What are you listening to?

Page 36 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

mike aitch

Feb 9, 2008
Visit site
anything i can get hold of by a new irish band called in case of fire,album due soon.revisiting old pearl jam albums.everyone should give fightstar a listen, get past charlie simpson's previous incarnation,best young british rock band around imho,fantastic live.

A

Anonymous

As we obvioulsy have a mutual love of the Allman Bros, are you familiar with Derek Trucks - plays lead, slide & acoustic with Allmans and his Uncle is original member Butch. The Derek Trucks Band is well worth a listen although perhaps not to everyones taste, very eclectic mix of music including jazzy influences, blues, afro caribbean & asian. A good starting point is Songlines.

In my experience American rock radio is light years ahead of the UK, spent 5 of my late 'formative' years in the 80's in Florida cutting my music teeth listening to Led Zep, et al (rightly worshipped as gods in the US of A)on rock radio. Having no previous experience of anything outside Radio 1 this was of course quite an eye opener for me!! Having said that DAB appears to have narrowed the gap now with the likes of the rather good Planet Rock.

Currently listening to Jethro Tull's Broadsword & the Beast remaster - greatly underrated album. Coincidentally saw them on that tour in '82 (or thereabouts) in Florida by which time they had, in Ian Anderson's own words de-masted the absurdity of the Spinal Tap type pirates ship and paired down the set to simple strobes effects (oh and a park bench) - one of the greatest concerts I've ever seen.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Pear Jam - Ten. Never fails to please 
emotion-2.gif

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
Big Chris:Drummerdave:Big Chris:
TimesOfGrace.jpeg

327087.jpg

Not listened to seperately, but at exactly the same time. Times of Grace on the Hi-Fi, and Grace through the home cinema.

I don't know of any other artists that have made a CD along with a counterpart, designed to be played at the same time.........Those wacky Neurosis boys!

Sounds great Chris, love Neurosis (and avant garde stuff like that). Boris released a double album on vinyl called Dronevil which was supposed to be played simultaneously on two turntables. Haven't heard it but it's an interesting concept.

Speaking of Neurosis, I read on Pitchfork that the main geezer(can't remember his name)is forming a doom metal supergroup of sorts called Shrinebuilder with members of Tribes of Neurot and Harvey Milk - Dale Crover is playing drums and being a huge Melvins fan I'm looking forward to hearing the result - I believe they're recording now in LA.

Currently listening to Leviathan by Mastodon - an xmas prezzie from my daughter.

Dunno if you've heard 'The Ocean' Dave, but I saw them a couple of months back when I saw Opeth & Cynic at Shepherds Bush. They have an album out called 'Precambrian'. It's a double album. Reminds me of Isis & Neurosis as well as having a slightly more 'metal' approach (I can hear elements of 'The Red Chord' in it too). It's worth a listen.

Neurosis main geezer......Mmmmmm........Steve Von Till? Scott Kelly?

I've heard of The Ocean Chris, must give them a listen.

It's Scott Kelly.

A

Anonymous

The stone roses, just a brilliant album. Really easy listening. love it!

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
coolaboola:santana's abraxas is a great album also. I rediscovered this week.He recorded it after woodstock I think.

Yeah agee with that, "Mothers Daughter" off Abraxas is my favourite Santana track off all time.

Currently playing Deep Purple "Made in Japan"(vinyl) to be followed by some Rory Gallagher.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Pearl Jam - 'No Code'. I feel it's their most under-rated album. It's my favourite after 'Ten'. The whole album has a 'live' feel to it and was probably the last album before Eddie's voice started to lose it's range. 

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
bretty:Pearl Jam - 'No Code'. I feel it's their most under-rated album. It's my favourite after 'Ten'. The whole album has a 'live' feel to it and was probably the last album before Eddie's voice started to lose it's range.

Note 'Lose', not 'loose'. Also it's 'bass', not 'base'. Schools must really suck, these days. Minor matter, but it pulls at my plums.  

A

Anonymous

well here's a few that get a weekly rotation

Machine Head - The blackening

Tool - 10,000 Days

Opeth - Blackwater Park

- Watershed

- Damnation

Porcupine Tree - Deadwing

- Fear of a Blank Planet

Meshuggah - Obzen

Grand Magus - Iron Will

Gojira - The Way of All Flesh

Avenged Sevenfold - Avenged Sevenfold

just to name a few.

TitusG

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
Super furry's : songbook

Friendly fires

EELs : daisies of the galaxy

Johnny Cash : folsolm prison

young knives : superabundance

matthewpiano

survivor:
strawbs.jpg

The Strawbs - Ghosts (cd)

'Tell me children, are you sleeping? Are you innocent like me? May you never cross the line, I hope your dreams are not like mine.'

A line sung with Dave Lambert's trademark passion in the title track of the album. I love this album and I love the Strawbs. I've seen them several times, both acoustic and electric and they put in a fabulous performance every time. Dave Cousins is a great raconteur as well as a great songwriter and performer, and its always a pleasure to hear him describe the circumstances in which the songs were written. Having met DC, DL and Chas Cronk I can also say what genuinely lovely people they are.

The Strawbs, along with Barclay James Harvest, are one of the most tragically under rated of all British bands in my opinion. A wonderful body of work. Their latest album, 'The Broken Hearted Bride' is as good as anything they have ever done.

Anyone interested in looking further into Strawbs should look at www.strawbsweb.co.uk, the official website run by **** Greener.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:survivor:

strawbs.jpg

The Strawbs - Ghosts (cd)

The Strawbs, along with Barclay James Harvest, are one of the most tragically under rated of all British bands in my opinion. A wonderful body of work. Their latest album, 'The Broken Hearted Bride' is as good as anything they have ever done. Anyone interested in looking further into Strawbs should look at www.strawbsweb.co.uk, the official website run by **** Greener.

Very underrated. Of the six Strawbs albums I own `Ghosts` is my favourite. Stunning piece of work. Shall be ordering their latest album very shortly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts