What are you listening to?

Page 379 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

drichardb

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Grace for Drowning by Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree)

This is by far the best sounding CD I have bought for fricking YEARS.

Ripped it to FLAC and audacity confirms what I thought - Dynamics in abundance.

If you want a break from the brickwall sound of most modern productions, give this a spin and enjoy.

matthewpiano

617owXFd5oL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
51cWF0KaYLL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

61LfovbvJvL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

matthewpiano

michael hoy said:
matthewpiano said:

Matthew,

Is this album any good, both content and SACD wise.

Hi. I love the content and I think it is one of the best albums the Moodies made. I can't comment on the SACD side as I don't have an SACD player but the standard CD layer sounds very good - open and clear. I listened to a bit of the 'Ballads' compilation first and couldn't stand the sound - compressed and closed in. The actual albums have been treated much better IMO.

matthewpiano

41Y018%2BJ%2BQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
41z7SyA6dNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I really love Dire Straits' debut album. Not so sure about the new one from Field Music. The sound quality is excellent (and they make a note in the booklet about using less compression than is now normal) and some of the musical ideas are quite good but I'm not sure it really sounds like a finished, cohesive whole. 35 minutes is also a bit on the short side, although probably a result of their seeming inability to extend and develop their ideas...

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
On CD, not heard this one for a good while..

5143O0MAd8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Excellent album, with a superb re-working of Richard Thompson's 1952 Vincent Black Lightning, possibly the greatest song I've ever heard.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts