What do I need?

Another absolutely abstract, albeit pertinent, dilemma. Yes, yes, been there, done it, posted it... many times, in a round about sort of way.

Definitive answers, please (if poss).

Leema is for keeps. MAs are a make-do speaker, and very happy at the mo.

I would love to go straight to DAC and download method. I'm the first to agree that I'm pretty scared of modernity. I know where I want to get to, but don't know where to start. Space has inhibited the choices.

Ah, can't afford to upgrade in one hit, so has to be done gradually.

Suggestions please.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
PP, as you know, this area is not a particular strong point.....nonetheless, I have a few questions:
- How high a quality are you for and is it going to make your CD redundant?

- How much convenience do you wish for ie. A RipNas rips, tags and stores your music, but at a considerable cost. Maybe a Nas (like those from Qnap), which can be hidden away.

- Are you likely to use streaming services like Napster/Spotify.

- How would you like to control it ie. Laptop, iPad, phone,PDA etc.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin said:
Another absolutely abstract, albeit pertinent, dilemma. Yes, yes, been there, done it, posted it... many times, in a round about sort of way.

Definitive answers, please (if poss).

Leema is for keeps. MAs are a make-do speaker, and very happy at the mo.

I would love to go straight to DAC and download method. I'm the first to agree that I'm pretty scared of modernity. I know where I want to get to, but don't know where to start. Space has inhibited the choices.

Ah, can't afford to upgrade in one hit, so has to be done gradually.

Suggestions please.

:shame: Now why would you want to go too souless downloads ?

Where,s the fun in that ?

With that lovely turntable, all those future upgrades and new vinyl to collect .

Much more civilised

A

Anonymous

My position isn't much different, I'm completely happy with TT, amp and speakers (for a while anyway) but looking to improve digital source for both convenience and sound quality.

Demoing a wireless rdac on Friday, which should hopefully improve cd player and add possibility of using iPod from the other end of the room without having to get up and go to the stereo every time I want to make a change. Can also make much more use of spotify on phone/laptop, again without need for hard connection.

You like the arcam sound, why not give it a go? There are also upgrades to rdac available for £150-250 which gives potential route for future improvements.

A

Anonymous

Fair point fats but nice to have both options depending on mood/occasion

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi plastic penguin, thought i'd lend a hand with some suggestions. But first, what would be your ideal budget to complete the whole upgrade? Are you interested in streaming and multi room? Do you own a laptop and external hard drive or NAS drive? Would you be using the DAC for pc based music only or do you need additional inputs for your CDP ect...

CnoEvil said:
PP, as you know, this area is not a particular strong point.....nonetheless, I have a few questions: - How high a quality are you for and is it going to make your CD redundant? - How much convenience do you wish for ie. A RipNas rips, tags and stores your music, but at a considerable cost. Maybe a Nas (like those from Qnap), which can be hidden away. - Are you likely to use streaming services like Napster/Spotify. - How would you like to control it ie. Laptop, iPad, phone,PDA etc.

Yes, the idea is to cut down totally on CDs, DVDs etc. The house is bulging at the seems: most of my record collection is stored at my sisters down in Sussex.

I want improve on the SQ - natural progession, I call it - and the obvious choice is to chuck the CD73T and have a DVD player that plays cds better than the Arcam. But, as touched in other threads, I've had such conflicting advice and been quoted horrendous prices for switching over, and my lack of confidence, it's enough to make me feel gloomy.

Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of my current set-up, but (cabinet) space, not size of system is a real problem - has been for a while. Need to enable better quality and retrieve some extra space.

Budget is not an issue (within reason), as I'll do it in dribs 'n' drabs.

More questions than answers.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Trade up to the latest Leema Pulse III amplifer (with built-in DAC). That way you prevent an extra box (and an extra interconnect and an extra mains plug) and still have the same sound you know you already like (or maybe even better) and saves you from starting a 'what DAC?' thread.

Add what your proposed DAC would have cost to the trade-in/sell price of your old Leema Pulse, then add what you can sell the CD73 for and you might get quite close to the cost of an ex-demo Pulse III.

The Pulse III also has the advantage of looking like a set-top box. So (with the CD player gone and the old Pulse gone too) friends & relatives might think you have recovered from your hifi obsession :)

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi plastic penguin,

I think many can relate to your post...

First I bought a squeezebox, just for the sake of convenience. Ripped everything to mp3. Then I bought a Synology NAS, because I hated to have my computer running when I wanted to do some listening. Still, my CD was better. Then I re-ripped everything (800+ CD's) to FLAC. And then.... the Squeezebox was as good as my CD. But still....

Then I bought a Rega DAC. And that... just changed it. Completely. This is definitely better than the CDP. So I'm going to sell it. Period.

Good luck with your choices to be made. It can be a lot of fun :)

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi plastic penguin. If you want a Blu Ray player that can also play music then it has to be either the Arcam FMJ BDP100, Marantz UD7006, Cambridge Audio Azur 651BD or the newer 751BD.

I would then suggest a NAS drive with the Marantz NA7004. This has a built in AM,FM,DAB and DAB+ radio. The front usb port can be used to take a digital feed from a i-Pod, is Apple Airplay ready, it can stream from DLNA capable devices, it can access internet radio and has a built in DAC with coax, optical and usb input that your laptop will recognise as a external soundcard. RRP is £7.19.95 but at the moment superfi are selling it for £499.95 with free Apple Airplay Upgrade worth £40.00
wink.gif

Messiah

Gonna throw it in the mix (and I apreciate you want to keep the Leema) but what about actives?

I am obviously gonna suggest the ADMs. Not sure if you have heard them but I would certainly advise you try to get a demo if they are suitable for your requirements.

Really cannot praise them enough and they could provide the quality you are after.

Not interested in Actives. I don't have any problem but I've too many analogue components. In addition to my sig I've have a TV, DVD player and VHS video player all playing through the Leema.

Have thought about dedicated streamer/server to replace the CDP, but this adds to the minefield. Or maybe something like the Audiolab with the built-in DAC - that gives me a little more flexibilty.

The new Leema MKIII is an option, then again so is the new Cyrus... rather stick with the guts I'm familiar with.

What I might persue is a really good Bluray to play my existing discs (disgard the old and wrinkley VHS), sell the CDP and worry about streaming or downloading afterwards.

Next step: to research streaming and downloading I guess.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Some of Naim's products might suit.

For eg, just adding the NDX could be all you need.

Or if you really want to cut down the box count, then maybe the new Naim SuperUniti (though this would mean the Leema becomes redundant). Both however, cannot play CDs so you might have to rely entirely on ripped/downloaded music.

Good luck and tread carefully - it can be a minefield!

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Ok, I recommend you sell everything you currently own. :)

Replace with:

Apple TV - To stream music from your computer.

Benchmark Dac1 HDR - Remote controlled preamp and DAC all in one. A tiny half width unit.

PMC DB1i Actives OR Dynaudio Focus 110 Actives.

Done. Simple, and amazing sound from a tiny package.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
I wasn't going to post any more on this forum but I feel I have something to offer you from my experience of streaming. Plus you've always been keen to post in response to my threads. If you want to e-mail me at philex (at) hotmail (dot) com I'll see if I can help.

brendonw

May 24, 2010
Visit site
spockfish said:
Hi plastic penguin,

I think many can relate to your post...

First I bought a squeezebox, just for the sake of convenience. Ripped everything to mp3. Then I bought a Synology NAS, because I hated to have my computer running when I wanted to do some listening. Still, my CD was better. Then I re-ripped everything (800+ CD's) to FLAC. And then.... the Squeezebox was as good as my CD. But still....

Then I bought a Rega DAC. And that... just changed it. Completely. This is definitely better than the CDP. So I'm going to sell it. Period.

Good luck with your choices to be made. It can be a lot of fun :)

This is the route I'd be taking in your position too.

I'm using a Sonos instead of the Squeezebox and an rDAC instead of the REGA.

I'm still buying the CDs though, not downloading and then ripping to lossless.

The other comment about the Pulse III also sounded good :)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
What is the budget?

At the very least you are going to need a DAC that can match/exceed the performance of your CD player when streaming lossless CD rips from your computer. (For argument's sake a CA DacMagic or Arcam rDAC or Rega DAC.)

John Duncan

PP

First thing you need to do is decide where you want to store your music. If the answer is iTunes then an Airport Express is the onviois forst port of call - you'll get half decent results out of the box amd will be able to take it to a much higher level later with a DAC.

I'd normally suggesy an ATV as an alternative but the latest one has no analogue output.

Another direction uou could take is ome of the Cabridge Blu Ray players which would cover many of your requirements but set up would be more complicated than the AEX and i get the impression you want to avoid that.

JD

John Duncan said:
PP First thing you need to do is decide where you want to store your music. If the answer is iTunes then an Airport Express is the onviois forst port of call - you'll get half decent results out of the box amd will be able to take it to a much higher level later with a DAC. I'd normally suggesy an ATV as an alternative but the latest one has no analogue output. Another direction uou could take is ome of the Cabridge Blu Ray players which would cover many of your requirements but set up would be more complicated than the AEX and i get the impression you want to avoid that. JD

Funny you should mention Airport Express. Last night I read this: http://www.simpleeditions.com/8001/how-to-stream-spotify-wirelessly-to-your-stereo

I'll still need a DAC because I've no extra inputs left on the amp. Is that right?

brendonw

May 24, 2010
Visit site
You'd only need that IF you were going iTunes and PC route, not via NAS.

iTunes IMO has become clunky.

I favour DbPoweramp for ripping to the NAS directly. NAS can be left on the time and its power consumption is low.

Also gives an option to stream video too :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts