What CD Player - upgrade

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have upgraded my amp to the Creek Evo, and have Epos M5 speakers. I am currently using the CA 640 V2 CD player, but would like more authority and a better player (as have come into some cash again!).

I would spend upto £500 and am willing to look at second hand, so all your sugestions are welcome.

Cheers....

John Duncan

500 quid will get you a lot second hand. It will also get you an earlier Cyrus 6 new or 8 s/h or exdem (end of line), which could later be upgraded to SE spec. And you know what everybody's saying about those.

TBH though the Cambridge is a great player........you could add a DAC?

A

Anonymous

I'm going to sound like a broken record but get a Musical Fidelity Xray v8 for under 500 notes, new. Very good player.

A

Anonymous

I listen to acid jazz, easy listening, to rock, alot of female vocals. Mainly a varied bunch of music.

I have got to discount the cyrus players, I just don't like the small size of it, or shape. I know I am probably mad, but I would want it to look the same size as the rest of my kit

John Duncan

No, that's fine, I'm the same. Shame though as (same reason) the X-Ray is ace with female vocals. You could look at the Primare CD21, which you could get for £500 s/h, though it's a bit chunky compared to the Creek Evo. Or you could wait until I've heard the DACMagic with my extensive angsty female vocal collection...........

A

Anonymous

Well a reputed retailer mentioned many times on this forum might still have some Arcam CD192s going for £400. That would be my second choice for a new player, heavily discounted at the moment. I can't imagine you'd be disappointed with one of those but I've never heard it.

A

Anonymous

igglebert:(...)get a Musical Fidelity Xray v8 for under 500 notes, new. Very good player.

It's almost twice that amout here in Euro-land. Still worth it? And how does it compare to the even pricier MF A5.5? (I'm using a Creek Destiny amp).

A

Anonymous

If I was spending £1k on a player then I'd be looking at the new crop of Arcams or Cyrus to be honest. The MF A5.5 has a valve output stage I believe so it's probably blissfully smooth, if that's the kind of thing you want (I do!).

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
Isn't the Cambridge Audio at basically the same price point? I don't think it would be much of an upgrade.

If you are just looking for a different sound, then I would urge you to listen to the Consonance CD120 Linear.

I really think you should hold on to the money though.ÿ

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
seduct10n:I have upgraded my amp to the Creek Evo, and have Epos M5 speakers. I am currently using the CA 640 V2 CD player, but would like more authority and a better player (as have come into some cash again!).

I would spend upto £500 and am willing to look at second hand, so all your sugestions are welcome.

Cheers....

I'm amazed no one has mentioned the most obvious one! The Creek Evo cdp?? Are you happy with your new amp - I think it's a cracker. Another cdp that would be worth a listen is the Pioneer PD-D6-J. It is only about £330 but don't let that fool you - as the review in the mag said, it can be matched with far more expensive components and will not shrink away. I listened with it with my old Evo for about an hour and it sounded lovely.

John Duncan

Only things I thought against that pair together were that a) they were a bit up-front and he might need something a bit smoother and b) I don't think it would be much of a jump from what he has already, and should be looking for an 800-1k player for his 500 s/h budget.

A 500 quid DAC though............

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Only things I thought against that pair together were that a) they were a bit up-front and he might need something a bit smoother and b) I don't think it would be much of a jump from what he has already, and should be looking for an 800-1k player for his 500 s/h budget.

A 500 quid DAC though............

I see. A few other options....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Creek-Classic-CD-player_W0QQitemZ190254213942QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item190254213942&_trkparms=72%3A1300%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Naim-CD5i-CD-Player_W0QQitemZ320301955105QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320301955105&_trkparms=72%3A1300%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Arcam-DiVA-CD192-Cd-Player-Brand-New-Silver_W0QQitemZ170265376437QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item170265376437&_trkparms=72%3A1300%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

A

Anonymous

The amp sounds great, makes my epos sing and the tunes much better.

It just makes me want to go spend alot more money on a cdp now though.. I am sure we all have this problem when a new piece of equipment comes along, and you notice the weakest link again...

I will check out the players you all said in the thread.

cheers.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
seduct10n:The amp sounds great, makes my epos sing and the tunes much better.

It just makes me want to go spend alot more money on a cdp now though.. I am sure we all have this problem when a new piece of equipment comes along, and you notice the weakest link again...

I will check out the players you all said in the thread.

cheers.

The good thing is that the Evo has the power and quality to carry a decent cdp. I would go for the Arcam to be honest and then you have £100 spare for a decent pair of interconnects.

T

the record spot

igglebert:Well a reputed retailer mentioned many times on this forum might still have some Arcam CD192s going for £400. That would be my second choice for a new player, heavily discounted at the moment. I can't imagine you'd be disappointed with one of those but I've never heard it.

If it's the same one that you purchased a recent source component from, they're down to the ex-display units!

(Yeah, I've been in touch with just about every damn dealer in the country on advice for my replacement CD player....!)

A

Anonymous

Well, for those looking for a warmer than average sound (analogue sounding?), the Arcam CD36 is meant to be very good and is going for about 700 notes. I should have got one myself as I'm still on a quest for warmth and thought the MF would sort it. The MF is a lot better than the Kandy was but I'm still not there yet! Anyone know of any good valve pres?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the tip Ray. Isn't that a phono preamp?

EDIT - phono as in turntable. Or have I misunderstood what is meant to mean RCA?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
igglebert:Well a reputed retailer mentioned many times on this forum might still have some Arcam CD192s going for £400. That would be my second choice for a new player, heavily discounted at the moment. I can't imagine you'd be disappointed with one of those but I've never heard it.

Agreed

ÿ

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
igglebert:Well, for those looking for a warmer than average sound (analogue sounding?), the Arcam CD36 is meant to be very good and is going for about 700 notes. I should have got one myself as I'm still on a quest for warmth and thought the MF would sort it. The MF is a lot better than the Kandy was but I'm still not there yet! Anyone know of any good valve pres?

pick up a v8 dac it has a tube and straight input - really adds warmth

A

Anonymous

Damn, I've come full circle on this one. I'll just have to get myself the DAC and be done with it!

I'll stop hijacking this thread now. Thanks all.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts