What did I do wrong on my first Hi-Fi?

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

matthewpiano

This thread just gets more unbelievable. He wants a hi-fi not a night club system!

It all boils down to the fact that the choice of equipment isn't right. First step should be to see if he can return those speakers and try some standmounters that are more suitable for the room and not compromised by a big cheap enclosure and multiple drive units.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
This thread just gets more unbelievable. He wants a hi-fi not a night club system!

It all boils down to the fact that the choice of equipment isn't right. First step should be to see if he can return those speakers and try some standmounters that are more suitable for the room and not compromised by a big cheap enclosure and multiple drive units.

zilli said:
So, I finally had all the pieces yesterday and I spent the night mounting them. I was quite excited to hear the MX-5. All the reviews I read stated that they can kick very well. And after hours of work, I finally turned on my Rega and brought the volume up. However, what I heard wasn't what I was expecting. The speakers didn't perform at all. The speakers sound likes if there are pillows in front of them. Stuffy??? Sorry, I cannot find the adjective here. You cannot have an idea how disappointed I'm. :(

Or does he? :?

Read his first comment (quoted above).

thebigbeat

May 10, 2014
Visit site
the fact that the guy says the speakers sound like they have pillows in front of them indicates a problem greater than just a small room. i have a small room and no matter what speakers i set up or what their size is i never have had anything like what he describes. i would also say that rules out any issue with break in as well- fresh out of the box i've never heard of speakers with this dismal a description. all of this guy's equipment is of a high enough calibre that it shouldn't sound like there are pillows in front of the speakers. now, after seeing that he does have this wired up correctly, i think it's safe to conclude that at least one piece of this kit is faulty. time to do some simple substitutions-start with the easiest piece to swap out-borrow a turntable, or a tuner or cd player to see if the problem is at the souce and work done the line from there. endless speculation will just be endless.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
thebigbeat said:
the fact that the guy says the speakers sound like they have pillows in front of them indicates a problem greater than just a small room. i have a small room and no matter what speakers i set up or what their size is i never have had anything like what he describes. i would also say that rules out any issue with break in as well- fresh out of the box i've never heard of speakers with this dismal a description. all of this guy's equipment is of a high enough calibre that it shouldn't sound like there are pillows in front of the speakers. now, after seeing that he does have this wired up correctly, i think it's safe to conclude that at least one piece of this kit is faulty. time to do some simple substitutions-start with the easiest piece to swap out-borrow a turntable, or a tuner or cd player to see if the problem is at the souce and work done the line from there. endless speculation will just be endless.

Good post and welcome to the forum. :)

peterpiper

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
maybe the first lp he tried was a poor dull recording ,

he's not back anymore, assume everthing is fine then

BTW, those ortofon concords dont sound that bad you know, I have a pro s , sometimes I replace my AT with it when playing very warped or scratched lp's, superb trackers, they are capable of clear punchy dynamic sounding output

there is too much snobbery with audio stuff

'''''''unless its beats headphones''''''' :p

zilli

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Since we have people thinking that I deserted the topic, even when I thanked all and had written a post with my findings I will make this my 'official' last one.

First thank you alot for all the good comments :)

When I wrote the post, I was feeling bad mostly because I had something in my mind and when I finally listen to my set I, that thing that I imagined didn't happen. And today I can see that was my fault. The two main reaons are: a) I have a very small room b) vinyls are dirty. When I put my set in a big room and with any other source the magic happens :rockout: . The image that I had in my mind happens. I am pretty happy now.

I post another question about cleaning the vinyls http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/how-to-use-a-cleaning-set any help is welcome.

Thanks!

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Thank you Zilli, we needed some closure.
th_whew.gif

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
zilli said:
Since we have people thinking that I deserted the topic, even when I thanked all and had written a post with my findings I will make this my 'official' last one.

First thank you alot for all the good comments :)

When I wrote the post, I was feeling bad mostly because I had something in my mind and when I finally listen to my set I, that thing that I imagined didn't happen. And today I can see that was my fault. The two main reaons are: a) I have a very small room b) vinyls are dirty. When I put my set in a big room and with any other source the magic happens :rockout: . The image that I had in my mind happens. I am pretty happy now.

I post another question about cleaning the vinyls http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/how-to-use-a-cleaning-set any help is welcome.

Thanks!

There you go :)

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Excellent!

I'm sure Dave will be along in a moment to say that your speakers are really great and that no-one should ever have doubted it.

:wave:

(Actually to be fair to Dave, I think he did say there was probably something wrong with the vinyl front end, and that the speakers might be too big.)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
Excellent!

I'm sure Dave will be along in a moment to say that your speakers are really great and that no-one should ever have doubted it.

:wave:

(Actually to be fair to Dave, I think he did say there was probably something wrong with the vinyl front end, and that the speakers might be too big.)

Now, now matt..... :shame:

The issue with the vinyl front end is almost certainly setup, mainly support and positioning which in a small room with big bass heavy speakers is absolutely critical.

Naturally the Missions will sound better in a big room with some space around them, still not remotely to my taste but that is not the point.

The really interesting part of zilli's post is that he had expectations that clearly were not fulfilled, a problem that appears to remain with vinyl even in the bigger room.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts