What do you like to do while listening to your Hi-Fi?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Unfortunately, I haven't yet entered the zen state of purely enjoying listening to great records through my system. Perhaps it's a case of Paradise Syndrome, but I am too fidgety to just sit back and relax while enjoying the music. So, I normally mindlessly scroll through video games or magazines. If anyone else can identify, what do you like to do?

A

Anonymous

I know what you mean about that sweet spot where the music is all encompassing. Since upgrading my speakers I have been lucky to hear good hi-fi, and the feeling on occasion of a private live audition. These occasions are rare due to a busy mind, a busy life and varying quality CD recordings.

I don't know what system you have, but if a step closer to a live performance is an upgrade away, it might be worth researching and heading down to a dealer. I think that there are some systems that even the most optimistic imagination can not make up for a lack of detail, tonal balance and stereo imaging.

When I can't get in to it while listening, I either learn about things on the web, or drink malts and brandies. I am not a connoisseur of the drinks themselves, merely the after effects.

A

Anonymous

It really depends on my activities and mood. Right now for example I am listening to FM and reading this forum. Sometimes when a great song comes on I just stop typing and sit back with my eyes closed and listen.
Other times I live to sit and read while listening to cd's... once again I find myself sitting back with eyes closed and simply enjoy the music.
When really into the music I like to sit back in a the dark and simply listen...

A

Anonymous

My grado's have had a new lease of life recently. Have to keep the noise down at the moment so they are getting used a lot. If I sit and listen I always end up falling asleep so I tend to stand and listen.

I seem to be more focused when standing, or maybe just more awake...regardless I'm enjoying the sound more than ever.

Of course I have a little throat lubrication going on as well....

Terryff

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Can';t beat that throat lubrication for making Everything sound better....

I tend to play video games or read also, modern life says we are being idle when we just sit/stand and listen to music...think we have it wrong somewhere?ÿ

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Terryff:.... modern life says we are being idle when we just sit/stand and listen to music...think we have it wrong somewhere?

No. We have it right.

As a great poet once wrote...

"LEISURE

What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.

No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.

No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare."

Notwithstanding staring at a squirrel's nuts, I cannot find anything disagreeable about taking time to relax.

A

Anonymous

I don't like to do anything whilst listening,so much so that if I try to settle down for an hour or so but find my mind is too busy I will do something else for a while.
I have the luxury of being able to play music at any volume at any time of the day or night(soundproofed room in a detatched house)but my preference is 10.30ish at night when I am usually able to just listen and not think.

A

Anonymous

I try and focus just on the music but the PC gets in the way everytime.

Oh, and cider in copious quantities.........
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

During the daytime I just do whatever I'm doing...but when I get a new album, I have to do it justice by listening to it at about 12 o'clock when everyone is asleep through my headphones. Then my concentration is solely on the music and the results are amazing!!! Block my nose and levitate for full effect.

T

the record spot

Usually just listen, try to pick out detail I might not have noticed before, or sometimes read one of the hifi titles I get in the post, if it's around the time of the month when they're due.

Joe10155

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
Most of the time I will listen to the music or read/flick through some magazines (computer, photographic or WHF etc.).

Depending on the music though, sometimes you just have to get up and move around in an uncoordinated way (I wouldn't dare call it dancing
emotion-10.gif
, not at my age). On rare occaisions if I'm sure that no one else is around and I have some Johnny Winter playing, the air guitar may also make an appearance
emotion-2.gif

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
Does your system sound better if you're doing something else whilst listening to it? That is, you're less likely to be finding faults with the sound.

Although I would also say that if you've put serious effort and money into a good hi-fi system, it seems perverse not to give it your full attention.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Depends who else is there with you? In my youth, much enjoyment was had with my young lady and a Sade backing track. LP s were a pain,as you had to stop whatever you were doing.

John Duncan

philtaylorphoto:Depends who else is there with you? In my youth, much enjoyment was had with my young lady and a Sade backing track. LP s were a pain,as you had to stop whatever you were doing.

Though the average side was 20 minutes long - I don't see the problem?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
philtaylorphoto:Depends who else is there with you? In my youth, much enjoyment was had with my young lady and a Sade backing track. LP s were a pain,as you had to stop whatever you were doing.

stephen_1.jpg
Oh no - you fell into our little obvious answer trap! Minus 20 points...

A

Anonymous

The sofa is against the back wall and the proacs sweet spot is pretty small.

Therefore, when I'm surfing the net, with the laptop on the table, and my head forward, my ears are in the perfect sweet spot!

Otherwise, alcohol and a few friends!

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
I like to just sit back and listen in a darkened room and lose myself in the music,of course if you add a few beers to the mix you can get even further off the beaten track!

Goldsmith

Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
sit in front of the system, take the grills off, admire the speakers, put the grills back again.

occasionally walk out of the house, try to guage the neighbour's discomfort while trying to listen to the bass notes.

try to highlight some hi fi nuances to those who seem oblivious of sound that really excites me.

read what hi fi, and wonder what cyrus cd, roksan, naim and graf amps would sound like.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts