What are you listening to?

Page 140 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

idc

Survivor, now I know that was you listening to the Sex Pistols and Barry Manilow in the same session! I'm presently enjoying some Canadian heavy metal from Voivod and 'Infini'. It reminds me of Motorhead and The Kings of Leon and their energy.

41Wr9iVItTL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

A

Anonymous

daveh75:

61XDBpdZJbL._SS500_.jpg

I need to find some steeleye span. Remember mydad playing it a fair amount when i was young.

Listening/listened to:

Seasick Steve
- Man from another time

Loudon Wainwright III
- Album 3
- Career Moves
- So Damn Happy

The hifi is sounding really good tonight.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
idc:

Survivor, now I know that was you listening to the Sex Pistols and Barry Manilow in the same session! I'm presently enjoying some Canadian heavy metal from Voivod and 'Infini'. It reminds me of Motorhead and The Kings of Leon and their energy.

41Wr9iVItTL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

When I first got into music in a big way it was the mid/late 70`s and there seemed to be so much going on I didn`t know where to turn to/listen to next. Through the years I`ve discovered how much had gone before that I`d missed out on and however much time I spend and how much money I throw at the hobby I doubt I shall ever discover as much as I`d like to. All I need is a couple of hundred years, unlimited funds and plenty of shelf space! Quick word about Mr Manilow. I`ve always felt his records contained a lot of drama and passion. I remember him saying some years back when grunge was big that his power ballads could match Nirvana`s intensity. Think he said that because Nirvana were all over the airwaves and he`d fallen out of favour with the major radio stations some years before. I understand where he was coming from. Anyway...

I must say how prolific you have been of late! Have you found all of these albums on Spotify? Are you making a list of favourites to purchase at a later date or are you content to just listen to them on Spotty? I`d like to buy that Anokdoten album I played the other day but not sure at moment wether to buy it on cd or try and track down a copy on vinyl? See you later.

daveh75

fast eddie:daveh75:
61GTozlwU2L._SS500_.jpg

613zrkHfV-L._SS500_.jpg

Are these any good?The Lynyrd Skynyrd album isn't thier best work,far from it in fact and i probably wouldn't have bought it if i'd listened to it first......

The Drive By Truckers-SRO on the other hand is an excellent album. Both are probably available on Spotify if you have an account.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
fast eddie:daveh75:

61XDBpdZJbL._SS500_.jpg

I need to find some steeleye span. Remember mydad playing it a fair amount when i was young.

Hi Eddie. If you go to Amazon they`ve got `Lark In The Morning` 2 cd set which contains Steeleye`s first three albums and it`s at the crazy price of £4.98! You may well want to go onto some of the slightly later classic albums as well but for under a fiver you can`t go wrong with this one!

A

Anonymous

cheers guys. i think the steeleye span album i am thinking of was a best of so it'll be good to hear other stuff too.

Thats two albums to add to the shopping list

idc

survivor: I must say how prolific you have been of late! Have you found all of these albums on Spotify? Are you making a list of favourites to purchase at a later date or are you content to just listen to them on Spotty? I`d like to buy that Anokdoten album I played the other day but not sure at moment wether to buy it on cd or try and track down a copy on vinyl? See you later.

I've been on holiday whilst my son has still been at school for part of the time, so plenty of time to be prolific. The search for prog has been enabled by more and more music arriving on Spotify. I am sure that since both Spotify and Anekdoten are Swedish has helped my quest for prog. I am very happy with the sound of Spotify through my system, it is easily comparible to itunes and WMP with lossless files. But I struggle to differentiate between 320kbps and lossless in bit rate comparisons anyway. I dont see the point in going out and buying the CD.

Anekdoten are not available in the music shops in Glasgow I have looked at out of interest. Amazon is probably your best bet.

Presently listening to some original English prog from 1970 with High Tide and their self titled album. They combine the thundering drums of Ginger Baker and Cream with a thrashing guitar and violin.

41RYY78QW6L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

A

Anonymous

bretty:Miles Davis - Kind Of BlueExcellent album. Not listened to it in ages.

idc

Firstly Renaissance and their self titled debute album. The keyboards are fabulous which lead me to Traffic and Blind Faith, bit of which I had on cassette many years ago. Neither made it to my CD collection, so it great to have them available again on Spotify.

41XdJvc-%2B4L._SL500_AA240_.jpg
51ZYDCpLWbL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
51F4qeGnsXL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

idc

Pentangle and 'Reflection' which contains some of the best guitar playing I have ever heard. Bert Jansch is already lined up for later. I am not so keen on the folk style vocals, but it is still an excellent album from a sub genre of prog I have not bothered with before. Then, because of listening to the likes of Blind Faith I have tried Jack Bruce's 1969 solo album 'Songs for a Tailor'. It is absolutely brilliant, touches so many different genres and is rocking, funky, folky, accoustic, electric and of course has a mean bass.....

41rpKfXwpzL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
41KB5E3843L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

idc

High Tide's 'Sea Shanties' from 1969 may sound like it should be folk, but it is very far removed from that genre. High Tide are heralded as one of the originators of heavy metal/prog metal. The thrashing guitar and mad violin make them sound a bit like the Doors gone mad. The recording is poor and the solos just go on and on. If High Tide had kept their music down to snappy 3 minute thrash tracks with verse, chorus, verse they would be heralded as a punk originator. But they didnt and ended up sinking into obscurity as opposed to riding high. After struggling through High Tide I decided to have another listen to Hawkwind and their 1971 album 'In Search of Space'. They are a band I have always failed to get and another attempt has again failed. Just as with High Tide I find the soloing too much and the rambling nature of the music fails to grab me.

512TMJK3KQL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
51XPE3ABCAL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

idc

I have been left in peace today so time for an excellent listening session. After the aboves aural assault I have finished off with Bert Jansch. I think I might finally be getting into some folk music. This is purely accoustic guitar and Jansch's mellodious vocals make it a very peaceful listen. It is perfect on headphones. The detail with the guitarwork is so clear that I can tell different tracks have been played in different rooms and/or with different recording equipment because of the slight echoes.

'Courting Blues' sounds as if it was played in the middle of a large room. The next track 'Casbah' sounds as if the microphone is right next to the guitar. At the start of 'Dreams of Love' I can hear Jansch sigh just before he takes his first breath to start singing. A very intimate album.

516RzKS-l0L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts