What CD/Bluray player?

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi

I'm trying to reduce the number of boxes that will go in my Podium rack that's due to arrive tomorrow. I'm looking for a combined CD & BR player to replace my Rotel RCD-1072 & Pana BDP110. The CDP is connected to my DAC via coax & the BDP to my Pana plasma via HDMI. Although I rarely play CDs, I still want something with a good transport. My BDP110 has excellent PQ but is very noisy for the 1st 20mins of any BR disc so am looking for something a lot quiter. It also takes ages to load BR discs & doesn't remember the last played position - something I assumed all players had & something I definitely want!

My absolute max price is £600 & 7O's is selling the UD7007 for £599. I'd prefer dual HDMI, coax out & SACD DVD-A will presumeably be down converted to PCM as I don't have any analogue inputs anymore. Another option is the Oppo 103 who's analogue SQ is not an issue but its transport is. Wi Fi would be nice but not a deal-breaker 'cos I can use a WiFi to LAN converter. So my 1st choice is the Marantz but should I be looking at anything else (CA for instance)?

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Danny.

Shame about the poor remote though the Marantz isn't flawless either. What I need to decide is whether or not I need spend so much when I won't be using the analogue outputs for the simple reason I'm using my DAC's volume control straight into a power amp. I'm not interested in surround so those extras on the CA that the Marantz lacks doesn't bother me.

I see you own the 751. How quite is it at the beginning of BR discs - I can hear mine 10ft away! Shockingly loud.

atkins4725

Jul 17, 2007
Visit site
The only issue I have with the remote is that it has no backlight. The pro's of the 751 far out weigh the cons of the remote, it really is a great machine. I had both the Marantz 7007 and the 751bd at home for testing and sent the 7007 back.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Sorted - Azure 751BD installed in new Podium oak rack. Seconds to setup - Youtube laughable to access but my TV does loads, loads more. Mech Noise from spinning BR discs a non-issue. Build quality OK rather than startling. CD Sound into M-DAC great. Not at all keen on the blue display - would prefer the easier-on-the-eye white but as I discovered later - can be dimmed or turned off completely until a button is pressed. Remote better than expected. BR PQ pretty subtle rather than in-ya-face

New - no reburb for £550. Pana BDP110 & Rotel RCD-1072 now retired. So far, so good.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
A friend was also looking to replace a real cheapo old DVD & Marantz CD63SE with a single box like me. He was pointed towards Marantz UD7007 but was OoS. He knew I'd just bought the Azur 751BD so overcame his reservations of stepping inside the branch of Richer Sounds down the road to check one out. He got them to connect one up via a DAC Magic so he could listen to a couple of CDs from the coax output.

He convinced himself that the later Azur 752BD sounded even better through its coax out so bought one. He's given up on iTunes through his laptop & now just plays CDs via his new M-DAC. He's a very happy HiFi bunny now!

I visited them over the Bank holiday & got to play with it extensively. From the front, it looks virtually the same - the logos are far more subtle & has an extra HDMI socket. It's operation is slightly faster & cetainly slicker. He, like me noted the instructions not to close the drawer manually - we've both have once

The most noticeable difference was the remote with it backlight being a welcome edition, he like the very solid cradle. I didn't find the extra buttons around the Enter group a problem & it's volume control works on it digital output but works in a rather odd manner where the top of itts range near max volume works with fine decrements that progressively get courser towards zero volume. He generally has it set to max & uses his DAC to control volume. I took the BD version of The Hobbit which was their 1st experience of Blu-ray. They were greatly impressed.

None of us have any idea how our players work using its internal DACs but the 752 does have coax & optical inputs so could be used straight into a power amp. All of use are very happy with our Cambridge Audio machines - so once again, thanks for the heads up!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts