What did I do wrong on my first Hi-Fi?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Another great suggestion from a couple of pages ago (sorry I forget who) was to try another source, even if it's just the bog-standard line-output from any random cheap DVD player. Gives you a something to compare against.

I might have to tell my wife that I need to go on a mercy mission to Thailand. I might be away some time guys...

T

the record spot

davedotco said:
Zilli,

If you are still bothering to read this thread, you can happily disregard most of it as nonsense. The solution to your issues require major changes. It depends on you circumstances but is there anyway that you can return or exchange any of your equipment?

If not, then the chapest way forward is this.

1) Check and recheck the setup of your player, particularly the arm and cartridge.

2) Wall mount the player, a purpose built shelf for peference, failing that a pair of brackets with a small shelf resting on them but not attached by screws or other fixings. Get the shelf as level as you can and put the player on it.

3) Replace the Missions with a decent pair of stand mount speakers, obviously you are limited by what is available to you, maybe a pair of Rega RS1?

4) Set up the system from the beginning paying particular attention to the player support and speaker stands, revisit the speakers when you move to a bigger room.

Good Luck.

Correction Dave, the cheapest way forward is to let the speakers run for a day or two and shift them around a little. Then you can do the rest. Opinions about the quality or lack thereof about the rest of the gear are just that. Until the Missions have loosened up a little none of what we think means a whole lot.

It's been another day, so assuming our OP hasn't gone elsewhere thanks to the hopeless thread derail by others about the stupidity of SATA cab;es and the non-impact they really do have on a system, then he might let us know what the story is with how they sound now!

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Another great suggestion from a couple of pages ago (sorry I forget who) was to try another source, even if it's just the bog-standard line-output from any random cheap DVD player. Gives you a something to compare against..

Apology accepted. ;)

Playing some CD's on any old DVD player is the obvious next step. At least this will let him know if the issue lies with the speakers or the record player.

Good luck in Thailand FB.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
the record spot said:
davedotco said:
Zilli,

If you are still bothering to read this thread, you can happily disregard most of it as nonsense. The solution to your issues require major changes. It depends on you circumstances but is there anyway that you can return or exchange any of your equipment?

If not, then the chapest way forward is this.

1) Check and recheck the setup of your player, particularly the arm and cartridge.

2) Wall mount the player, a purpose built shelf for peference, failing that a pair of brackets with a small shelf resting on them but not attached by screws or other fixings. Get the shelf as level as you can and put the player on it.

3) Replace the Missions with a decent pair of stand mount speakers, obviously you are limited by what is available to you, maybe a pair of Rega RS1?

4) Set up the system from the beginning paying particular attention to the player support and speaker stands, revisit the speakers when you move to a bigger room.

Good Luck.

Correction Dave, the cheapest way forward is to let the speakers run for a day or two and shift them around a little. Then you can do the rest. Opinions about the quality or lack thereof about the rest of the gear are just that. Until the Missions have loosened up a little none of what we think means a whole lot.

It's been another day, so assuming our OP hasn't gone elsewhere thanks to the hopeless thread derail by others about the stupidity of SATA cab;es and the non-impact they really do have on a system, then he might let us know what the story is with how they sound now!

Not in this instance where I feel that the magnitude of the problems are far beyond run in, cabling or minor issues of siting.

If the OP has any chance of returning any of the items for refund or exchange he needs to be quick. Running in is mostly (though not entirely) a tactic used by dealers and manufacturers to give the customer time to adapt to the sound of the system.

The big unknown in this case is what the OP's expectations are, we really do not know that, so have no idea whether his system will suit him or not. For that reason I have made a call based on the general characteristics of the components involved and years of experience of how such systems are set up in peoples homes.

T

the record spot

Yep and you'll know more about how they gel well as far as the OP's concerned once the speakers have run in. Cables are a waste of time here. But swapping the gear out when the speakers are still new is a waste of time too and - IMO - bad advice.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
the record spot said:
Yep and you'll know more about how they gel well as far as the OP's concerned once the speakers have run in. Cables are a waste of time here. But swapping the gear out when the speakers are still new is a waste of time too and - IMO - bad advice.

Opinions vary on the concept of running in, I believe it to be a minor issue that is much over hyped.

Personally I feel that the only component in a system that really runs in is our ears, speakers may loosen up after a few hours, but, in my experience, the differences are not huge.

The adjustments made by our ears and brain are huge in comparison.

As I said above, the system is a lemon, living with it a bit longer will only tell you what kind of a lemon it is.

All IMO of course, the OP will have to make the call on this.

matthewpiano

IAG's budget floorstanders are generally pretty horrid. Lots of drive units packed into big, cheap boxes with all sorts of problems. I've been there - I've still got a pair of Diamond 10.4s tucked away that have some of the promising qualities of the little 10.1 standmounts but ruin them with over-hyped bass, un-convincing integration and all sorts of extra resonances from the cabinet. Lack of clarity is a major issue with these towers.

In fact I still think the best affordable speakers to come out of Wharfedale or Mission in recent years are the Diamond 9.1s. Nothing from the much hyped Peter Comeau-designed ranges of either brand has convinced me as much.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
IAG's budget floorstanders are generally pretty horrid. Lots of drive units packed into big, cheap boxes with all sorts of problems. I've been there - I've still got a pair of Diamond 10.4s tucked away that have some of the promising qualities of the little 10.1 standmounts but ruin them with over-hyped bass, un-convincing integration and all sorts of extra resonances from the cabinet. Lack of clarity is a major issue with these towers.

In fact I still think the best affordable speakers to come out of Wharfedale or Mission in recent years are the Diamond 9.1s. Nothing from the much hyped Peter Comeau-designed ranges of either brand has convinced me as much.

To be honest I think most budget floorstanders fall into that category but it it is what the market wants.

Floorstanders rather than standmounds, loads of bass, most of it with no connection to the music etc, etc.

T

the record spot

matthewpiano said:

The 10.3 enjoyed a very favourable review from Hi Fi World. I tend to trust their reviews by and large and the 10.3 had one bass driver and a tweeter. Judging them - and Peter Comeau - seems a tad harsh MP.

matthewpiano

the record spot said:
matthewpiano said:

The 10.3 enjoyed a very favourable review from Hi Fi World. I tend to trust their reviews by and large and the 10.3 had one bass driver and a tweeter. Judging them - and Peter Comeau - seems a tad harsh MP

Well, not really RS. I'm not that impressed with what Comeau has done with the two brands overall. They've both produced substantially better speakers in their seperate pasts.

The 10.3 were effectively a 10.1 with the extra problems of a cheap floorstanding cabinet. I'd take the 10.1 (or preferably the 9.1) any day.

T

the record spot

davedotco said:
Opinions vary on the concept of running in, I believe it to be a minor issue that is much over hyped.

Personally I feel that the only component in a system that really runs in is our ears, speakers may loosen up after a few hours, but, in my experience, the differences are not huge.

As I said above, the system is a lemon, living with it a bit longer will only tell you what kind of a lemon it is.

I refer to running in over an extended time (a day or two) for speakers only. The rest is within a few hours at most. My own experience would suggest as much and most recently with the Tannoys. After a couple of days they sounded great. At the outset, pretty harsh. Not so now. The differences were clear enough for me to hang on to them and two and a half years in, not a lot would change my opinion about the DC4. Four hours in and based on your criteria, I'd have been getting shot of them. That would've been a mistake and hence my view. The OP needs to give the speakers time, though in his small room, my gut feel is to change them out for something more suitable in the smaller space.

T

the record spot

matthewpiano said:
Well, not really RS. I'm not that impressed with what Comeau has done with the two brands overall. They've both produced substantially better speakers in their seperate pasts.

The 10.3 were effectively a 10.1 with the extra problems of a cheap floorstanding cabinet. I'd take the 10.1 (or preferably the 9.1) any day.

His record is sound IMO; the World Designs WD25EX-T speaker kit was well rated and popular (for a kit, though it could be bought assembled). Yes, sure we can all look back at Mission in 1993 with the 75 series, but the company dipped long before IAG came along. Architects of their own demise. Never heard any of the current Mission range, so am not in a position to comment, but producing a speaker that consumers want at a price they can afford is one thing, it doesn't make him a poor designer.

Whether you'd take the standmount over the 10.3 is another matter MP. The HFW review was very favourable and as mentioned, I would trust that review.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
the record spot said:
davedotco said:

I refer to running in over an extended time (a day or two) for speakers only. The rest is within a few hours at most. My own experience would suggest as much and most recently with the Tannoys. After a couple of days they sounded great. At the outset, pretty harsh. Not so now. The differences were clear enough for me to hang on to them and two and a half years in, not a lot would change my opinion about the DC4. Four hours in and based on your criteria, I'd have been getting shot of them. That would've been a mistake and hence my view. The OP needs to give the speakers time, though in his small room, my gut feel is to change them out for something more suitable in the smaller space.

I was under the impression that the OP had used the system for a day or two, he talked about things sounding better the next day. Maybe I miss-read.

Also if speakers do run in, they will loosen up (surrounds, spider) which tends to produce even more bass, in this case compounding the problem.

T

the record spot

Vladimir said:
I don't think the OP is coming back to the thread. :?

It seems not Vladimir and on reflection, I don't think I will either. Outta this one.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I think your problem is that you never demoed (listened to) any of your hi-fi before buying. Lots of speakers sound different to each other and some amplifers only sound their best when paired with the right speakers. The only way to find out which speakers sounds right for you and which amplifier works best with which speakers is to find yourself a good hi-fi dealer and start demoing stuff. You can try and changle the cables as much as you like but it is only going to make a small difference and not a big one. Your just going to have to start again and demo some stuff to see what you like and don't like.What hi-fi magazine will never tell you what you should or should be buying they only only give 5 stars to products you should seriously consider demoing. They leave it up to you to decide what sounds good to your ear. Sorry to be so blunt but it is not brain science.

pyrrhon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:
You are exactly right there - it does matter what file has gone through in its life - from disc getting onto the storage ssd.

I have that covered as well - come and spend the day here and look / listen. It might surpise you :)

I cant do your test - task manager is shut down for playback as with nealry every other service - optimisation of windows for audio playback - works a treat

Low grade balony. Do you sell it?

Happy_Listner

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I don't think your Mission Speakers are in the same class as the Roksan and Rega.

Anyway, make sure the speaker drivers are all OK and not damaged or pushed in. Make sure the cable leads are correct. Give it time to break in.

What cartridge are you usuing with the Rega?

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
I reckon he really does believe - some people are like that, Jehovas Witnesses are the same, absolute unquestioning faith despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Interesting to know what makes some people think in that way.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts