What are you listening to?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="huddo"]you tube, good call John thanks[/quote]

Every songs on the album are rated from good to excellent, the recording however is the reason why this album is so popular with HiFi lovers everywhere.

Right now I am listening to the best recording cd around....

B00004Y6NU.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

John Duncan

True about the quality of Grace, it's got nice 'space'. As for LOG, I do find it a bit dull, but it's admittedly very good for finding out whether your hifi's any good or not - I now know I can get sound from *outside* my speakers, as well as between them
emotion-1.gif

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]I now know I can get sound from *outside* my speakers, as well as between them
emotion-1.gif
[/quote]

Er...that is a soundstage which is pointless if imaging is not equally good as you end up with just a width with not much in between
emotion-15.gif

T

the record spot

A bit of a mixture this week; Ultravox "Vienna" album, Natalie Merchant's Trilogy set, Johnny Cash and the Def American albums, Ian Dury & The Blockheads "Laughter" album (an underrated classic with a contender for wackiest title out there in "Take Your Elbow Out The Soup, You're Sitting On The Chicken"), Genesis as ever, ELO's "Out of the Blue", a Bessie Smith collection and a few Springsteen tracks off the "Magic" album. The rest of the time it's been Radio 4, BBC Listen Again (fighting Talk) and the odd bit of Radio London.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Last few days I`ve managed to squeeze in -

Marillion - Clutching At Straws (vinyl)

Magna Carta - Ages And Seasons (double cd)

The Trees - The Garden Of Jane Delawney (cd)

ELO - On The Third Day (cd)

Donovan - Mellow Yellow (cd)

Saens - Prophet In A Statistical World (cd)

Lyadrive - Another Time Another Place (cd) Also saw them live at the British Steel Festival at Camden

Rolling Stones - Aftermath (vinyl)

Anne Murray - The Best...So Far (cd)

Bruce Dickinson - Accident Of Birth (cd)

Heart - Magazine (cd)

The Mission - Masque (vinyl)

Neil Young - Zuma (cd)

Abba - Ring Ring (cd)

Opeth - Blackwater Park (cd)

Concrete Blonde - Concrete Blonde (cd)

My Ship Is Coming In - The Walker Brothers (7")

Your Baby Aint Your Baby Anymore - Paul Da Vinci (7")

Not bad for just a few days!

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
DJ Yoda - How To Cut And Paste 80s Edition (CD) / Pan Sonic - Katodivaihe (absolutely mental - feel like a system test? try this) (CD) / various bits and pieces by Rhythm & Sound (LP and CD) / Sonic Subjunkies - Molotov Lounge (LP) / various Sarah Vaughan and Louis Armstrong (LP) / AFX - Analord series (LP) / Bob Marley - various LP pressings of Exodus in a search for a decent one! / not music but have been going through some of the 70s BBC radio play adaptations of Raymond Chandler's novels - highly recommended (CD)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JohnDuncan"]Not to pre-empt TM's response, but from my PoV he's an acquired taste - not immediate, but quite seductive eventually. Simply Vinyl used to do a 180g pressing of 'Grace' if you can find it (and if you have a t/t, obviously). Youtube has some stuff if you want to check him out for free first.[/quote]I found that it was a bit whiney really, but seems to be really popular. I'd take a guess that the original of hallelujah is better than Jeff's cover though. currently listening to Smog - Dongs of Sevotion. Perfect midnight music. It was preceded by Bpnney Prince Billy - The Letting Go What's Vampire Weekend like btw?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]
Metallica_and_justice_for_all_a.jpg

[/quote]this wouldbe why i started this thread, i almost never put that on these days!

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
Fast Eddie (and any other Metallica lovers), if you listen to LPs, you may be interested in this http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?item=600703

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
The Vampire Weekend cd is a good debut album, it's extremely catchy with some great musicianship. Not normally my cup of tea (I tend to like more aggressive music) but once this gets into your head you'll be humming the toons all day long. There's an African feel to the songs and the keyboard playing sounds almost classical at times but the sum of the parts make it really enjoyable. Check it out FE.

A

Anonymous

I'm off to buy the 1812 overture and holst's planets, so may pick it up at the same time. this morning i've been listening to:
miceparade_obrigado.jpg
vastdl.jpg
58904.jpg

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Tear Drop"]Fast Eddie (and any other Metallica lovers), if you listen to LPs, you may be interested in this http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?item=600703[/quote] I have just heard these and they are NOT good, no bass whatsoever, a really bad mastering job, thin sounding. Comparing to my older copies confirms this. I take back my recommendation unreservedly. AVOID THE NEW METALLICA HALF-SPEED MASTERS ON LP.

John Duncan

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
[quote user="Tear Drop"]AVOID THE NEW METALLICA HALF-SPEED MASTERS ON LP.[/quote]

Because it means those interminable songs go on twice as long.
[/quote]

Is it possible for something interminable to go on twice as long? Mathematically speaking, i mean.

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]Because it means those interminable songs go on twice as long[/quote] How original, I've never seen musical snobbery on a hifi forum before...

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Tear Drop"]How original, I've never seen musical snobbery on a hifi forum before...[/quote] You haven't been looking hard enough. Anyhow, today's favourite is the new(ish) Four Tet e.p. 'Ringer'. Every home should have one.

John Duncan

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
[quote user="Tear Drop"]How original, I've never seen musical snobbery on a hifi forum before...[/quote]

Not snobbery - metal fatigue.
[/quote]

Ah now, Allan Holdsworth, that's better. That up-a-tone/down-a-tone harmonised riff - genius.........

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Simon Lucas"]today's favourite is the new(ish) Four Tet e.p. 'Ringer'.[/quote]

I just check them out on youtube....it is a bit wierd!

right now I am listening to

B000002OZY.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Simon Lucas"]Stupendous choice, Thaiman. 'Tommy' is aces.
My favourite Who (and I say this partly for Mr E's benefit) is 'A Quick One, While He's Away'
[/quote]Nah, whilst AQOWHA is the precursor to Tommy, ...Sell Out does knock it into a cocked hat! Although, saying that, 'So Sad About Us' is a blinder of a song... mind you I can't complain, I'm currently listening to the Strawbs, beards and banjo's anyone?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts