What did I do wrong on my first Hi-Fi?

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Yep do believe - heard what I have heard simple as - you base your opinions on the same. millions agree with me - sure the same agree with you

Best system I have heard so far was setup 2-4 no metal jumpers in sight
smiley-laughing.gif

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
ellisdj said:
millions agree with me

Not about SATA cables they don't.

Thats not what I said , your twsiting that - I also never brought sata cables up - I was scrutinised for having it in my sig and was questioned on it so responded honestly

I can think what I think in regards to this - you ask me I will tell you. I dont scrutinise yours or anyones choices of kit or accessories.

I have done so a little bit before in the home cinema section - but not intended to - use of wrong words and apologised for it.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
ellisdj said:
I also never brought sata cables up - I was scrutinised for having it in my sig and was questioned on it so responded honestly

Exactly, regardless of who brought it up you honestly believe that different SATA cables will alter a file being passed along them, which is a physical impossibility but you still believe that.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
To be honest i think its more to with the screening of the cable from emi / rfi etc.rather than different copper sounding different etc. But youll say snake oil the same

Touch more to it than that but thats my theory.of.why, just mine- i.tried for free.and decided to keep as i found it improved my system sound

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
ellisdj said:
To be honest i think its more to with the screening of the cable from emi / rfi etc.rather than different copper sounding different etc. But youll say snake oil the same

Do you even understand or acknowledge the point that if SATA cables changed files no computer in the world would work? Just think it about for ten seconds and you must realise that what you believe can't possibly be happening.

matthewpiano

the record spot said:
matthewpiano said:
Well, not really RS. I'm not that impressed with what Comeau has done with the two brands overall. They've both produced substantially better speakers in their seperate pasts.

The 10.3 were effectively a 10.1 with the extra problems of a cheap floorstanding cabinet. I'd take the 10.1 (or preferably the 9.1) any day.

His record is sound IMO; the World Designs WD25EX-T speaker kit was well rated and popular (for a kit, though it could be bought assembled). Yes, sure we can all look back at Mission in 1993 with the 75 series, but the company dipped long before IAG came along. Architects of their own demise. Never heard any of the current Mission range, so am not in a position to comment, but producing a speaker that consumers want at a price they can afford is one thing, it doesn't make him a poor designer.

Whether you'd take the standmount over the 10.3 is another matter MP. The HFW review was very favourable and as mentioned, I would trust that review.

I never said he was a poor designer. I'm saying that by and large I'm not really impressed with what he has done with the Wharfedale and Mission ranges, supporting this with the example of the Diamond 9.1 (pre-Comeau) being (IMO) the best of all the recent small Diamond standmounts.

As for reviews, I don't really trust any of them and read them more for different personal opinions on equipment than any sort of definitive statement. I picked up a copy of HFW the other day and I think it has gone downhill since David Price left. Funnily enough I rather like HFC these days, but I only ever see a review as another person's opinion and nothing more.

Anyway I'm not sure our little disagreement is really helping the OP that much. The point I'm making is that there are many far more capable speakers around than those big lumbering Missions and a good pair of standmounts will give the OP far more clarity and insight.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
ellisdj said:

Do you even understand or acknowledge the point that if SATA cables changed files no computer in the world would work? Just think it about for ten seconds and you must realise that what you believe can't possibly be happening.

I get that - dont disagree with it at all. I dont think any files are changed - not said that ever.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
JCAT SATA Cable

- standard length is 40cm*

- silver plated copper

- multi-core conductors

- multi-stranded

- teflon coated

- connectors made of solid aluminum

- SATA 6Gb/s compliant

Highly recommended for:

- connecting SSD or HDD SATA drive with operating system on it

- connecting SSD or HDD SATA drive with music library on it

Our extensive tests showed that using audio grade SATA cable is as important for sound quality in a computer audio system as using high quality USB cable with a USB DAC or USB-S/PDIF converter.

The price for JPLAY customers is 299EUR per cable in standard length (regular price is 349EUR).

This cable is not shielded. How does it protect from RFI/EMI? :cheer:

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
the record spot said:
matthewpiano said:
Well, not really RS. I'm not that impressed with what Comeau has done with the two brands overall. They've both produced substantially better speakers in their seperate pasts.

The 10.3 were effectively a 10.1 with the extra problems of a cheap floorstanding cabinet. I'd take the 10.1 (or preferably the 9.1) any day.

His record is sound IMO; the World Designs WD25EX-T speaker kit was well rated and popular (for a kit, though it could be bought assembled). Yes, sure we can all look back at Mission in 1993 with the 75 series, but the company dipped long before IAG came along. Architects of their own demise. Never heard any of the current Mission range, so am not in a position to comment, but producing a speaker that consumers want at a price they can afford is one thing, it doesn't make him a poor designer.

Whether you'd take the standmount over the 10.3 is another matter MP. The HFW review was very favourable and as mentioned, I would trust that review.

I never said he was a poor designer. I'm saying that by and large I'm not really impressed with what he has done with the Wharfedale and Mission ranges, supporting this with the example of the Diamond 9.1 (pre-Comeau) being (IMO) the best of all the recent small Diamond standmounts.

As for reviews, I don't really trust any of them and read them more for different personal opinions on equipment than any sort of definitive statement. I picked up a copy of HFW the other day and I think it has gone downhill since David Price left. Funnily enough I rather like HFC these days, but I only ever see a review as another person's opinion and nothing more.

Anyway I'm not sure our little disagreement is really helping the OP that much. The point I'm making is that there are many far more capable speakers around than those big lumbering Missions and a good pair of standmounts will give the OP far more clarity and insight.

I think this is actually a pretty important thread, well it was before it got so badly derailed.

It highlights all kinds of issues, component choice, system building, setup, room effects and the perils of buying blind. There are some good lessons to be learned here but it seems they are being ignored.

One point that I mentioned that was ignored was the 'expectation' of the OP, we have no idea what he wanted or expected to get out of his system, for people new to the hobby this is a really big thing.

The hype that surrounds so much modern product suggests, very forcibly in some cases, that this component or that system is brilliant, thrilling, top class etc, etc, when in reality we are talking abount a slightly better than average mid-fi set-up. Enthusiasts tend to make an awful lot of small differences, sometimes new users hear such systems and wonder what all the fuss is about.

There is another factor to this too, I had a customer return a perfectly decent £2k system for a refund, it turned out that it was 'no good' as it did not sound like a bigger, better version of his aftermarket car stereo setup.

I imaging dealers in todays market get a similar thing with the users of (for example) Beats headphones.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
ellisdj said:
The_Lhc said:
ellisdj said:

I get that - dont disagree with it at all. I dont think any files are changed - not said that ever.

Riiiiiiight, so given SATA is a digital transmission technology, how does the sound improve if the files aren't being changed?

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
ellisdj said:
The_Lhc said:
ellisdj said:

Riiiiiiight, so given SATA is a digital transmission technology, how does the sound improve if the files aren't being changed?

Well I can't think of anything. Jitter is a favourite of the cable fanciers, but I can't see how that can be crowbarred in.

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
ellisdj said:
The_Lhc said:
ellisdj said:

Maybe it would first be good to establish whether everyone here believes in the laws of cause and effect ...

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
JCAT SATA Cable

- standard length is 40cm*

- silver plated copper

- multi-core conductors

- multi-stranded

- teflon coated

- connectors made of solid aluminum

- SATA 6Gb/s compliant

Highly recommended for:

This cable is not shielded. How does it protect from RFI/EMI? :cheer:

Its is screened - it might not be mentioned on there but there is a lot of screening on the cable.

I dont know the exact design of this but I know it is - can tell when you bend it as can see through the braid, thats not how I know.

I know of the guy who makes them and have bought other things from him. He is leading the way ina lot of regards to getting th best sound from a computer - sound that competes with real high end products.

If anyone is going to the Munich High End show in 6 days - pop in and see the JPlay setup and have a listen. I doubt many people on here will be going

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
The trouble with suggesting that zilli should go to dealers for a thorough audition is that there aren't that many hi-fi dealers in Thailand. If he doesn't go to Bangkok very often there may be no dealers that he can visit easily.

Thailand won't have a thriving 2nd hand hi-fi market either.

Thailand doesn't have a big hi-fi forum culture either, for him to link up with other enthusiasts in his region.

If he ever goes on holiday or business to Singapore or Hong Kong or Japan that might be his best avenue for buying hi-fi equipment.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm a B&W CM1 hater. I don't go on about it... Much.

Well that's putting it too strongly. I don't hate them as they're inanimate objects that never did anyone any direct harm. But I do think they are possibly the most soporifically boring speakers I've ever heard. The sort of speakers that if I owned them I'd be looking to replace them within 20 seconds.

But we all have different tastes. And I would defend the right for anyone to like the CM1's. Just as I would defend the right for anyone to recommend various tweaks that they've tried, even though those tweaks may be non-applicable to me, or may be tweaks that I've tried and discarded.

peterpiper

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
I had a pair of 10.2, thought they were quite good at first, but then the more I listened to them the more I disliked them, putting a pair of AE109 in their place was a revelation, a breath of fresh air, more layered,deeper,more ambient ,crisper, more musically satisfying

the 10,2 where comeau designed too :?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts