What did I do wrong on my first Hi-Fi?

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
matthewpiano said:
IAG's budget floorstanders are generally pretty horrid. Lots of drive units packed into big, cheap boxes with all sorts of problems. I've been there - I've still got a pair of Diamond 10.4s tucked away that have some of the promising qualities of the little 10.1 standmounts but ruin them with over-hyped bass, un-convincing integration and all sorts of extra resonances from the cabinet. Lack of clarity is a major issue with these towers.

In fact I still think the best affordable speakers to come out of Wharfedale or Mission in recent years are the Diamond 9.1s. Nothing from the much hyped Peter Comeau-designed ranges of either brand has convinced me as much.

To be honest I think most budget floorstanders fall into that category but it it is what the market wants.

Floorstanders rather than standmounds, loads of bass, most of it with no connection to the music etc, etc.
Have you had a listen to the Boston acousitcs M340. It does bass really well.Tight deep bass. Thus an American company these speakers were fine tuned by Ken Ishiwata. These speakers have 4 woofers on each speaker.. only 4inches in diameter. The rhythm & depth of bass is really something to behold.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
lindsayt said:
I'm a B&W CM1 hater. I don't go on about it... Much.

Well that's putting it too strongly. I don't hate them as they're inanimate objects that never did anyone any direct harm. But I do think they are possibly the most soporifically boring speakers I've ever heard. The sort of speakers that if I owned them I'd be looking to replace them within 20 seconds.

But we all have different tastes. And I would defend the right for anyone to like the CM1's. Just as I would defend the right for anyone to recommend various tweaks that they've tried, even though those tweaks may be non-applicable to me, or may be tweaks that I've tried and discarded.

Good or bad, boring or exciting, CM1s are actual speakers and they work as in they produce sound, they are transducers. However, many tweaks don't work at all and are just placebo selfindulgance scaming people out of their money.
wink.gif

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
Vladimir said:
I don't think the OP is coming back to the thread. :?

Funny that, I had the same sort of feeling....... I wonder why?

Now we will never find out that his cartridge had been covered in crud all along. :grin:

Why? Because Freddy and the Major suggested him to try another source! That's why! He's probably left the WHF forum and joined the 'Wam... :)

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
DocG said:
Al ears said:
Vladimir said:

Now we will never find out that his cartridge had been covered in crud all along. :grin:

Why? Because Freddy and the Major suggested him to try another source! That's why! He's probably left the WHF forum and joined the 'Wam... :)

I think trying another source might well clarify issues.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Good work everyone. High fives all round. I think we've managed to completely scare off the OP. That'll teach people not to come along and ask a question on this forum :clap:

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
DocG said:
Al ears said:
Vladimir said:

Appologies, Freddy. It was just an attempt at humour (and a poor one at that -- I shouldn't try humour in a foreign language). I 'misunderstood' you as if I thought you suggested 'another source of information'; hence the Wam suggestion...

Never mind, I appologize again... :oops:

Carry on! :cheers:

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
Freddy58 said:
DocG said:
Al ears said:
Vladimir said:

Appologies, Freddy. It was just an attempt at humour (and a poor one at that -- I shouldn't try humour in a foreign language). I 'misunderstood' you as if I thought you suggested 'another source of information'; hence the Wam suggestion...

Never mind, I appologize again... :oops:

Carry on! :cheers:

Just don't mention cables to him and he's a great chap.

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
ID. said:
Good work everyone. High fives all round. I think we've managed to completely scare off the OP. That'll teach people not to come along and ask a question on this forum :clap:

Honestly, before everything went haywire, the OP was asked a couple of questions to which he didn't respond at all. It is my guess that he is just not that invested in finding a solution through this forum, or perhaps the problem has been solved and the OP hasn't felt the need to report back.

Broner said:
ID. said:

Honestly, before everything went haywire, the OP was asked a couple of questions to which he didn't respond at all. It is my guess that he is just not that invested in finding a solution through this forum, or perhaps the problem has been solved and the OP hasn't felt the need to report back.

Nah! I'd rather think it's because his thread has gone decidedly pear-shaped.

thebigbeat

May 10, 2014
Visit site
something doesn't look right about the connectors on the back of the speakers-very strange-if i had to guess i'd say your speakers are fakes. even the jumpers look too cheap. i take it you are in asia-there are knockoffs of everything there including name brand speakers.

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
Broner said:
ID. said:

Nah! I'd rather think it's because his thread has gone decidedly pear-shaped.

You"re probably right, but I'm sticking to my explanation because I'm in a stubborn mood.

thebigbeat

May 10, 2014
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
They look like normal MX-series terminals and jumpers to me.
upon futher review you are right they do look like normal connectors and jumpers for that series. my apologies, i had something else in mind. anyways good luck, i would like to hear how you resolve this.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The OP said the sound keeps improving on the second day. Meanwhile pooh artilery started: "What do you expect for that kind of money?", "Youh bought blind a 5 star system and you expected it to work?! Ha! Jokes on you!", "I'm sure the whole problem in a newb's turntable based system are the speaker links!".

So...
relax.gif

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
The OP said the sound keeps improving on the second day. Meanwhile pooh artilery started: "What do you expect for that kind of money?", "Youh bought blind a 5 star system and you expected it to work?! Ha! Jokes on you!", "I'm sure the whole problem in a newb's turntable based system are the speaker links!".

So...
relax.gif

You have a Kandy amplifier and appear to have been around the block once or twice.

Are you seriously trying to tell me that the OP's system is anything but a poor choice for a small room?

The OP's initial reactions were honest and severe enough to come on here and ask what was wrong, what would you have told him?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Regarding the amp:

1) Missions are dark, the Kandy favorizes more lively speakers.

2) Louder cart to match the Kandy, possibly a DJ cart like Ortofon.

Things to go wrong physically and psychoacoustically for a newb blind buying a whole new system based on a TT are ENDLESS.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Regarding the amp:

1) Missions are dark, the Kandy favorizes more lively speakers.

2) Louder cart to match the Kandy, possibly a DJ cart like Ortophone.

The possibilities things to go wrong physically and psychoacoustically for a newb blind buying a whole new system based on TT are ENDLESS.

Sure but some possibilities are more obvious and likely than others.

Read my analysis earlier in the thread and tell me what Ihave got wrong......!

BTW. Is the phono stage on the Kandy that useless, surely not?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Not useless but I think a louder and more expressive cart might be more to a young man's liking. Also much easier to setup your TT right with DJ carts. We can only guess and he obviosly doesn't need our help anymore.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Not useless but I think a louder and more expressive cart might improve things. Also much easier to setup your TT right with DJ carts.

But we do not actually know what cartridge he has. Assuming it is a Rega (he said Rega Player) they are quoted at 6.8-7.2mv which should be fine.

On the other hand he could have a complete dog of a cartridge fitted and the Kandy/Mission combiination might be a fine, musically expressive combo with a tight bass and wonderful clarity ideally suited to the smaller room..

But then again.............

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
zilli said:
- Roksan Kandy 2

- Mission MX-5

- Rega RP-6

- QED Silver Anniversary XT

So, I finally had all the pieces yesterday and I spent the night mounting them. I was quite excited to hear the MX-5. All the reviews I read stated that they can kick very well. And after hours of work, I finally turned on my Rega and brought the volume up. However, what I heard wasn't what I was expecting. The speakers didn't perform at all. The speakers sound likes if there are pillows in front of them. Stuffy??? Sorry, I cannot find the adjective here. You cannot have an idea how disappointed I'm. :(

Speakers breaking in possibly. He reported improvements on day 2.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts