its volume from the remote. I would switch on the TV, DAC & amplifier to acheive the same objective! If she wants to listen to music, she will use her iPhone. Men want better whereas women prefer simpler - a generalisation with possibly some mileage.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
My wife will switch on the TV for background noise. I've caught her listening to a CD on my stereo occasionally, but she says she doesn't understand the need for an expensive stereo. She'd have no trouble understanding if I wanted to spend similar amounts of money on a TV.

She was pleased with the Senhheiser ear buds I insisted she replace here Apple ones with.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
She used to just listen through her laptop speakers, but since she got a new Macbook Air she has discovered the joys of Spotify and Airplay through my system. She treat me to an entire Wham album a couple of days ago. Followed by Steps.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
She uses the hi-fi. Mainly via the ATV.

She's becoming something of a pain. She has a fairly large music collection and she won't let me put it on her iPad at 320k (won't fit in lossless). She's been debating buying a 128GB iPad for a while, to fit it all on in 'CD quality'.

Woodchippie

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
My wife wouldn't know how to access music on any of our equiptment, she listed to what I do. Or uses the radio in the car, she can operate that.lol

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Woodchippie said:
My wife wouldn't know how to access music on any of our equiptment, she listed to what I do. Or uses the radio in the car, she can operate that.lol

Just to redress the balance after that last post, I would like to say that my wife is cleverer than I am, works harder and earns more money than I do. :wall:

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Craig M. said:
She used to just listen through her laptop speakers, but since she got a new Macbook Air she has discovered the joys of Spotify and Airplay through my system. She treat me to an entire Wham album a couple of days ago. Followed by Steps.
I am feeling unwell at the thought of wham and even worse at the thought of steps you have my sympathy :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts