What are you listening to?

Page 511 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
survivor said:
MrReaper182 said:
survivor said:
MrReaper182 said:
I'm listening to the album Vinland saga by symphonic metal band Leaves' Eyes. Great album, it is probably my favorite by the band. I love the song Elegy but all the songs are fantasic. A true clasic of the symphonic metal genre.

Got this one and as you say a very good album. You`ve reminded me I haven`t played it in awhile!

So your a symphonic metal fan then, that's cool. Yes Vinland is a great album. Whats your favorite symphonic metal album? Mine is the album Once by Nightwish.

Hi MrReaper, sorry not got back to you sooner, I`ve been away for a few days.

Favourite symphonic metal album? Had to think about this and guess what? Mine`s `Once` as well. I did have to think for a bit but taking everything into consideration it is a very strong album. In fact it was the track `Nemo` that really got me interested in the genre. I also like -

Nightwish - `Century Child`, `Dark Passion Play` and `Wishmaster`

Within Temptation - `Enter`, `Mother Earth` and `Silent Force`

Stream Of Passion - `Embrace The Storm` (masterminded by the brilliant Arjen Lucassen)

Epica - `The Phantom Agony` (love Simone Simons voice)

Anything by Pythia who feature Emily Ovenden from Medieaval Baebes and Celtic Legend and of course Leaves Eyes. I also like listening to After Forever and Deliain but haven`t actually purchased any albums by these two as yet.

If we were to go into Symphonic Power Metal then Rhapsody (now Rhapsody Of Fire), Luca Turilli and Kamelot are my current favourites. Mind you Rhapsody and Kamelot are quite different really.

So, who are your favourites?

Very cool. My favorites are:

The heart of everything and Mother Earth by Within Temptation, Astronomicon by Without Face, all the albums that Tarja Turunen did with Nightwish (I will play people Nemo who say metal music is just noise and is not beautiful just to show then how wrong they are) as well as all of her solo albums, all of Leave's Eyes albums (liv Kristine solo albums are also great but they are not metal albums so they don't count), Aegis by Theatre Of Tragedy and all of Lacuna Coil's albums from their second onward (I do not own their first and I have never heard it).

I also love Kamelot. My favorite albums by them are Poetry for the poisoned, One cold winter's night and Siliverthorn. I have never listened to Rhapsody or Luca Turilli.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
MrReaper182 said:
survivor said:
MrReaper182 said:
survivor said:
MrReaper182 said:
I'm listening to the album Vinland saga by symphonic metal band Leaves' Eyes. Great album, it is probably my favorite by the band. I love the song Elegy but all the songs are fantasic. A true clasic of the symphonic metal genre.

Got this one and as you say a very good album. You`ve reminded me I haven`t played it in awhile!

So your a symphonic metal fan then, that's cool. Yes Vinland is a great album. Whats your favorite symphonic metal album? Mine is the album Once by Nightwish.

Hi MrReaper, sorry not got back to you sooner, I`ve been away for a few days.

Favourite symphonic metal album? Had to think about this and guess what? Mine`s `Once` as well. I did have to think for a bit but taking everything into consideration it is a very strong album. In fact it was the track `Nemo` that really got me interested in the genre. I also like -

Nightwish - `Century Child`, `Dark Passion Play` and `Wishmaster`

Within Temptation - `Enter`, `Mother Earth` and `Silent Force`

Stream Of Passion - `Embrace The Storm` (masterminded by the brilliant Arjen Lucassen)

Epica - `The Phantom Agony` (love Simone Simons voice)

Anything by Pythia who feature Emily Ovenden from Medieaval Baebes and Celtic Legend and of course Leaves Eyes. I also like listening to After Forever and Deliain but haven`t actually purchased any albums by these two as yet.

If we were to go into Symphonic Power Metal then Rhapsody (now Rhapsody Of Fire), Luca Turilli and Kamelot are my current favourites. Mind you Rhapsody and Kamelot are quite different really.

So, who are your favourites?

Very cool. My favorites are:

The heart of everything and Mother Earth by Within Temptation, Astronomicon by Without Face, all the albums that Tarja Turunen did with Nightwish (I will play people Nemo who say metal music is just noise and is not beautiful just to show then how wrong they are) as well as all of her solo albums, all of Leave's Eyes albums (liv Kristine solo albums are also great but they are not metal albums so they don't count), Aegis by Theatre Of Tragedy and all of Lacuna Coil's albums from their second onward (I do not own their first and I have never heard it).

I also love Kamelot. My favorite albums by them are Poetry for the poisoned, One cold winter's night and Siliverthorn. I have never listened to Rhapsody or Luca Turilli.

Nice one, a couple of names I am not familiar with so will have a listen when I can. I have Tarja`s first solo album which is good. I must make an effort to hear more by Lacuna Coil.

My favourite Kamelot album is `The Black Halo` and I like most with Roy Kahn on vocals. I think the tone of his voice compliments Kamelots music perfectly. Rhapsody are quite a bit faster and heavier than Kamelot and not really sure they belong in the same genre to be honest. Luca Turilli from Rhapsody is a very talented and fast guitar player. Much of their music sounds quite alike but if you have the patience there is some very good music to be found. In fact, Luca Turillis first solo album `King Of The Nordic Twilight` is probably the best album he or Rhapsody has made. I am more familiar with the earlier albums before they changed the bands name to Rhapsody Of Fire.

And lastly as you say, `Nemo` is a great song!

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
:rockout: RJ DIO This Your LIfe a tribute to Dio, Covers by Tenacios D. Motor Head. Scorpions.Kill Switch Engage.Glenn Hughes. Rob Halford to :rockout: name a few

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
220px-Donovan-The_Hurdy_Gurdy_Man.jpg

Donovan - `The Hurdy Gurdy Man` CD. Remastered issue from 2005 with some very good bonus tracks including `Lalena` and `Catch The Wind`.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
survivor said:
richardw42 said:
No Delain ?

Hi Richard, I mentioned them in my first post. Albeit with a small spelling error! :oops:

i was was only skimming so missed it. They're prob my favourite as they're not so "symphonic"

i went rent to see Delain / Within Temptation last month

I would like to see Delain when they headline.

One ne for the covers thread.

Within Temptation - Summertime Sadness (Lana Del Rey)

http://youtu.be/2gB1G--PHI4

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
51KjmgtzqrL._SX450_.jpg

Been playing select tracks from this and various other compilations to get in the mood for tonight`s Eurovision! Loved the last 7 or 8 years and hoping for a high standard again tonight. Expecting another strong entry from Azerbaijan who have been very consistent since they first participated in 2008.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I am listening to the album Razorblade romance by metal band H.I.M. This is the best album by the band. Love metal was a good album also but their latest album (can not remember its name) is not very good in my view.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm listening to the folk album Tales from the barrel house by Seth Lakeman. He recorded the song More than money down The George and Charlotte copper mine in Morwellham as a tribute to the miners that workled the stubborn granite rock for it's minerals down that mine. Very lovely folk album indeed.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
mnIDYZI93XCXd2s0nzN-DoA.jpg

Eurovision Song Contest 2014 double cd. Pre-ordered this but didn`t open it before the show! As I watched it last night I was thinking it wasn`t as strong as recent years, however, I did wake up with a few of the tunes in my head this morning and listening now to the cd perhaps it is better than I first thought. Great value at under £10. Disappointed in Azerbaijan only coming 22nd. Not their best song ever but still decent, possibly too much of a grower for the Contest where you really need something more instant. First time they`ve finished outside the top ten and actually finished below the United Kingdom this year!

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm listening to the album Deftones by (yep you guessed it) the Deftones. My favorite album by one of my all time favorite metal bands. It is a very heavy and very melodic album. The Deftones are very good at mixing the two together. RIP Chi (bands bassist who is saldy now dead).

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm now listening to 100 hits legends series CD. This one is the 100 hits over 5 CDS of jazz singer/ pianist Nat King Cole songs. I'm am on CD1 track 15 which is called Dinner for one please James. This CD set was great value as the 5 CDs brand new only cost me 6 quid. Nat King Cole had one lovely voice.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
51MTvkmDM0L._SY450_.jpg

IQ - `The Road Of Bones` Collectors Edition double CD. Wasn`t cheap this one but IQ are usually worth it. Early days but sounds quite promising and as always with this band it takes a few listens for it all to seep in.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Wonderful hip jazz discovery; beautifully sparse production, but her voice touches every emotion synapse you have to hand. Stunning.

Melanie de Biasio - No Deal

Saw it recommended in HMV today. Thought I'd see if I could listen to it on Spotify first and thankfully it's there. Think it's a keeper so I shall be visiting HMV pronto.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts