Blu ray Audio Playback

hybridauth_Twitter_4448730495

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
Hi ,

I have a Sony STR- DB 790 receiver , it's getting on in years but it does what I ask of it .

My question is , which players will decode any of the HD audio variants before it's given to the amp ?

Most discs I have playback in the older DTS or Dolby multi - channel soundtracks but I have come across some that default to PCM 2 channel stereo which I assume is because my receiver is not capable of handling HD audio .

I am happy enough with the older 5.1 sound so I will not be upgrading , just wondered which players would deal with the audio so I can get the 5.1 with the old Sony .

Cheers

Dave

his dudeness

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
David Bramwell said:
Hi ,

I have a Sony STR- DB 790 receiver , it's getting on in years but it does what I ask of it .

My question is , which players will decode any of the HD audio variants before it's given to the amp ?

Most discs I have playback in the older DTS or Dolby multi - channel soundtracks but I have come across some that default to PCM 2 channel stereo which I assume is because my receiver is not capable of handling HD audio .

I am happy enough with the older 5.1 sound so I will not be upgrading , just wondered which players would deal with the audio so I can get the 5.1 with the old Sony .

Cheers

Dave
any bdp with a optical or coaxial digital output will give you dolby digital,dts,or rca outputs will give you hd audio as well,not every player has rca multi channel out but heres one.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/blu-ray/panasonic/dmpbdt700/pana-dmpbdt700

matthewricha

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Hi Dave

I have a Sony STR-DB940 and feed it with 5.1 Analogue from my Blu-ray Player which is the BDP-S5000ES. The Player decodes the sound including the HR Lossless formats, DTS-MA and Dolby TrueHD. The Optical feed would pass the Basic DTS and Dolby surround, but not the Lossless audio formats. The sound is fantastic as the Audio outputs on the player are very HQ. I don't know what modern players have this functionality, but I suspect the higher end players. It's interesting that the forthcoming Panasonic 4K Ultra HD player (DMP-UB900) has 7.1 Analogue outputs!

Matt

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts