What cables do I need KEF / Castle to Arcam?

thewrongtrousers

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

New on this forum, so apologies if this isn't in the right place. Anyway, while I am quite technically minded in other ways, I have never had any experience with Hi-Fi systems and the relevant cables needed to put one together. Recently I was helping a friends family move house when we came across a couple of boxes of speakers, and Hi Fi equipment. I am kind of on the lookout for a decent one and they said I could have them if I wanted. But couldn't remember where they got it and had no interest in it at all.

When I got it home and realised there were no cables except for power cables. So was hoping someone might be able to help me identify which ones I need. (Please don't think me lazy I have spent a few hours on the internet trying to found out what I need but to no luck). The cheaper the better really in case it doesn't work.

Arcam Alpha 6 Plus Amplifier

Arcam 7 Am/Fm

Arcam CD73

2 x KEF C55 speakers

2 x Castle ISIS speakers

From the reseach I have done it seems that the speakers can take banana plugs, bare cable, spade connectors and double 4mm plugs. However in the instruction manuals for the Arcam Amplifier I think (couldn't find the exact model) it says that compatible speakers need to have 4 connectors yet the KEF ones only seem to have two and the Castle ones have four but two seem to be blocked off. So now I'm not sure if they are compatible or not. Other sites I have found say both the KEF and Castle speakes are they but don't mention what cables I need so am a bit stuck as to what to buy.

Any helped appreciated - thanks in advance.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
No answers yet?

For testing I would use bare wires but bananas for long term. Red and black from amp to each speaker. The 4 terminals of the castles should have links - red to red and black to black. If not they need to be connected with wire links. Phonograph (RCA) plugs to connect amp/CD/tuner etc.

Enough info?

rainsoothe

Hi. If they work, then congrats, you lucky b******* :D

Indeed, on the speaker with 4 binding posts, there should be 2 links - 1 between reds, 1 between blacks. You don't need a speaker with 4 posts I think. I think that's only by-wiring. So get the cheapest speaker cable, and link red from amp with red on speakers, and likewise for black. Interconnect the electronics with 2xRCA to 2xRCA. And dont plug ANYTHING in the Phono sockets, unless it's a turntable with no phono stage. Goodluck.

thewrongtrousers

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, I've just ordered some speaker cable and I think I've got some RCA cables somewhere, I did have a box of them but think I may have sold them at a car boot last year when I cleaned out the shed, so may have to order them as well :-( I actually need one for something else as well so I really hope I've still got them.

I'll post again once tested to update what the results are, as you say they may not work.

thewrongtrousers

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
@RobinKidderminster

I've been wanting to say thanks for your post for ages but everytime I have logged back in to post a reply I have been blocked for doing so, it just says I'm posting spam???? - don't know if it was a new member thing or not? Seems to be okay now though.

Anyway thanks, I've not tried yet as been too busy but will post again if any problems.

thewrongtrousers

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
Just an update on this, I finally got some speaker cable (I found the RCA cables) and tested everything, it was quite easy in the end. And everything was working fine so I guess I have lucked out a bit here. The dial on the amp is a little bit clunky (I think maybe a catch or something inside has snapped) as it comes forward from the top when turned but I can complain.

Just wanted to say a big thanks for all those that posted advice on this, much appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts