What does the Sony BDP 550 decode ?

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
Just to confirm if I connect this Blu-ray player to my old Sony STR-DB940 receiver via the 5.1CH analogue outputs it will send HD audio can someone confirm which formats, am I right in thinking some are only available through HDMI to a newer receiver ? Finally will this player decode 5.1 and Dts with my DVDs.....letting me disconnect my optical cable altogether ?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
lcd4ever:
Just to confirm if I connect this Blu-ray player to my old Sony STR-DB940 receiver via the 5.1CH analogue outputs it will send HD audio can someone confirm which formats, am I right in thinking some are only available through HDMI to a newer receiver ? Finally will this player decode 5.1 and Dts with my DVDs.....letting me disconnect my optical cable altogether ?

It will decode all of them via analogue cables.

A

Anonymous

Yes the sony can decode everthing you shake a stick internally and send via hdmi or analog cables

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
The BDP-S550 has onboard decoding of all the new HD audio formats, including DTS-HD Master Audio, so you should be fine connecting via the analogue outputs to your STR-DB940 receiver.

Strictly speaking you won't need to keep your optical connection, although we have found that sometimes the sound quality of standard DD/DTS DVDs can be marginally better when transmitted via digital cable and using the AV amp to do the decoding (rather than the player), so it might be worth keeping it attached.

TRENDING THREADS