When do you listen to your bundles?

This might seem like a stupid question, but do you make time to sit down and actually listen to the music?

It seems the only time I normally listen to mine is after the family are tucked up in bed. That's my "chill out" zone for an hour. Strange as the hi-fi is used, whether it's CDs, vinyl, Blurays or TV, around 4-5 hours a day.

matthewpianist

I moved in with my partner and her children last year having lived alone for some time. I had got used to listening to music a lot, probably 3-4 hours most evenings, but I've had to work really hard to carve out the 'me' time to do it since I moved.

I now try to get an hour each day, two if I can. I can't pretend it isn't frustrating because it's my favourite thing to do, but it does mean I value the time I do have even more, and I'm more selective about what I listen to. Over time I do need to push the boundaries a little though.

SteveR750

Yes, randomly. Usually when the rest of the family are out, so I can exercise the output stage of my amp properly. Also evenings, with my headphones, especially at the weekends after a few glasses of wine.

Gray

Unless living alone, in a detached house, I don't understand how anyone can play through speakers - at a time of night when others are asleep.

I don't play antisocially loud but, as I've mentioned before, at my normal listening level - no way could (or should) conversation take place in the same room.
Just can't do whisper soft or background level music....honestly, if I was limited to that, I wouldn't own a hi-fi.

matthewpianist

Unless living alone, in a detached house, I don't understand how anyone can play through speakers - at a time of night when others are asleep.

I don't play antisocially loud but, as I've mentioned before, at my normal listening level - no way could (or should) conversation take place in the same room.
Just can't do whisper soft or background level music....honestly, if I was limited to that, I wouldn't own a hi-fi.

I need as much quiet around me as possible, especially as I listen to a lot of classical, jazz and acoustic folk music. I don't use music as background to other activities - I describe that as 'aural wallpaper' and it doesn't do the music or system justice.

We live in a semi-detached it isn't that bad. During the day I can crank it up quite high but we are used to playing at low to normal levels since our daughter was a baby.

When she was in her cot we refused to walk around on top toes otherwise any little outside noise outside, such as people filling the wheelie bin would wake her up. As she's lived with some noise, not too loud, helps her to sleep.

Mrs Ps brother, as soon as his kids go to bed everything's switched off and as a consequence they hate any white noise -- even aircraft wakes them up.

Reactions: Gray

DCarmi

Mrs Ps brother, as soon as his kids go to bed everything's switched off and as a consequence they hate any white noise -- even aircraft wakes them up.
My brother decided that he would continue to play his hifi as loud as he would normally, even after his daughter was born. As a result she finds it difficult to get to sleep without music.

My brother decided that he would continue to play his hifi as loud as he would normally, even after his daughter was born. As a result she finds it difficult to get to sleep without music.
Exactly the same. My daughter sleeps better or nods off quicker with the hi-fi or TV on.

This wasn't us being selfish just there's noise everywhere you go. About 2 months ago the mains water pipe burst down the road, you hear the diesel pump droning off the buildings. That went on most of the night, so I was told.

Now back on topic....

Reactions: DCarmi

DCarmi

Now back on topic....
OK.

When working from home or cooking I usually have music in the background. Because my main system is in the same room as the TV, I usually end upstairs with headphones on, listening to whatever my mood requires.

The dog is often with me when I am working. She seems to prefer romantic period stuff classical i.e. Brahms, Beethoven, Mahler etc (she sleeps). Does not like Genesis or ELO (gets up a leaves), but seems to like the Clash though. Miles Davis Sketches in Spain, she finds particularly disturbing! So her time to listen to a bundle is during the day when I work from home.

OK.

When working from home or cooking I usually have music in the background. Because my main system is in the same room as the TV, I usually end upstairs with headphones on, listening to whatever my mood requires.

The dog is often with me when I am working. She seems to prefer romantic period stuff classical i.e. Brahms, Beethoven, Mahler etc (she sleeps). Does not like Genesis or ELO (gets up a leaves), but seems to like the Clash though. Miles Davis Sketches in Spain, she finds particularly disturbing! So her time to listen to a bundle is during the day when I work from home.
Pretty much the same. Although our kitchen is separate from the living room, it's nice to have background music on.

When Mrs. P's doing the washing up she'll hear a certain track she loves: "Can you turn it up more?"

In my opinion, the hi-fi is a part of the family, as weird as that might sound. We've always been surrounded by music.

WayneKerr

Varies, maybe 2-6 hours a week. If I don't have the time to sit and listen properly then my kit stays off. Better when the neighbour is out as I can crank it up, though she is a little mutton and says she never hears my music anyway. Living alone is great (y)Not a fan of background music... would rather have silence.

Don't like noise when I'm trying to get off to sleep but once asleep I'm sparko, many times my family have said to me did you hear the thunder last night... what thunder? :)

Developed minor tinnitus in my left ear about a month ago.

DCarmi

Anyone doing both is doing neither properly.
I disagree (at least partially). Brains have 2 forms of attention, conscious and unconscious. The conscious one focusses on the task in hand. The unconscious one is waiting for anything significant e.g. extraneous noise which could be a threat or a benefit. If you are working on something less than riveting this is when you start to get overwhelmed by small distractions.

Music will to an extent neutralise this, especially during boring tasks. There are published studies which show this,. As far as I understand things the "Mozart effect" is not so much his music making you more intelligent, rather his music helping you to learn better.

WayneKerr

I disagree (at least partially). Brains have 2 forms of attention, conscious and unconscious. The conscious one focusses on the task in hand. The unconscious one is waiting for anything significant e.g. extraneous noise which could be a threat or a benefit. If you are working on something less than riveting this is when you start to get overwhelmed by small distractions.

Music will to an extent neutralise this, especially during boring tasks. There are published studies which show this,. As far as I understand things the "Mozart effect" is not so much his music making you more intelligent, rather his music helping you to learn better.
You can disagree all you like but I'm totally with Gray's opinion here... I cannot do both either, it's one or the other... maybe that's why I'm not very intelligent :)

Gray

I'm never going to be a boss, but if I were, I'd never want to be paying people to 'work' at home whilst listening to music.

If the 'work' they're doing is that mindless, I'd get a monkey to do it 👍

(And not 12th Monkey, he knows you can't do both properly).

camcroft

I'm talking about work.
What I call work and what others describe as work (even if they get paid for it) are two different things (y)

(Having to listen to today's music could only really be described as punishment).
I think that Simon Cowell would disagree about todays music... He's made a fortune from it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts