what do I need for internet radio?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Most of my radio listening is radio 4. I'm sorted with the hi-fi but at least half my listening is time shifted, logged onto BBC's website but through the cruddy speakers on the computer. I do like to listen to most talk stuff while working at the computer so just need the sound quality to do it justice.

Do internet radios time shift like I can do with a couple of clicks on screen or is there a decent sounding accessory for computers that would be a better prospect? You can probably tell I'm not a gadget person so if you're puzzled by my questions, don't assume I have the slightest idea what I'm talking about but I do know what I want to achieve.

Any (decent and sensible - OK, decent would do) suggestions will be gratefully read.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

someone on another site suggested MP3 with radio/record facility then what I don't catch that way can be played as podcasts, all through a little active speaker dock. Is that the way to go? Any other suggestions, please?

John Duncan

Sorry, just to clarify - do you want to do this through your PC only? If so, buy a Freeview TV card for your PC - it's higher quality than DAB or Internet for Radio 4 (or is at least equal), and will have the software for time-shift capability included in the box.

John Duncan

Start with "Haupaugge" - they're the best-known TV card manufacturer. Get one with a twin digital tuner (their model range is extensive so I couldn't immediately work out which one you need!), and you can record one programme while watching another, just like you would with TV. And I say again, radio through Freeview is generally better than DAB or Internet, though has less choice.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
We tested the Hauppage WINTV HVR900 back in July 06. It plugs into your PCs USB port and turns your computer into a Freeview TV. Your PC must run Windows XP, but otherwise it's easy to install.

We marked it down to three stars largely due to poor image quality with TV (blocking), but it should be OK for picking up Freeview radio stations. Just be aware you may have to fiddle around with the supplied portable aerial to get a decent signal.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts