What are you listening to?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"][quote user="survivor"]Separate Ways (Worlds Apart) Oh yes! Love it, love it, love it! What a cracking way to open an album. Send Her My Love and Faithfully are two more classics from that lp. Do you cover Separate Ways?[/quote]

Chance would be a fine thing. We're toying with the idea of adding keyboards (if I buy one), and that would be first on the list. I was introduced to Journey by this track, played on Paul Gambaccini's Saturday afternoon show years ago, which was how my love affair with ARS (American Rock S--- as my brother calls it) began. This track, on a Rega Planet/Mira combo, might very well be the most fun I've ever had with hifi..............[/quote]

Funny enough it was the first Journey track I heard too. Used to rent a room in a house where a music journalist also rented. He had two promo copies of the Frontiers album and he gave me a copy as he thought I`d probably like it. Liked it so much I went out and bit by bit collected their back catalogue. To this day I blame British radio for not playing this band enough and making me miss out on ten years of Journey. If you ever do cover it I may come and see your band! (live near Watford)

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]Find us a pub in Watford........[/quote]

Take a look at this website www.thehornswatford.co.uk holds up to around 200 though you don`t need as many as that for a good atmosphere. They have all sorts of rock bands on. Last band I saw there played covers of songs by Queen, Meat Loaf, Focus, Thin Lizzy, Mike and the Mechanics etc.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
31H3X79D69L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

A

Anonymous

[quote user="survivor"][quote user="JohnDuncan"][quote user="survivor"]Separate Ways (Worlds Apart) Oh yes! Love it, love it, love it! What a cracking way to open an album. Send Her My Love and Faithfully are two more classics from that lp. Do you cover Separate Ways?[/quote]

Chance would be a fine thing. We're toying with the idea of adding keyboards (if I buy one), and that would be first on the list. I was introduced to Journey by this track, played on Paul Gambaccini's Saturday afternoon show years ago, which was how my love affair with ARS (American Rock S--- as my brother calls it) began. This track, on a Rega Planet/Mira combo, might very well be the most fun I've ever had with hifi..............[/quote]

Funny enough it was the first Journey track I heard too. Used to rent a room in a house where a music journalist also rented. He had two promo copies of the Frontiers album and he gave me a copy as he thought I`d probably like it. Liked it so much I went out and bit by bit collected their back catalogue. To this day I blame British radio for not playing this band enough and making me miss out on ten years of Journey. If you ever do cover it I may come and see your band! (live near Watford)
[/quote]can i just say, in my honest and genuinely humble opinion, you think journey are good/great you should get hold of the albums pre steve 'b*****ks' perry joined the band and turned them into AOR/MOR. mid 70,s Journey & Next, both available still i'm fairly certain. N Schon, Greg Rolie, (both straight out of Santana's classic line-up) Aynslie Dunbar, Ross Vallory & George Tickner. Amazing rock music!

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="nandjg"][quote user="survivor"][quote user="JohnDuncan"][quote user="survivor"]Separate Ways (Worlds Apart) Oh yes! Love it, love it, love it! What a cracking way to open an album. Send Her My Love and Faithfully are two more classics from that lp. Do you cover Separate Ways?[/quote]

[/quote]can i just say, in my honest and genuinely humble opinion, you think journey are good/great you should get hold of the albums pre steve 'b*****ks' perry joined the band and turned them into AOR/MOR. mid 70,s Journey & Next, both available still i'm fairly certain. N Schon, Greg Rolie, (both straight out of Santana's classic line-up) Aynslie Dunbar, Ross Vallory & George Tickner. Amazing rock music![/quote]

Hi nandjg, you`re right those mid 70`s albums are great! Obviously a different style compared to the Perry era and I`m fortunate to like them both! As well as the two albums you mentioned there`s a third called `Look Into The Future` which I like a lot. Got it on vinyl whilst the other two I have on cd. Heard sometime ago that all three were due to be remastered but it seems to have been delayed? Not everyone is mad about Aynsley Dunbar but I think he`s a really good drummer. If you haven`t already, check out Jefferson Starships `Freedom At Point Zero` album which he also plays on. Felt a bit sorry for Greg Rolie being gradually edged out of band by Perry. I think Steve Perrys got a superb voice but Rolies a decent singer too. All the best.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="survivor"][quote user="nandjg"][quote user="survivor"][quote user="JohnDuncan"][quote user="survivor"]Separate Ways (Worlds Apart) Oh yes! Love it, love it, love it! What a cracking way to open an album. Send Her My Love and Faithfully are two more classics from that lp. Do you cover Separate Ways?[/quote]

[/quote]can i just say, in my honest and genuinely humble opinion, you think journey are good/great you should get hold of the albums pre steve 'b*****ks' perry joined the band and turned them into AOR/MOR. mid 70,s Journey & Next, both available still i'm fairly certain. N Schon, Greg Rolie, (both straight out of Santana's classic line-up) Aynslie Dunbar, Ross Vallory & George Tickner. Amazing rock music![/quote]

Hi nandjg, you`re right those mid 70`s albums are great! Obviously a different style compared to the Perry era and I`m fortunate to like them both! As well as the two albums you mentioned there`s a third called `Look Into The Future` which I like a lot. Got it on vinyl whilst the other two I have on cd. Heard sometime ago that all three were due to be remastered but it seems to have been delayed? Not everyone is mad about Aynsley Dunbar but I think he`s a really good drummer. If you haven`t already, check out Jefferson Starships `Freedom At Point Zero` album which he also plays on. Felt a bit sorry for Greg Rolie being gradually edged out of band by Perry. I think Steve Perrys got a superb voice but Rolies a decent singer too. All the best.
[/quote]survivor, great to hear from you, to be fair i don't hate the ealry perry era stuff it just got more and more radio friendly in a bad way. You're quite right, i forgot about the third album, I've got the first 2 on crappy old CD's and I think i have an (illicit) copy on tape stashed away in a very large box of the horrible things probably never to see the light of day! I also have a compilation tape taken from the 1st three albums - called 'in the beginning' i think, picked up in the early 80's when I lived in the US (and developed my taste for classic rock). I check fairly recently for info on remasters as these would be essential purchases! Another classic album, on a similar theme, that seems to have disappeared into the ether, is Santana's 'Oneness, Silver Dreams Golden Reality' - again somewhere in my collection on tape. I have to confess I'm not particularly familiar with JS's output - only really a fan to a limited degree of Jefferson Airplane (White Rabbit etc) - but will look out for it.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="nandjg"][quote user="survivor"][quote user="nandjg"][quote user="survivor"][quote user="JohnDuncan"][quote user="survivor"]Separate Ways (Worlds Apart) Oh yes! Love it, love it, love it! What a cracking way to open an album. Send Her My Love and Faithfully are two more classics from that lp. Do you cover Separate Ways?[/quote]

[/quote]survivor, great to hear from you, to be fair i don't hate the ealry perry era stuff it just got more and more radio friendly in a bad way. You're quite right, i forgot about the third album, I've got the first 2 on crappy old CD's and I think i have an (illicit) copy on tape stashed away in a very large box of the horrible things probably never to see the light of day! I also have a compilation tape taken from the 1st three albums - called 'in the beginning' i think, picked up in the early 80's when I lived in the US (and developed my taste for classic rock). I check fairly recently for info on remasters as these would be essential purchases! Another classic album, on a similar theme, that seems to have disappeared into the ether, is Santana's 'Oneness, Silver Dreams Golden Reality' - again somewhere in my collection on tape. I have to confess I'm not particularly familiar with JS's output - only really a fan to a limited degree of Jefferson Airplane (White Rabbit etc) - but will look out for it.[/quote]

Hi nandjg, just read your reply and good to hear from you to! I can imagine if someone was into Journey early on and then Perry came along and changed the sound they would be a bit cheesed off. I heard the Perry stuff first and then backtracked. Fortunately for me I like both but I would have to say I think of them as two different bands. It would have been nice if the original lineup had done two or three more albums. Oh well.

I`ve only got four or five Santana albums (shameful!) so if you highly recommend it I shall certainly seek out `Oneness`. Thanks for the recommendation, I`m always looking to add to/improve my collection.

Back to Journey. Those first three albums were advertised in Classic Rock ages ago and listed as remastered but theres still no sign! I hate that, when you`re really looking forward to some albums being re-issued and it never happens or takes forever! Lets hope its soon.

Jefferson Starship. Warning! Be very cautious with this lot. They really are a hit and miss affair. However, after all these years of collecting I can honestly say that `Freedom At Point Zero` is still in my top 20 favourite albums of all time. They actually only had this six man line-up together for this one recording and I`ve always wished they`d stayed this way for much longer. There`s loads of good songs on this album including an epic called `Awakening` that really should be known by more classic rock fans than currently do. Keep on rockin`!

A

Anonymous

Mostly been listening to Fletwood Mac, Alice Cooper and Inxs !!

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
`The River` by Bruce Springsteen.

`Songs Of Darkness, Words Of Light` by My Dying Bride.

`Prophet Of The Last Eclipse` by Luca Turilli.

`Strangeways Here We Come` by The Smiths.

`The Long Run` by The Eagles.

`Hark The Village Wait` by Steeleye Span.

`Songs From The Wood` by Jethro Tull.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Pete Townshend's Lifehouse album. Baba O'Riley, the orchestral version, is quite a listen. Good preparation for the savagery of a reckless group of Y9 students.I've been having a bit of a Who and Pete Townshend phase recently and it got me thinking how much I now prefer Pete's voice to Roger's. Thirty years ago I couldn't cope without Daltrey's garbled roar, but now the subtleties of Mr. T win out.

A

Anonymous

Emiliana Torrini - Fisherman's Woman The Field - From here we go sublime Portishead - Third

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts